[groovy-user] Neat setup for running scripts

[groovy-user] Neat setup for running scripts

Edward Povazan
Hello,

Maybe this is familiar to some of you:
Initially I used groovy from a bash shell under cygwin. I ran command line stuff
from here.
Then I wanted a groovy shell open, so I opened another terminal window.
Then I wanted one for my grails stuff - another terminal.
Well, you get the picture, I normally have at least 5 terminal windows and
finding which one is which was getting annoying. And then there are the
temporary ones (ssh, ftp, etc).

So I went back to the dark ages (back to my computer science days, hey I am only
in my 30's!) when all I had to play with was a nice green glow of terminals, and
one lovely Sun workstation we all fought over.

Before I start rambling too much:
I start an X session(>>startx)
I open as many terminals as I want in one nice screen.
When I code, I run the output through less:
 >>groovy Something.groovy | less -Oout.txt
With less I can search the exceptions by package (type '/' and the search term)
And the output is nicely scrollable ('q' to quit). Very nice to quickly locate
the my code between all the groovy package names in the stack trace. And if I
need to look at it again after quiting, it is written to the output file.

Geez, 15 years goes by, and 'progress' sends me back to my roots. I have a flood
of memories coming back, as well as a perverse need to run vi!
Anyways, it is quite the nicest playground I have had in a while, maybe someone
else sitting in MSWindows land will find it fun and useful too :)

-Ed

Re: [groovy-user] Neat setup for running scripts

Jochen Theodorou
Edward Povazan schrieb:
[...]
> Geez, 15 years goes by, and 'progress' sends me back to my roots. I have
> a flood of memories coming back, as well as a perverse need to run vi!
> Anyways, it is quite the nicest playground I have had in a while, maybe
> someone else sitting in MSWindows land will find it fun and useful too :)

hehe, you know, there is always cygwin and msys for Windows. Besides
that I such things in my server, which is linux.... I don't these things
are old, they are usefull tools. Newer doesn't always mean better. When
you look at the essential functionality of software, you will see that
most haven't improved so much. It just got more complicated and flooded
with unneeded features. Compare writing a letter today with late 80s for
example... Hey, I really like MSWorks that time, and I neer liked Office.

Jochen Theodorou wrote:
> hehe, you know, there is always cygwin and msys for Windows. Besides
> that I such things in my server, which is linux.... I don't these things
> are old, they are usefull tools. Newer doesn't always mean better. When
> you look at the essential functionality of software, you will see that
> most haven't improved so much. It just got more complicated and flooded
> with unneeded features. Compare writing a letter today with late 80s for
> example... Hey, I really like MSWorks that time, and I neer liked Office.
>
> bye blackdrag

Yes, I run cygwin. But I develop on a laptop, so there is only so much alt-tab
can do before it gets confusing. So running X lets me have one screen for
command line stuff, which is very nice - kind of like trying to have 10 web
pages open at once without tabbed browsing!
Oh, one last neat thing: Alt+/ in Eclipse == code completion for Groovy!
Actually, for any document that has typed what you want to complete at least
once before.

-Ed

Re: [groovy-user] Neat setup for running scripts

Russel Winder
On Thu, 2006-06-01 at 10:45 -0700, Edward Povazan wrote:

> I start an X session(>>startx)
> I open as many terminals as I want in one nice screen.
> When I code, I run the output through less:
>  >>groovy Something.groovy | less -Oout.txt
> With less I can search the exceptions by package (type '/' and the search term)
> And the output is nicely scrollable ('q' to quit). Very nice to quickly locate
> the my code between all the groovy package names in the stack trace. And if I
> need to look at it again after quiting, it is written to the output file.

Another alternative would be to reformat the disk completely and load
Ubuntu then you use X.org all the time and can have as many virtual
desktops as you want -- I generally work with 4.

If you get withdrawal symptoms from not using M$ Windwoes you can always
load a machine virtualizer (Xen, VMWare, Bochs, Qemu, VirtualPC, etc.)
and create a Windows virtual machine running as a window on Ubuntu.

> Geez, 15 years goes by, and 'progress' sends me back to my roots. I have a flood
> of memories coming back, as well as a perverse need to run vi!
> Anyways, it is quite the nicest playground I have had in a while, maybe someone
> else sitting in MSWindows land will find it fun and useful too :)

vim is supposed to be good but I am an XEmacs-oholic -- statefull vs
stateless editing, I far prefer stateless.
--
Russel.
Dr Russel Winder                +44 20 7585 2200

Russel Winder schrieb:

> On Thu, 2006-06-01 at 10:45 -0700, Edward Povazan wrote:
>
>> I start an X session(>>startx)
>> I open as many terminals as I want in one nice screen.
>> When I code, I run the output through less:
>>  >>groovy Something.groovy | less -Oout.txt
>> With less I can search the exceptions by package (type '/' and the search term)
>> And the output is nicely scrollable ('q' to quit). Very nice to quickly locate
>> the my code between all the groovy package names in the stack trace. And if I
>> need to look at it again after quiting, it is written to the output file.
>
> Another alternative would be to reformat the disk completely and load
> Ubuntu then you use X.org all the time and can have as many virtual
> desktops as you want -- I generally work with 4.

you will lough, but the only reason I still use Windows on the Desktop..
ok, two.. is that the fonts are crucial on a normal linux. I can see
that very much on my laptop. Besides that most of my programs are also
available under Windows... just from time to time I like to play a game
;) just for in between, and then it is good if I don't have to restart
and if I don't have to work several hours to get wine running it.

> If you get withdrawal symptoms from not using M$ Windwoes you can always
> load a machine virtualizer (Xen, VMWare, Bochs, Qemu, VirtualPC, etc.)
> and create a Windows virtual machine running as a window on Ubuntu.

Bochs is very slow becuase the processor is emulated. Ah, don't forget
DosBox! very nice tool to get old dos programms running under windows.

On Fri, 2006-06-02 at 11:42 +0200, Jochen Theodorou wrote:

> you will lough, but the only reason I still use Windows on the Desktop..
> ok, two.. is that the fonts are crucial on a normal linux. I can see
> that very much on my laptop. Besides that most of my programs are also
> available under Windows... just from time to time I like to play a game
> ;) just for in between, and then it is good if I don't have to restart
> and if I don't have to work several hours to get wine running it.

PostScript, TrueType and OpenType fonts all work fine under Ubuntu,
indeed actually work better than they do under Windows.  Well assuming
you are using Gnome or KDE -- X on it's own just renders those awful
bitmap fonts.  If you are having difficulties with fonts on an LCD
screen with Gnome or KDE, it probably means you have not set up
anti-aliasing with hinting.

Games often do require Windoze though more and more of the good title
are now coming out on Linux.

> Bochs is very slow becuase the processor is emulated. Ah, don't forget
> DosBox! very nice tool to get old dos programms running under windows.

Bochs lack of speed led to Qemu but I think Xen is probably the leader
now amongst the free stuff.  VMWare is very good if you have the cash.
--
Russel.
Dr Russel Winder                +44 20 7585 2200
41 Buckmaster Road              +44 7770 465 077
London SW11 1EN, UK             [hidden email]

Re: [groovy-user] Neat setup for running scripts

Ryan.Misek
Most people don't know about this but MS has put out some pretty cool
"PowerToys" for WinXP and one actually is a virtual desktop system just as
you are used to in X.

Here's the link to MS's page for them:

Thank you,
Ryan Misek
(402) 351-4752
I/S GBS eBusiness Support
Mutual of Omaha

             "Russel Winder"
             <[hidden email]
             g.uk>                                                      To
                                       [hidden email]
             06/02/2006 03:14                                           cc
             AM
                                                                   Subject
                                       Re: [groovy-user] Neat setup for
             Please respond to         running scripts
             [hidden email]
                  aus.org

Russel Winder wrote:
> Another alternative would be to reformat the disk completely and load
> Ubuntu then you use X.org all the time and can have as many virtual
> desktops as you want -- I generally work with 4.
Hah, funny, you were reading my mind. Only recently has MSWindows started really
annoying me - since I only use the OS (all other apps Java or Mozilla or OO.O),
it must have realized this and started doing things to get my attention.

Perhaps a weekend project on my other laptop to see how it goes.

Thanks
-Ed

Re: [groovy-user] Neat setup for running scripts

tugwilson

On 2 Jun 2006, at 13:12, Russel Winder wrote:

> Bochs lack of speed led to Qemu but I think Xen is probably the leader
> now amongst the free stuff.  VMWare is very good if you have the cash.

VMWare is, indeed very good and is now free (as in beer) unless you
want to use the hypervisor (i.e. the code layer which runs on bare
metal and runs the guest OSes on top). Theree is a growing community
of pre-packaged OS images which have some reaaly cool environments
(the download size is quite large, though).

Take a look at http://www.vmware.com/vmtn/appliances/directory/

John Wilson
The Wilson Partnership
web http://www.wilson.co.uk
blog http://eek.ook.org

Re: [groovy-user] Neat setup for running scripts

Ivan F. Villanueva B.-2
On Thu, Jun 01, 2006 10:45:42AM -0700, Edward Povazan wrote:
> Maybe this is familiar to some of you:
> Initially I used groovy from a bash shell under cygwin. I ran command line
> stuff from here.
> Then I wanted a groovy shell open, so I opened another terminal window.
> Then I wanted one for my grails stuff - another terminal.
> Well, you get the picture, I normally have at least 5 terminal windows and
> finding [...]

I switched to Linux two years ago and I'm so happy of having done so. There is
for everything a great program that optimizes the task you do, programmed by
really good people, that you can always contact, for the sake of being better.
For people using consoles (I use vim and mutt-ng a lot, they are great), this
window manager is really a revolution:
www.wmii.de
Forget having more that one desktop, tags are much more better.

--
Ivan F. Villanueva B.
A.I. library:   http://www.artificialidea.com