moving the Groovy website

paulk_asert

One of the action items we've had since joining Apache is to move our website onto Apache infrastructure. We've made changes to our release process to make it easier to publish a new release's documentation onto the site and we are finally getting around to actually moving the site. This will hopefully happen over the next few weeks and our goal will be to make it as seamless as possible.

More details will follow - this is just a heads-up for anyone planning to make changes to the site for the next little while. Probably best to pre-announce any such changes and I can give advice as to which repo(s) you should target. We might need to make changes in two places for a very short period.

Re: moving the Groovy website

paulk_asert
One question I have. How important is the git history of the website? Is a clean slate copy of all the files to the new repo acceptable? I'd never want to do this for code but is it less of an issue for the site? Note: this doesn't affect user guide doco which is versioned in the code repo along with the code - I'm talking about the fairly static pages on the site (downloads, events, mailing-lists, etc.).

Thanks, Paul.

On Wed, Apr 26, 2017 at 7:57 AM, Paul King <[hidden email]> wrote:

One of the action items we've had since joining Apache is to move our website onto Apache infrastructure. We've made changes to our release process to make it easier to publish a new release's documentation onto the site and we are finally getting around to actually moving the site. This will hopefully happen over the next few weeks and our goal will be to make it as seamless as possible.

More details will follow - this is just a heads-up for anyone planning to make changes to the site for the next little while. Probably best to pre-announce any such changes and I can give advice as to which repo(s) you should target. We might need to make changes in two places for a very short period.

Re: moving the Groovy website

Yeah it's less critical than for our codebase, obviously.
There's not much need to go back'n forth in time, in the history, for the website.
So I think it's okay if we have to drop the history.
There have 44 contributors to the documentation, but a majority was on very small changes, like typos, new user groups, and such. Not big bang changes to the website.