groovysh crash using 2.4.0, Windows XP, and Java 1.7.0_75

groovysh crash using 2.4.0, Windows XP, and Java 1.7.0_75

Caitlin
Hi all.

I asked this question on StackOverflow, but my inquiry did not generate a useful response. Using the latest version of Groovy (as of this writing), 2.4.0, and Windows XP (sp3), I have encountered a familiar but perplexing error:
C:\>groovysh
java:57)
        at sun.reflect.DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(DelegatingMethodAcces
sorImpl.java:43)
        at org.codehaus.groovy.tools.GroovyStarter.rootLoader(GroovyStarter.java
:106)
        at org.codehaus.groovy.tools.GroovyStarter.main(GroovyStarter.java:128)
Caused by: groovy.lang.MissingPropertyException: No such property: leftPadding f
or class: org.codehaus.groovy.tools.shell.util.HelpFormatter
        at org.codehaus.groovy.runtime.ScriptBytecodeAdapter.unwrap(ScriptByteco
deAdapter.java:51)
        at org.codehaus.groovy.runtime.ScriptBytecodeAdapter.setGroovyObjectProp
erty(ScriptBytecodeAdapter.java:532)
        at org.codehaus.groovy.tools.shell.util.HelpFormatter.<init>(HelpFormatt
er.groovy:39)

        at sun.reflect.NativeConstructorAccessorImpl.newInstance(NativeConstruct
orAccessorImpl.java:57)
        at sun.reflect.DelegatingConstructorAccessorImpl.newInstance(DelegatingC
onstructorAccessorImpl.java:45)
        at java.lang.reflect.Constructor.newInstance(Constructor.java:526)
        at org.codehaus.groovy.reflection.CachedConstructor.invoke(CachedConstru
ctor.java:77)
        at org.codehaus.groovy.runtime.callsite.ConstructorSite$ConstructorSiteN
oUnwrapNoCoerce.callConstructor(ConstructorSite.java:102)
        at org.codehaus.groovy.runtime.callsite.CallSiteArray.defaultCallConstru
ctor(CallSiteArray.java:57)
        at org.codehaus.groovy.runtime.callsite.AbstractCallSite.callConstructor
(AbstractCallSite.java:230)
        at org.codehaus.groovy.runtime.callsite.AbstractCallSite.callConstructor
(AbstractCallSite.java:234)
        at org.codehaus.groovy.tools.shell.Main.main(Main.groovy:68)
        ... 6 more

I deleted the previous install of Groovy (2.3.9), the GROOVY_HOME variable is set and my path variable reads: C:\groovy-2.4.0\bin. I can run and compile groovy programs without a problem yet the aforementioned issue with groovysh remains. I can also compile and run java programs without difficulty.

Thanks,

~Caitlin

Re: groovysh crash using 2.4.0, Windows XP, and Java 1.7.0_75

Thibault Kruse
The question at SO is here
http://stackoverflow.com/questions/28081963/groovysh-crashes-under-java-1-7-0-75-windows-xp/

I replied there.