groovy + maven

Re: groovy + maven

Andrew Eisenberg
OK.  I updated the snapshot groovy-eclipse-batch to be based off of
the latest from the groovy-eclipse svn repository.  So, now this jar
includes groovy 1.7.10.  This was primarily to help another user who
was having troubles and I haven't done anything for 1.8 yet.  But, 1.8
support is in the plans.  I also want an "official" release of the
compiler support.

On Tue, May 10, 2011 at 11:05 AM, Andrew Eisenberg <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Sure.  Oddly, in the past 3 days, I've had a few people asking for
> this.  I'll see what I can do in the next little bit.
>
> On Tue, May 10, 2011 at 9:58 AM, Travis Schneeberger
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Andrew,
>>
>> When you do get around to updating the groovy-eclipse compiler, let this
>> list know and I'll do some testing. I'm currently working on a pretty large
>> joint java-groovy multimodule maven project (that requires stub gen with
>> gmaven).
>>
>> On Mon, May 9, 2011 at 10:57 PM, Andrew Eisenberg <[hidden email]>
>> wrote:
>>>
>>> Thanks for the update.  I made the change to the wiki.

Re: groovy + maven

Travis Schneeberger

I think getting a non-snapshot release out the door would go a long way to getting people using (testing) this compiler.  Even if the release is a milestone or beta release.

For my organization it would probably be bit controversial using a snapshot dep w/ no hard release timeframe.

Anyway, I'm sure you are aware of this.  Just wanted to give some feedback.  Thanks for your work on this.

-Travis

On May 10, 2011 5:47 PM, "Andrew Eisenberg" <[hidden email]> wrote:
> OK. I updated the snapshot groovy-eclipse-batch to be based off of
> the latest from the groovy-eclipse svn repository. So, now this jar
> includes groovy 1.7.10. This was primarily to help another user who
> was having troubles and I haven't done anything for 1.8 yet. But, 1.8
> support is in the plans. I also want an "official" release of the
> compiler support.
>
> On Tue, May 10, 2011 at 11:05 AM, Andrew Eisenberg <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Sure.  Oddly, in the past 3 days, I've had a few people asking for
>> this.  I'll see what I can do in the next little bit.
>>
>> On Tue, May 10, 2011 at 9:58 AM, Travis Schneeberger
>> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>> Andrew,
>>>
>>> When you do get around to updating the groovy-eclipse compiler, let this
>>> list know and I'll do some testing. I'm currently working on a pretty large
>>> joint java-groovy multimodule maven project (that requires stub gen with
>>> gmaven).

Re: groovy + maven

Johann Burkard

0x54A2C761.asc (1K) Download Attachment
0x54A2C761.asc.sig (100 bytes) Download Attachment

Re: groovy + maven

Andy Clement
Hi Johann,

Can you clarify:

> Now, I am not surprised that this didn't compile because the GrEclipse
> plugin itself doesn't support @Delegate either.
>
> Can we get better support for @Delegate because it's awesome? :-)

I'm not aware of @Delegate not working in groovy-eclipse, want to
raise a jira?  http://jira.codehaus.org/browse/GRECLIPSE
I just tried it and it worked for me (using sample from here:
http://docs.codehaus.org/display/GROOVY/Delegate+transformation ).
There may be particular situations where it doesn't work, that would
be a bug we aren't aware of.

There are two limitations with the support:
1) you may get underlining of references
(http://jira.codehaus.org/browse/GRECLIPSE-686).
2) you cannot reference the delegated fields/methods from java code
(http://jira.codehaus.org/browse/GRECLIPSE-331).  This is entirely
deliberate at the moment.

But using them in the current recommended way should compile and run just fine.

cheers,
Andy

Re: groovy + maven

Johann Burkard

0x54A2C761.asc (1K) Download Attachment
0x54A2C761.asc.sig (100 bytes) Download Attachment

Re: groovy + maven

Johann Burkard

0x54A2C761.asc (1K) Download Attachment
0x54A2C761.asc.sig (100 bytes) Download Attachment

Re: groovy + maven

Andrew Eisenberg
The latest snapshot is 0.5.1-SNAPSHOT.  I'm working on getting an
official release out.

There will be a 1.7.10 version and 1.8.0 version to match the groovy
versions they are compatible with.

> anybody knows if there's an update (i.e. newer than 0.0.1-SNAPSHOT) to
> the GrEclipse Compiler Plugin for Maven? The repo is on S3 and it's not
> browsable.

Re: groovy + maven

Johann Burkard

Hello,

On 05/17/2011 10:43 PM, Andrew Eisenberg wrote:
> The latest snapshot is 0.5.1-SNAPSHOT.  I'm working on getting an
> official release out.

I'm getting this exception with 0.5.1-SNAPSHOT:

java.lang.RuntimeException: Transform
groovy.grape.GrabAnnotationTransformation@14560cf cannot be run
        at
org.codehaus.groovy.transform.ASTTransformationVisitor$3.call(ASTTransformationVisitor.java:418)
        at ...
org/codehaus/groovy/eclipse/GroovyLogManager
        at
org.codehaus.groovy.transform.ASTTransformationVisitor$3.call(ASTTransformationVisitor.java:404)
        ... 34 more
org.codehaus.groovy.eclipse.GroovyLogManager
org.codehaus.groovy.control.messages.ExceptionMessage@4ce427
.../media.io/src/main/groovy/media/entities/Info.groovy: 0 General error
during conversion: Transform
groovy.grape.GrabAnnotationTransformation@14560cf cannot be run

(Exception is repeated several time, I assume because printing the
stacktrace only once could be mistaken for weakness.)

Another exception:

[ERROR] FATAL ERROR
[INFO]
[INFO]
org.codehaus.groovy.classgen.AsmClassGenerator.access$0(Lorg/codehaus/groovy/classgen/AsmClassGenerator;)Lorg/objectweb/asm/MethodVisitor;
[INFO]
[INFO] Trace
java.lang.NoSuchMethodError:
org.codehaus.groovy.classgen.AsmClassGenerator.access$0(Lorg/codehaus/groovy/classgen/AsmClassGenerator;)Lorg/objectweb/asm/MethodVisitor;
        at
org.codehaus.groovy.classgen.AsmClassGenerator$MyMethodAdapter.<init>(AsmClassGenerator.java:4460)
        at
org.codehaus.groovy.classgen.AsmClassGenerator.visitConstructorOrMethod(AsmClassGenerator.java:583)
        at
org.codehaus.groovy.ast.ClassCodeVisitorSupport.visitConstructor(ClassCodeVisitorSupport.java:120)
        at
org.codehaus.groovy.classgen.AsmClassGenerator.visitConstructor(AsmClassGenerator.java:688)
        at org.codehaus.groovy.ast.ClassNode.visitContents(ClassNode.java:1127)
        at
org.codehaus.groovy.ast.ClassCodeVisitorSupport.visitClass(ClassCodeVisitorSupport.java:51)
        at
org.codehaus.groovy.classgen.AsmClassGenerator.visitClass(AsmClassGenerator.java:276)
        at
org.codehaus.groovy.control.CompilationUnit$6.call(CompilationUnit.java:861)
        at
org.codehaus.groovy.control.CompilationUnit.applyToPrimaryClassNodes(CompilationUnit.java:1147)
        at
org.codehaus.groovy.control.CompilationUnit.doPhaseOperation(CompilationUnit.java:585)
        at
org.codehaus.groovy.control.CompilationUnit.processPhaseOperations(CompilationUnit.java:563)
        at
org.codehaus.groovy.control.CompilationUnit.compile(CompilationUnit.java:540)
- --
Regards,

Johann Burkard

<http://johannburkard.de>
<http://twitter.com/johannburkard>

0x54A2C761.asc (1K) Download Attachment
0x54A2C761.asc.sig (100 bytes) Download Attachment

Re: groovy + maven

Andrew Eisenberg
Right...I see what's going on.  The jar file wasn't created properly
and is missing a few classes.  I'll be able to rebuild the jar
tomorrow.  I'll let you know when it is available.

On Wed, May 18, 2011 at 9:05 PM, Johann Burkard <[hidden email]> wrote:

> [...]
>        at
> org.codehaus.groovy.ast.ClassCodeVisitorSupport.visitClass(ClassCodeVisitorSupport.java:51)
>        at
> org.codehaus.groovy.classgen.AsmClassGenerator.visitClass(AsmClassGenerator.java:276)
>        at
> org.codehaus.groovy.control.CompilationUnit$6.call(CompilationUnit.java:861)
>        at
> org.codehaus.groovy.control.CompilationUnit.applyToPrimaryClassNodes(CompilationUnit.java:1147)
>        at
> org.codehaus.groovy.control.CompilationUnit.doPhaseOperation(CompilationUnit.java:585)
>        at
> org.codehaus.groovy.control.CompilationUnit.processPhaseOperations(CompilationUnit.java:563)
>        at
> org.codehaus.groovy.control.CompilationUnit.compile(CompilationUnit.java:540)

BTW.  Our eclipse users are reporting issues with the latest groovy eclipse plugin & AST transformations (ex: @ToString).  I believe they are having random eclipse errors or compilation errors.  Not sure if this is related.  I'll try to get more information tomorrow.

~Travis