[grails-user] Groovy 1.1-beta-3 released, RC-1 and 1.1-final around the corner

[grails-user] Groovy 1.1-beta-3 released, RC-1 and 1.1-final around the corner

Dear Groovy friends,

I've blogged about the new here:
http://glaforge.free.fr/weblog/index.php?itemid=222&catid=2

and there:
http://docs.codehaus.org/display/GROOVY/2007/09/20/Groovy+1.1-beta-3+released%2C+RC-1+and+1.1-final+around+the+corner

But here it is:

Groovy 1.1-beta-3 is there, paving the way for an RC-1 in the
following weeks, and if all goes well, for 1.1-final in October, right
in time for the Grails eXchange conference that takes place in London.
This conference will also be the opportunity for the Groovy developer
team to meet for the fourth Groovy Developer Conference! With Groovy
1.1 released by then, it'll be time to think about what's going to
happen for the next major version of Groovy.

Before going through the new release, let me recap some of the nice
things that have been happening lately around Groovy:

    * JetBrains released a second milestone to the wonderful Groovy &
Grails IntelliJ IDEA plugin, so be sure to check it out, as you'll
feel at ease developing Groovy with all the bells and whistles of your
beloved IDE. You've never programmed Groovy and Grails with so much
pleasure.
    * IBM's ProjectZero team is also helping us improving the Eclipse plugin.
    * Sun gave us access to a nice server beast so we can conduct some
high-concurrency load testing on Groovy.

So what's in this release you may wonder? Well, there are a few nice
novelties, but they should be the last ones before 1.1.

First of all, Alex Tkachman, along with Jochen, worked very hard on
improving the performance of Groovy. On some micro-benchmark seen on
the blogosphere, we even got a 100% improvement. Of course, depending
on your usage of Groovy, your mileage may vary, but let me
congratulate Alex for this great achievement.

Now regarding new features:

    * The last mile of Java 5 related feature is included: you can use
and define enums in Groovy.
    * The closure and map coercion to interfaces mechanism has been
extended to work on concrete classes too.
    * The ternary operator can be shortcut to simplify a != null ? a :
"default value" into a ?: "default value". We call it the Elvis
operator -- a beer for those who guess why we've chosen that name.
    * In the dynamic space, Graeme Rocher has been continuing
enhancing and improving the ExpandoMetaClass and has added some new
methods like methodMissing(), respondsTo() or hasProperty(). Don't
forget to check the documentation and the child pages.
    * It is now possible to customize the variable resolving strategy
in closures (not yet documented), so that you can decide whether you
want to the resolution to go to the delegate first or only, to the
closure itself, or to the owner.
    * Jason Dillon has been working on improving the good old Groovy
Shell (groovysh). It is still a work-in-progress, so by default, it is
not activated, but you may try it by setting a NEWSHELL environment
variable to a dummy value. Some completion is there thanks to JLine,
ANSI color makes things more friendly on most platforms (Windows being
the exception as always), and the driving idea behind those evolutions
was getting rid of the infamous "go" command.
    * Romain Guy, on his side, along with the help of Danno Ferrin and
Andres Almiray. have polished the Groovy Swing Console look'n feel.
    * One last nugget, some improvements have been worked on to allow
a better integration between the groovyc and javac Ant task letting
you use the javac Ant task as a sub-element of the groovyc Ant task --
however, for big projects with a lot of classes, it may be pretty
hungry for memory.

With all that, it's time to give the usual links. Apart from those new
features or improvements, we've closed a fair amount of bugs too, if
you want to have a closer look at what we've worked on, you can have a
look at the JIRA issues closed for beta-3.

You can download Groovy at the usual place: Joachim Bauman is updating
the Windows native installer (which also contains Antti Karanta's
native launcher for Windows) and he should make it available in the
following days.

One last closing word: the documentation of the website is available
too, and over those past months, the documentation climbed to about
900 pages worth of PDF export! Even bigger than the fine GinA lady!

Keep Groovying, thanks to all the developers and contributors for
their help, and stay tuned for RC-1 and 1.1 pretty soon!

RE: [groovy-user] Groovy 1.1-beta-3 released, RC-1 and 1.1-final around the corner

Jürgen Hermann
>     * The ternary operator can be shortcut to simplify a != null ? a :
> "default value" into a ?: "default value". We call it the Elvis
> operator -- a beer for those who guess why we've chosen that name.

Was it supposed to be hard to recognize the quiff? :)

Ciao, Jürgen

--
1&1 Internet AG · Brauerstrasse 48 · D-76135 Karlsruhe

Amtsgericht Montabaur HRB 6484

Vorstand: Henning Ahlert, Ralph Dommermuth, Matthias Ehrlich, Andreas Gauger,
          Matthias Greve, Robert Hoffmann, Norbert Lang, Achim Weiss