What's the status of the Gpars library ?

What's the status of the Gpars library ?

Christian Sperandio
Hi,

I want to learn more about concurrency programming in Groovy and I’ve found the Gpars library.
But in the maven repository, the last version dates on 2014.
Is this project live anymore ? Or this library is so stable and it doesn’t need more changes.

Chris

Re: What's the status of the Gpars library ?

Sergio Del Amo
Yes, GPars is alive.

A couple of links about concurrency

Sergio

On 13 Oct 2017, at 21:07, Christian Sperandio <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hi,

I want to learn more about concurrency programming in Groovy and I’ve found the Gpars library.
But in the maven repository, the last version dates on 2014.
Is this project live anymore ? Or this library is so stable and it doesn’t need more changes.

Chris

Re: What's the status of the Gpars library ?

Russel Winder-3
On Fri, 2017-10-13 at 21:07 +0200, Christian Sperandio wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I want to learn more about concurrency programming in Groovy and I’ve found
> the Gpars library.
> But in the maven repository, the last version dates on 2014.
> Is this project live anymore ? Or this library is so stable and it doesn’t
> need more changes.

GPars project is far from dead. However it is suffering from a lack of
programmers and documentors actively working on it.

The GPars 1.X series is basically done and in "not really being maintained"
mode, though a last release is required. This version of GPars pre-dates JDK8,
uses tools and techniques of implementation that are now out of date, and so
has no future as an implementation of concurrency.

The GPars 2.X series will rely on JDK8 or later. However, I have not been able
to get it ready for release (long, probably boring, story) and no-one else
seems interested enough in GPars getting a new release to join in and help. I
am hoping to be able to get back to this is 2018, making a JDK8 and JDK9
compatible version, i.e. plan on GPars being a module.

A core question is how to get a release onto Maven Central, possibly via
Bintray. The observant will notice there hasn't been a GPars release since the
demise of Cohehaus – the single biggest reason being no-one associated with
GPars has had the time/inclination to find out how to get it done.

Schalk Cronjé and myself have had a couple of goes at this, but run out of
time, and Bintray has moved on since then. So if someone can step up to help
with the release process, a final 1.X release can be made and the first 2.0
one as well.

Help with the documentation as well as the implementation and release would
also be welcome, the 1.X → 2.X change will need quite a lot of work to get the
documentation up to scratch. There is nothing worse than a great library with
crap documentation.

In the end GPars is a volunteer project with no paid support, the people who
like and/or use it are most welcome to give back by helping out.

--
Russel.
Dr Russel Winder      t: +44 20 7585 2200

Re: What's the status of the Gpars library ?

David Dawson
Hi,

I recently went through the process of artifact deploy/ promotion to maven central using a self hosted OSS artifactory and bintray.  Its a process with a few manual steps, which could be automated (except for the last promotion to central I think) but it seems low impact enough not to bother.

I'd be happy to replicate that for gpars if that would be helpful?

David

On 14 October 2017 at 08:54, Russel Winder <[hidden email]> wrote:
On Fri, 2017-10-13 at 21:07 +0200, Christian Sperandio wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I want to learn more about concurrency programming in Groovy and I’ve found
> the Gpars library.
> But in the maven repository, the last version dates on 2014.
> Is this project live anymore ? Or this library is so stable and it doesn’t
> need more changes.

GPars project is far from dead. However it is suffering from a lack of
programmers and documentors actively working on it.

The GPars 1.X series is basically done and in "not really being maintained"
mode, though a last release is required. This version of GPars pre-dates JDK8,
uses tools and techniques of implementation that are now out of date, and so
has no future as an implementation of concurrency.

The GPars 2.X series will rely on JDK8 or later. However, I have not been able
to get it ready for release (long, probably boring, story) and no-one else
seems interested enough in GPars getting a new release to join in and help. I
am hoping to be able to get back to this is 2018, making a JDK8 and JDK9
compatible version, i.e. plan on GPars being a module.

A core question is how to get a release onto Maven Central, possibly via
Bintray. The observant will notice there hasn't been a GPars release since the
demise of Cohehaus – the single biggest reason being no-one associated with
GPars has had the time/inclination to find out how to get it done.

Schalk Cronjé and myself have had a couple of goes at this, but run out of
time, and Bintray has moved on since then. So if someone can step up to help
with the release process, a final 1.X release can be made and the first 2.0
one as well.

Help with the documentation as well as the implementation and release would
also be welcome, the 1.X → 2.X change will need quite a lot of work to get the
documentation up to scratch. There is nothing worse than a great library with
crap documentation.

In the end GPars is a volunteer project with no paid support, the people who
like and/or use it are most welcome to give back by helping out.

--
Russel.
Dr Russel Winder      t: <a href="tel:%2B44%2020%207585%202200" value="+442075852200">+44 20 7585 2200
41 Buckmaster Road    m: <a href="tel:%2B44%207770%20465%20077" value="+447770465077">+44 7770 465 077
London SW11 1EN, UK   w: www.russel.org.uk

Re: What's the status of the Gpars library ?

szpak
On 2017-10-14 13:31, David Dawson wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I recently went through the process of artifact deploy/ promotion to maven
> central using a self hosted OSS artifactory and bintray.  Its a process
> with a few manual steps, which could be automated (except for the last
> promotion to central I think) but it seems low impact enough not to bother.
>
> I'd be happy to replicate that for gpars if that would be helpful?

It sounds good, however, there is also a way to completely automatically
release to Maven Central directly from Travis with Git commit messages
such as "[#DO_RELEASE]" or "[#DO_RELEASE][#2.0.0]". I've been using it
to release my projects in the Continuous Delivery process for a year or
so (and in general it works :) ).

Sample configuration:
https://github.com/szpak/mockito-java8/blob/master/gradle/cdeliveryboy-release.gradle
(in fact just a few lines are required for the release process, others
are to satisfy Maven Central requirements, e.g. generated pom.xml elements).

I could also provide the release support as a backup plan.

Nevertheless, those are not the only possible way in the Gradle universe.

Marcin

http://blog.solidsoft.info/ - Working code is not enough

Re: What's the status of the Gpars library ?

David Dawson
Sounds like you have a volunteer Russel ;-)

http://blog.solidsoft.info/ - Working code is not enough

Re: What's the status of the Gpars library ?

ericksn
I’m curious, how is gpars better than Java  concurrency. I do most of my  development with Greclipse, which doesn’t come with G pars so ive never really tried it. Is there some link out there that I can check out that compares both?

Sent from my iPhone

Hi,

https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__github.com_szpak_mockito-2Djava8_blob_master_gradle_cdeliveryboy-2Drelease.gradle&d=DwIGaQ&c=G6gE9wZC434W5IaU4ofEKQ&r=dNrS-0eOrjqS9LI6Io5GnPqWzmfgaVqofJ4wYWYOmSA&m=LezbcREf7fOyp4ZO4rU2qA6ZpRsUr_RZTbBLkgvkxr0&s=FSClINoiD6jTtDtzDZ3vhFaBtrUJwomY2dXM7oVJZyk&e=
[...]

demise of Cohehaus �C the single biggest reason being no-one associated with

https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=http-3A__blog.solidsoft.info_&d=DwIGaQ&c=G6gE9wZC434W5IaU4ofEKQ&r=dNrS-0eOrjqS9LI6Io5GnPqWzmfgaVqofJ4wYWYOmSA&m=LezbcREf7fOyp4ZO4rU2qA6ZpRsUr_RZTbBLkgvkxr0&s=1GpgtL1gwn4sKKSOw7Us6633dJ5hYCL9XxmoBZuV-Vw&e= - Working code is not enough

On Sun, 2017-10-15 at 16:06 +0000, Nelson, Erick wrote:
> I’m curious, how is gpars better than Java  concurrency. I do most of
> my  development with Greclipse, which doesn’t come with G pars so ive never
> really tried it. Is there some link out there that I can check out that
> compares both?

The Java Streams stuff is great for stream-based data parallelism. It is a
huge improvement over what was in JSR166extra. Part of the work is to decide
whether to preserve any of the old GPars API implemented with Streams or just
to delete it and have Groovy users use Streams. In fact we can have both but
only if someone does it. I tool a view to remove, but some have put in partial
replacements, it's a WIP that needs completing or removing.

However GPars has much more than Java offers: actors, active objects, CSP,
dataflow, to name some major bits. This stuff needs updating for JDK8 – to
remove lots of redundant stuff that was in there because JDK6 and JDK7. Also
the tests need a big review to ensure the GPars needed and used by people is
actually tested.

As far as I am aware there are other actor systems, and some dataflow systems,
but nothings as complete as GPars for offering these forms of parallelism.

On Sun, 2017-10-15 at 13:01 +0100, David Dawson wrote:
> Sounds like you have a volunteer Russel ;-)

It may well be time to pick up GPars and make it releasable.

I keep trying to use Gant as a way of learning Bintray and Maven deployment
but I get nowhere so maybe I should give up and just do GPars.

--
Russel.
Dr Russel Winder      t: +44 20 7585 2200
41 Buckmaster Road    m: +44 7770 465 077
London SW11 1EN, UK   w: www.russel.org.uk

Re: What's the status of the Gpars library ?

jnorthr
CONTENTS DELETED
The author has deleted this message.
12