[groovy-jsr] Fwd: The Groovy Language Specification

[groovy-jsr] Fwd: The Groovy Language Specification

Hi John,

There are a few points I'd like to clarify after I read your message.

1) Groovy is an OSS project: that means discussions should be held in
PUBLIC. It's out of question that discussions are held between a small
set of persons. I can't stand that, and I won't stand it furthermore.
So please, now, move all your emails to the relevant jsr mailing list.

In the past, I've lazily allowed that a few discussions be held in an
inner circle, it's been a mistake. I apologize for that. This era is
over, and it's time to keep things open to everybody interested.
Moreover, it's really not polite at all, not fair to all the Groovy
followers, affictionados and developers who put so much energy and
passion into the project. They diserve to be informed on everything
that's happening in the Groovy sphere.

You also seem to forget that the JCP version 2.6 was there to allow
much more openess than the classical "small community" language
designers are used to. Even Sun seems more open these days...

2) Groovy is not just a Java clone with some diffs. Groovy can also be
considered a standalone language, and merits to have its own
standalone specification. A GLS won't only be read by Java
professionals. Many other persons from different horizons will come to
Groovy and won't understand this diff. It'd be pretty boring to read.
You must not forget that Groovy is a language on its own, and is not
only targeted at Java guys or Java professionals.

3) I don't like the words you used to describe Jeremy's work -- even
when said in private. It's not very nice, and the words "rough" and
"backwards" are a bit harsh to my ears. And you sound a bit too
pretentious to my taste as well when claiming your past work's been
better. I don't want to diminish your own capabilities and your great
knowledge at all, but it's just that you need to carefully choose the
words you use. Jeremy's doing a wonderful work here, and you should at
least recognize that. That's not the first time I notice your
arrogance in your wording in different occasions, but I sincerly hope
you're more careful in the future about these things.

As you've all noticed tonight, I'm a bit angry! And I hope these few
words will send a clear message to the community and everyone involved
in the life of this wonderful and promising project.

John, I'm forwarding your email to the rest of the list for information.

Thanks in advance for your understanding.

Begin of forwarded content: