Quantcast

getting large amounts of data into a groovy script in 1.5.7

getting large amounts of data into a groovy script in 1.5.7

Michael Petritsch
Hi,

I need a large amount of data in my groovy script. I got the data I need in groovy object notation, but cannot put it into the script because it is too large (160kb) and I am getting an method too long error if I do.

So I have split it up and put it into several files which I am reading and evaling with:

def f = new File('massiveAmountOfData');
def data = Eval.me(f.getText());

This works nicely in unit tests, however the groovy script is executed by smooks and when it is running in osgi an error occurs:
Caused by: groovy.lang.MissingPropertyException: No such property: Eval for class: org.milyn.smooks.scripting.groovy.SmooksVisitor_187592160_1

So do I need another solution to get my data into the script or did I do something wrong? Do you have an idea how I could do this correctly in groovy 1.5.7 (=the version smooks is using)?

best regards,
Michael

Re: getting large amounts of data into a groovy script in 1.5.7

Guillaume Laforge-4
Hi Michael,

Why are you trying to evaluate the data as a script?
You're quickly running into the limitations of the VM with regards method code size, etc.
Why not just create a list or map, and populate it with the data as you read through the data?

I don't know what your data actually looks like, but let's say it's a huge list of numbers.
You could create a list with def myData = [].
Then read each line of your data file, and add each number with something like dataFile.eachLine { String line -> myData << line.toInteger() }

It'd be more efficient IMHO.

Guillaume

On Sat, Apr 28, 2012 at 16:10, Michael Petritsch <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

http://www.springsource.com/g2one

Re: getting large amounts of data into a groovy script in 1.5.7

Jim White-2
I'm sure if the data in question was suitable for that kind of flat representation the poster would be very unlikely to be attempting to use a Groovy source format.

There are of course very many ways to represent more complex structures.  XML is one of them and Groovy comes with built-in support for that.  That is however not very groovy, even when using Groovy to do the processing.

If the internal representation you're after is lists, maps, strings, and numbers then I'd suggest JSON.  JSON does what you're trying to do (and perhaps is the inspiration for it) in JavaScript rather than Groovy.  That means it can't simply use the "eval" trick, but a JSON parser is a pretty simple thing.  You could use most any Java JSON library such as the one from org.json.  And if you're wanting your data in a programming language format for editor support, I'm pretty certain every IDE that supports Groovy also suports JavaScript.

If you're not able to put a library in the classpath, keep in mind that most Java is Groovy and you should be able to fairly easily copy one of those Java classes into your app with few, if any, changes.  A nice JSON example with Groovy I was just looking at this last week is the Ratpack Autocompletion example by James Williams:

The JSON parser he uses is yajjl, which is just three fairly short Java classes:

On Thu, May 3, 2012 at 5:56 AM, Guillaume Laforge <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

tim yates-2

Groovy has had built-in json support since 1.8.0

http://groovy.codehaus.org/gapi/groovy/json/JsonSlurper.html

On 3 May 2012 18:42, "Jim White" <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

...*blush*...

Oops...Not sure how I missed that...

As you were people... ;-)

On 3 May 2012 19:09, "Jim White" <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

I googled smooks and found that it is a data binding system that supports UN/EDIFACT and includes Groovy for scripting support:

I see that it talks about JSON import but did see anything about export.  It does have Java binding, which I have to guess is what Michael is using.

Don't know enough about the problem to have a good idea of what the best approach is, but I'll point out that since Groovy is happy with any Java object that perhaps serializing Java objects and reading those files (once you've put the binding classes from smooks on the classpath) might be suitable.

Jim

On Thu, May 3, 2012 at 11:11 AM, Tim Yates <[hidden email]> wrote:

[...]

Russel Winder-3
On Thu, 2012-05-03 at 11:09 -0700, Jim White wrote:
> Yes, but the OP is using Groovy 1.5.7.

Shouldn't OP just upgrade to Groovy 1.8.6?

--
Russel.

Re: getting large amounts of data into a groovy script in 1.5.7

Jim White-2
Only if he is after yak shavings.

As the OP commented the Groovy he's using is embedded in another subsystem (Smooks).  That Smooks hasn't upgraded it's Groovy probably means it is little-used, which is sad.  Or maybe it just works and folks aren't messing with it, which would be great.

Smooks looks to be quite interesting as it handles some complex standard formats and is capable of dealing with large, streamed datasets for ETL and such.  Clearly a tool folks dealing with Big Data in the real world may find useful.  Their examples include one that performs "Complex Event Processing" (CEP) on stock ticker data and Drools Fusion:

Jim

On Thu, May 3, 2012 at 11:54 AM, Russel Winder <[hidden email]> wrote:
On Thu, 2012-05-03 at 11:09 -0700, Jim White wrote:
> Yes, but the OP is using Groovy 1.5.7.

Shouldn't OP just upgrade to Groovy 1.8.6?

--
Russel.
Dr Russel Winder      t: <a href="tel:%2B44%2020%207585%202200" value="+442075852200">+44 20 7585 2200   voip: [hidden email]
41 Buckmaster Road    m: <a href="tel:%2B44%207770%20465%20077" value="+447770465077">+44 7770 465 077   xmpp: [hidden email]

Re: getting large amounts of data into a groovy script in 1.5.7

Michael Petritsch
exactly :)

What I am basically doing with smooks is: read data from a csv-file, transform it to xml, use groovy to manipulate the xml (replace values, duplicate elements etc, that's what I need all my data for) and finally transform the xml-elements into java objects.

I have found a working solution for now by serializing my data directly in the GroovyShell into a single file. In the groovy script that's executed by smooks and where I actually need the data I'm deserializing back in. Just like here: http://satish.name/?p=66

I assume that deserializing is probably also faster than json-slurping?

I'll also put Java objects into the groovy-script as you have mentioned (works by putting beans into smooks' ExecutionContext), so I can load the serialized object directly from the osgi-bundle and not the file sys.

Thanks, problem solved.

best regards,
Michael

On Thu, May 3, 2012 at 10:08 PM, Jim White <[hidden email]> wrote:
Only if he is after yak shavings.

As the OP commented the Groovy he's using is embedded in another subsystem (Smooks).  That Smooks hasn't upgraded it's Groovy probably means it is little-used, which is sad.  Or maybe it just works and folks aren't messing with it, which would be great.

Smooks looks to be quite interesting as it handles some complex standard formats and is capable of dealing with large, streamed datasets for ETL and such.  Clearly a tool folks dealing with Big Data in the real world may find useful.  Their examples include one that performs "Complex Event Processing" (CEP) on stock ticker data and Drools Fusion:

Jim

On Thu, May 3, 2012 at 11:54 AM, Russel Winder <[hidden email]> wrote:
On Thu, 2012-05-03 at 11:09 -0700, Jim White wrote:
> Yes, but the OP is using Groovy 1.5.7.

Shouldn't OP just upgrade to Groovy 1.8.6?

--
Russel.
Dr Russel Winder      t: <a href="tel:%2B44%2020%207585%202200" value="+442075852200" target="_blank">+44 20 7585 2200   voip: [hidden email]
41 Buckmaster Road    m: <a href="tel:%2B44%207770%20465%20077" value="+447770465077" target="_blank">+44 7770 465 077   xmpp: [hidden email]