groovy shell in windows exits immediately when run from within Eclipse

groovy shell in windows exits immediately when run from within Eclipse

Andrew Eisenberg
Hi there,

I'm struggling with something on the Groovy-Eclipse plugin and I'm
hoping that some of you here with more jline experience might have an
idea of what is going on.

In the Groovy Eclipse plugin, there is an option to run a groovy
shell.  This starts a new java process, executes the
groovy.ui.InteractiveShell class, and links it to an Eclipse console.
Fairly straight forward and this works fine on mac.  However, on
windows the process starts up and immediately exits.

Stepping through the debugger and it seems like the shell just assumes
that there is no input to receive and so simply exits.  My guess is
that this has something to do with how the jline library handles the
console and standard input.  Is there some kind of environment
variable that I need to set?

thanks,
--andrew

Re: groovy shell in windows exits immediately when run from within Eclipse

Andrew Eisenberg
Bump?

We are trying to release M1 of the groovy-eclipse plugin and this is
one of the last remaining bugs open.

On Wed, Sep 23, 2009 at 8:46 PM, Andrew Eisenberg <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi there,
>
> I'm struggling with something on the Groovy-Eclipse plugin and I'm
> hoping that some of you here with more jline experience might have an
> idea of what is going on.
>
> In the Groovy Eclipse plugin, there is an option to run a groovy
> shell.  This starts a new java process, executes the
> groovy.ui.InteractiveShell class, and links it to an Eclipse console.
> Fairly straight forward and this works fine on mac.  However, on
> windows the process starts up and immediately exits.
>
> Stepping through the debugger and it seems like the shell just assumes
> that there is no input to receive and so simply exits.  My guess is
> that this has something to do with how the jline library handles the
> console and standard input.  Is there some kind of environment
> variable that I need to set?
>
> thanks,
> --andrew

Re: Re: groovy shell in windows exits immediately when run from within Eclipse

Guillaume Laforge-4
I've not worked on the JLine integration, so I'm not aware of any flag
or anything to set.
But just to know a bit more about this, how does the integration of
that shell works within Eclipse, how do you pass it the input / output
streams?
Perhaps there's something there that is problematic?
Is the jline library / dll present?
Perhaps you can create and pass your own
org.codehaus.groovy.tools.shell.IO subclass to properly pass your own
streams?
Do you see any special kind of error going on, apart from abruptly exiting?

On Fri, Sep 25, 2009 at 19:56, Andrew Eisenberg <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Bump?
>
> We are trying to release M1 of the groovy-eclipse plugin and this is
> one of the last remaining bugs open.
>
> On Wed, Sep 23, 2009 at 8:46 PM, Andrew Eisenberg <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Hi there,
>>
>> I'm struggling with something on the Groovy-Eclipse plugin and I'm
>> hoping that some of you here with more jline experience might have an
>> idea of what is going on.
>>
>> In the Groovy Eclipse plugin, there is an option to run a groovy
>> shell.  This starts a new java process, executes the
>> groovy.ui.InteractiveShell class, and links it to an Eclipse console.
>> Fairly straight forward and this works fine on mac.  However, on
>> windows the process starts up and immediately exits.
>>
>> Stepping through the debugger and it seems like the shell just assumes
>> that there is no input to receive and so simply exits.  My guess is
>> that this has something to do with how the jline library handles the
>> console and standard input.  Is there some kind of environment
>> variable that I need to set?
>>
>> thanks,
>> --andrew

http://www.springsource.com/g2one

Re: Re: groovy shell in windows exits immediately when run from within Eclipse

Jason Dillon
You probably want to set jline.terminal to jline.UnsupportedTerminal,
or ./bin/groovysh -Tnone

--jason

On Sep 28, 2009, at 7:04 PM, Guillaume Laforge wrote:

> I've not worked on the JLine integration, so I'm not aware of any flag
> or anything to set.
> But just to know a bit more about this, how does the integration of
> that shell works within Eclipse, how do you pass it the input / output
> streams?
> Perhaps there's something there that is problematic?
> Is the jline library / dll present?
> Perhaps you can create and pass your own
> org.codehaus.groovy.tools.shell.IO subclass to properly pass your own
> streams?
> Do you see any special kind of error going on, apart from abruptly
> exiting?
>
> On Fri, Sep 25, 2009 at 19:56, Andrew Eisenberg
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Bump?
>>
>> We are trying to release M1 of the groovy-eclipse plugin and this is
>> one of the last remaining bugs open.
>>
>> On Wed, Sep 23, 2009 at 8:46 PM, Andrew Eisenberg <[hidden email]
>> > wrote:
>>> Hi there,
>>>
>>> I'm struggling with something on the Groovy-Eclipse plugin and I'm
>>> hoping that some of you here with more jline experience might have
>>> an
>>> idea of what is going on.
>>>
>>> In the Groovy Eclipse plugin, there is an option to run a groovy
>>> shell.  This starts a new java process, executes the
>>> groovy.ui.InteractiveShell class, and links it to an Eclipse
>>> console.
>>> Fairly straight forward and this works fine on mac.  However, on
>>> windows the process starts up and immediately exits.
>>>
>>> Stepping through the debugger and it seems like the shell just
>>> assumes
>>> that there is no input to receive and so simply exits.  My guess is
>>> that this has something to do with how the jline library handles the
>>> console and standard input.  Is there some kind of environment
>>> variable that I need to set?
>>>
>>> thanks,
>>> --andrew

> Guillaume Laforge
> Groovy Project Manager
> Head of Groovy Development at SpringSource
> http://www.springsource.com/g2one

Re: Re: groovy shell in windows exits immediately when run from within Eclipse

Andrew Eisenberg
Thanks Jason!  That appears to have done the trick.

On Tue, Sep 29, 2009 at 4:48 AM, Jason Dillon <[hidden email]> wrote:

> You probably want to set jline.terminal to jline.UnsupportedTerminal, or
> ./bin/groovysh -Tnone
>
> --jason
>

> On Sep 28, 2009, at 7:04 PM, Guillaume Laforge wrote:
>
>> I've not worked on the JLine integration, so I'm not aware of any flag
>> or anything to set.
>> But just to know a bit more about this, how does the integration of
>> that shell works within Eclipse, how do you pass it the input / output
>> streams?
>> Perhaps there's something there that is problematic?
>> Is the jline library / dll present?
>> Perhaps you can create and pass your own
>> org.codehaus.groovy.tools.shell.IO subclass to properly pass your own
>> streams?
>> Do you see any special kind of error going on, apart from abruptly
>> exiting?
>>
>> On Fri, Sep 25, 2009 at 19:56, Andrew Eisenberg <[hidden email]>
>> wrote:
>>>
>>> Bump?
>>>
>>> We are trying to release M1 of the groovy-eclipse plugin and this is
>>> one of the last remaining bugs open.

>>>   http://xircles.codehaus.org/manage_email
>>>

>> --
>> Guillaume Laforge
>> Groovy Project Manager
>> Head of Groovy Development at SpringSource
>> http://www.springsource.com/g2one

Re: Re: groovy shell in windows exits immediately when run from within Eclipse

Jason Dillon
BTW if you want to get completion and buffer editing working, you
probably have to implement your own jline.Terminal to correspond to
your GUI component.

--jason