[groovy-jsr] GroovyOne, 2nd edition

Hello everybody,

Last thursday and friday took place the 2nd edition of our "GroovyOne"
meeting gathering Groovy developers and members of the Expert Group of
JSR-241. I organized that event in my own town: Paris. And if you
couldn't make it to the French capital city, you'll be glad to see
some pictures of all of us that I've uploaded to Flickr, tagged as
jsr241 [1].

First of all, I would like to thank everybody for their respective
contributions:

- Alexis Moussine-Pouchkine, a Sun architect [2], allowed us to use a
fully-equiped room for our meeting, at Sun's Customer Briefing Center.

- Bob McWhirter, Codehaus [3] and OpenXource [4] founder and original
creator of Groovy with James, contributed to make everything possible
by alloting a budget for the organization of the meeting.

- Benjamin Mestrallet, creator of the eXo Platform a corporate portal
and content management system [5], and Ludovic Dubost, creator of
XWiki a 2nd-generation Wiki engine and application platform [6], both
sponsored the event to thank the Groovy developers for their work on
the scripting language both projects embed.

- Vincent Massol [7], well-known book author and creator of various
successful OSS projects. for his presence at our thursday dinner.

And of course, all the Groovy developers present at the meeting: John
Wilson, Jochen Theodorou, Dierk K├Ânig, James Strachan, and Jeremy
Rayner, .

Unlike last year's meeting, we've tried to create a comprehensive
report of what's been decided, and most discussion topics that arose.
I've "refactored" our work document that you can read here:
http://docs.codehaus.org/display/GroovyJSR/Paris+Groovy+Meeting+report

The main idea that lead our decisions was to express rules for name
resolution and scoping that were as close as possible to Java to avoid
confusion, and yet allowing to still benefit from Groovy's specific
expressive and powerful features thanks to an improved MetaClass
Meta-Object Protocol.

Once the main decisions are implemented, we'll be able to release
Groovy 1.0 soon.

Thanks a lot everybody for your enthusiasm regarding Groovy.

[1] http://www.flickr.com/photos/tags/jsr241
[2] http://blogs.sun.com/alexismp
[3] http://www.codehaus.org
[4] http://www.openxource.com