recursive calls on Script object?

Ralph Johnson
I've been extending a system that is mainly in Groovy.   It has a database that includes thousands of scripts, each of which gets turned into a Script object.  Most are very small, but a few are large.  Often one script calls another.  In fact, the call hierarchy of scripts can get pretty deep.  There is nothing to prevent these scripts from being recursive, though I don't think any are.

I ran into a problem where bindings were being reused inappropriately, and it made me study Scripts in more detail.   It looks to me like a script that calls itself recursively will reuse the original binding.  That is because you set the binding with setBinding and then just use the existing binding when you call evaluate().   I would prefer a design in which you would pass in the binding to evaluate() so that a script could call itself recursively or you could have two concurrent evaluations of a script in different threads.

Now, it is possible that recursion works fine on Scripts.   I haven't tested it.  Perhaps the execution of a Script clones the relevant info including the binding and changing the binding during the execution of a Script will have no effect on the Script.   I couldn't find any documentation that said anything about this.  I will do some experiments, but it will be a lot of work because I have to change some things in our system before I can use it for the experiments.  So, I thought I would ask here first.

I tried cloning a Script.   I know that compiling a Script creates a subclass of Script and the result is a unique instance of that class.   I imagined that the instance held the binding and used it as a delegate.  I figured we could clone the Script instance, set a new binding, and all would be well.   However, Scripts don't seem to like to be cloned.   If Scripts don't like to call themselves recursively, is there any way to make a copy so each call can be to a unique instance?

-Ralph Johnson