Windows 64 bit JVM (GROOVY-3655)

Merlin Beedell

I see that this issue has open since Aug 09.

I also see in the windows install that there are 64bit groovy .exe files in

  C:\opt\Groovy\Groovy-1.7.6\Supplementary\native\64bit

But if I copy these to the groovy-1.7.6/bin/ directory it still does not seem to work.

However: the .bat  startup scripts always work fine [as your support notes state].

As the windows installer for 1.7.7 is not available, perhaps (hopefully) this being worked on now?

Otherwise, I was just wondering if any timeframe or ideas to overcome the 64-bit JVM on Windows issue?

Could the Installation instructions link in the middle of the Download page be moved to near the top of the page?  Its rather lost at the mo!

Also for Linux install, it is worth noting in your install instructions how to manually set the java_home/groovy_home/path variables?  There must be several ways, but this works for me..

Edit  /etc/profile.local  and add

export JAVA_HOME=<path to your Java base install>

export GROOVY_HOME=<path to a Groovy version, or a generic soft-link>

export PATH=$PATH:$GROOVY_HOME/bin/

Merlin Beedell

Re: Windows 64 bit JVM (GROOVY-3655)

Joachim Baumann
Hi Merlin,

if you have a 64-bit installation of Windows and a 64-bit installation of Java, then the installer should copy the 64-bit executables into the bin directory. In all other cases only the 32-bit executables of the native launcher work.

Could you please check your Java version with "java -version"? If you have the 64-bit version installed the answer should contain something like "64-bit server vm".

Then go to the directory %GROOVY_HOME%\Supplementary\JavaArch. This contains the short java program that I use in the installer to detect whether a 64-bit Java installation is installed. Please execute "java -jar JavaArch.jar". This should answer with "Found a 64 bit java installation."

If all this works, then the installer uses the 64-bit executables. Otherwise the 32-bit versions are used.

I will create a new version of the installer tomorrow (I was on vacation), so maybe, if we find something until then I could fix it in the installer.

All the best, Joachim

2011/2/11 Merlin Beedell <[hidden email]>

[...]

Platform in question is Windows 2008R2, 64bit.

I tend to install the JDK, and not the separate jre as well.  Can’t see the point as the JDK already has the jre inside it.

I then manually add the JAVA_HOME environment var, and add it to the PATH.  Then I try the Groovy install.

On 4 servers like this the same pattern for installing Groovy occurs.  The installer always says:

  “Unable to detect JVM type, assume 32bit”

But I can still use groovy via the .bat, just not as easy!

If I use the native/64bit executables, I get the following response:

The application has failed to start because its side-by-side configuration is incorrect. Please see the application event log or use the command-line sxstrace.exe tool for more detail.

C:\ >java -version

java version "1.6.0_23"

Java HotSpot(TM) 64-Bit Server VM (build 19.0-b09, mixed mode)

C:\ >echo %JAVA_HOME%

C:\Program Files\Java\jdk1.6.0_23

Directory of C:\opt\Groovy\Groovy-1.7.6\Supplementary\JavaArch

10/03/2009  10:07 AM               530 GetArchDataModel.java

10/03/2009  10:07 AM             1,166 GetArchModel.jar

C:\opt\Groovy\Groovy-1.7.6\Supplementary\JavaArch>java -jar GetArchModel.jar

Found a 64 bit java installation.

And using the command as shown in the Install Log, there is no visible return text or code..

C:\opt\Groovy\scripts>"javaw.exe" -jar "C:\opt\Groovy\Groovy-1.7.6\Supplementary\JavaArch\GetArchModel.jar"

C:\opt\Groovy\scripts>

The windows event log shows:

Log Name:      Application

Source:        SideBySide

Date:          2/14/2011 8:51:40 AM

Event ID:      33

Task Category: None

Level:         Error

User:          N/A

Computer:      stancryo

Activation context generation failed for "C:\opt\Groovy\Groovy-1.7.6\bin\groovy.exe". Dependent Assembly Microsoft.VC90.CRT,processorArchitecture="amd64",publicKeyToken="1fc8b3b9a1e18e3b",type="win32",version="9.0.21022.8" could not be found. Please use sxstrace.exe for detailed diagnosis.

Event Xml:

Merlin Beedell

Re: Windows 64 bit JVM (GROOVY-3655)

Joachim Baumann
Hi Merlin,

the error message looks very much like the installer is not able to find the JDK. Next weekend I will try and write a short program that could show us the results of the internal checks of the installer.

For the problem with the native launcher we need the help of the author, Antti Karanta. @Antti: Can you help?

Cheers, Joachim

2011/2/14 Merlin Beedell <[hidden email]>

[...]

Antti Karanta

From: Joachim Baumann [mailto:[hidden email]]

For the problem with the native launcher we need the help of the author, Antti Karanta. @Antti: Can you help?

Yes. I noticed this thread but did not have time to reply immediately.

By the looks of it, msvcr90.dll runtime library can’t be found on the target machine. I did not remember to consider this when building the 64-bit launcher. The 32-bit launcher can be built (using mingw) so that it only needs dlls that are guaranteed to be present on any windows system. I have not yet found a way to do the same with the 64-bit executable. I suppose using the 64-bit version of mingw may do the trick but the last time I had a look at it, it looked like a lot of work to set up so I left it till later (and as things usually go, then forgot about it).

Many applications install the dll in question as a shared assembly (shared native dlls), that’s how this has gone unnoticed till now even though I suspect there are plenty of users using the 64 bit native launcher.

Anyhow, having to deploy the c runtime library with an application compiled with Visual Studio is a standard procedure. I and Joachim can take it from here as a private mail conversation, no need to thrash the whole groovy user list. Also, if Merlin is willing to give us a hand by testing the solution that would be great as otherwise there’s no way for me and Joachim to know that we actually fixed the problem.

             ::Antti::