[groovy-dev] Groovy 1.1-beta-2 released!

[groovy-dev] Groovy 1.1-beta-2 released!

Dear community,

The Groovy team is pleased to announce the release of Groovy
1.1-beta-2, yet another step on our aggressive roadmap towards the
release of Groovy 1.1 in October.

For this release, I would like especially to highlight two key
contributions to the project:

    * First of all, after we've added Java 5 annotation support in
Groovy 1.1-beta-1, this time, it was generics' turn. Thanks to the
help of some JBoss developers who've integrated Groovy in JBoss Seam,
we've been able to test our support for annotations and generics, and
to make sure we would release a quality milestone to our users. Groovy
is the first alternative dynamic language for the JVM that supports
annotations and generics, so that you can integrate Groovy with any
Enterprise application frameworks like EJB 3 / JPA, JBoss Seam, Google
Guice, Spring, etc.
    * Secondly, I'm very happy to report the contribution of JetBrains
to the development of Groovy. While working on the IntelliJ IDEA
plugin for Groovy and Grails, the talentuous JetBrains team provided
us with a joint Java/Groovy compiler! No more nightmare to cleanly
separate Java and Groovy code to avoid cyclic references and tedious
build configuration, you can now use the Groovyc compiler to compile
both Groovy and Java sources in a single step.

Apart from those two great contributions that we have integrated in
the project, we've worked on many other areas since the release of the
first beta:

    * We have ironed out the usage of Java 5 annotations (for instance
annotations for method parameters were missing).
    * As I've already mentioned, we've added support for generics in
Groovy, so that the generated bytecode properly includes the
reflection information needed at runtime by various tools such as JPA.
In the area of Java 5 features, static imports were also available in
Groovy in beta-1 to make the code even more concise and readable.
    * Still pursuing the symbiotic relationship between the Groovy and
Grails projects, the Grails team has integrated in Groovy its new
ConfigSlurper mechanism to configure your applications more easily
(documentation to come on that feature soon).
    * The classical for loop is now back in Groovy after a lot of user requests.
    * Named parameters are also now possible on top-level statements,
without parentheses, so that expressive code can be written like in:
move x: 10.centimers, y: 8;centimeters or fund.compareWith bench:
NIKEI, over: 2.months

Apart from that, we also focused on cleaning up the Groovy grammar,
improving the code coverage and the performance of Groovy in highly
concurrent scenarios for paralle machines. Overall, roughly a hundred
bug fixes, enhancements or new features have been integrated in this
new release. On the tooling front, the Eclipse plugin recently
released version 1.0.1, while the progress on the IntelliJ IDEA plugin
has been awesome, you should also check it out.

You can download Groovy 1.1-beta-2 from the download area. You can
find the full release notes in our JIRA bug tracker.

Thanks to all users, contributors and committers for allowing us to
make this great release.