identifying low-hanging fruit tasks for the community

identifying low-hanging fruit tasks for the community

paulk_asert

Hi everyone,

I was asked again recently to identify some potential tasks for various keen members of the community who want to help. We have done this to some degree in the past using various labels on jira tickets but I think perhaps we could look at potential improvements to how we identify and advertise such tasks.

There were two things I was going to try. Firstly, some better consistency in our labels: we currently use these labels (at least - maybe more): beginner, easyfix, contrib, newbie, and help-requested. I was going to try to shrink that list. Secondly, I was thinking we could perhaps use Apache's helpwanted app/page: https://helpwanted.apache.org/.
I don't know how popular or widely known it is but it seems worth a try.

Thoughts or suggested tickets are welcome.

My initial goal will just be to get a small backlog of such tasks available using a consistent label scheme and fed into the helpwanted app. I am happy to get the ball rolling and advertise what naming scheme I end up selecting (and adding that to the docs) but it will work best if a few folks chime in and get their favourite tasks added to the list(s). We don't need an extensive list of tasks, just ones that are easy for contributors to identify and for us to identify too so that we can ensure they remain up to date and contain the needed info for contributors to get started relatively easily.

For anyone interested, the search I used:

Re: identifying low-hanging fruit tasks for the community

jwagenleitner
I think that's a great idea.  The Contribute page [1] on groovy-lang.org currently links to the 'contrib' label for "..possible easy contributions that could get you started on your journey to become a Groovy committer."  I used that link when I first started looking for ways to contribute.  I think any label name is good as long as it's used consistently and some efforts are made to provide pointers in the comments.

Just a few suggested tickets to add to the list

On Tue, May 2, 2017 at 6:36 AM, Paul King <[hidden email]> wrote:

[...]

Hi Paul,

     Apache Groovy really needs more help from community.
     I like your idea :)

Re: identifying low-hanging fruit tasks for the community

jnorthr
CONTENTS DELETED
The author has deleted this message.

Re: identifying low-hanging fruit tasks for the community

paulk_asert
Okay, I went through all of the contrib-like tasks and now all use just the {{contrib}} label to indicate they are ready for external contributors[1]. I also added 4 of these (to start with) into the Apache help wanted app[2].

Please feel free to add some more. And when you do, please tick both Java and Groovy as the languages needed. Also, try to give as much detail as you can to indicate what we think the desired direction is - revamp the Jira ticket slightly if needed. If we do get some new contributors, they might just need a little nudge in the right direction.

We'll see if that app brings additional eyeballs.

Cheers, Paul.
P.S. Next step is to better document some roadmap items but I'll kick that off in another email.

Cheers, Paul.

On Wed, May 3, 2017 at 7:01 PM, jim northrop <[hidden email]> wrote:
+1 for Daniel & Paul's idea
sometimes my few spare hours can be devoted to improving Groovy to everyone's benefit but we need an easier way to identify low-hanging fruit ;-)
thx
jim