next releases

paulk_asert
I am thinking we should do a 2.5.0-beta-1 release and possibly a 2.4.9
in a couple of weeks time. For 2.5.0-beta-1, it would be nice to have
the groovy macro PR reviewed and added (I know several of us have a
review on our TODO lists) but I think if we don't get it reviewed we
can do that in a beta-2. I suspect there are other thing in 2.5.0 that
we need feedback on that we won't get unless we do some kind of
release.

Thoughts?

Re: next releases

Hi Paul,

      Will the new parser Parrot be included in 2.5.x releases as an optional parser? If developers want to give it a try, just turn on the switch "-Dgroovy.antlr4=true".

Re: next releases

sbglasius
Can the parrot be packaged as separate jar that can be a dependency? That way it can be included at will

On Tue, 17 Jan 2017 at 09:56 Guillaume Laforge <[hidden email]> wrote:
This is a beta, not the final release, though.

On Tue, Jan 17, 2017 at 9:54 AM, Cédric Champeau <[hidden email]> wrote:
I'm reluctant on adding the experimental parser in a release. It requires a different version of antlr, which means more dependencies than we really need. We should keep the distribution as clean as possible. Not saying that the new parser is dirty, but that the size and dependencies of the distribution should remain as small as possible.

Hi Paul,

      Will the new parser Parrot be included in 2.5.x releases as an
optional parser? If developers want to give it a try, just turn on the
switch "-Dgroovy.antlr4=true".

Best regards / Med venlig hilsen,
Søren Berg Glasius

Hedevej 1, Gl. Rye, 8680 Ry, Denmark
Mobile: +45 40 44 91 88, Skype: sbglasius

Re: next releases

Cédric Champeau
My take is simpler than this. If Parrot should be included in 2.5, then remove the old parser and use it. If it's for 3.0, then it should not belong to the 2.5 beta, or it should be an external dependency (possibly tested by adding a jar manually).

[...]

Mobile: <a href="tel:+45%2040%2044%2091%2088" value="+4540449188" target="_blank">+45 40 44 91 88, Skype: sbglasius

Re: next releases

Russel Winder-3
On Tue, 2017-01-17 at 10:04 +0100, Cédric Champeau wrote:
> My take is simpler than this. If Parrot should be included in 2.5,
> then
> remove the old parser and use it. If it's for 3.0, then it should not
> belong to the 2.5 beta, or it should be an external dependency
> (possibly
> tested by adding a jar manually).

Agreed.

Then the question is whether a new parser is a minor change or a major
change and whether 2.4 → 2.5 is a minor change or a major change.

The 2.5 build still creates jars and indy jars. Isn't it about time we
settle this so there are only one set of jars in a build?

--
Russel.

Re: next releases

On 17.01.2017 10:04, Cédric Champeau wrote:
> My take is simpler than this. If Parrot should be included in 2.5, then
> remove the old parser and use it. If it's for 3.0, then it should not
> belong to the 2.5 beta, or it should be an external dependency (possibly
> tested by adding a jar manually).

My advice is quite different. mere parrot and make it the default... if
something has to be an external dependency than make it so for the old
parser. Otherwise people will not test the new parser.

And this is a beta after all. A bit of experimentation must be allowed
or we could go straight to release candidates

bye jochen
123