What projects use Groovy as its main development language ?

What projects use Groovy as its main development language ?

MG
A quick survey: Who on this mailing list works on or knows of a project
where Groovy is the main language of development, i.e. it is not used as
"just" a script or DSL language in addition to e.g. Java ?
If possible name the company/country/project and give some impression of
the size of the project (lines of code, # of people working on it, etc),
timeframe of development, and whether it is os or commercial (or both) G-)

Thanks in advance,
cheers,
mg

Re: What projects use Groovy as its main development language ?

MG
Hi Paul,

I was looking for something more concrete, so maybe someone on this projects could post here :-)

What I meant by "just" a script language or DSL (both valid Groovy uses, of course) was, if 99% of the code is Java, and Groovy is used for e.g. a small DSL for customers to use, or for some internal/rollout/... scripting tasks.
I assume most Grails projects will be written mostly in Groovy, so they naturally would qualify R6-)

Cheers,
mg

On 27/06/2020 01:20, Paul King wrote:
[...]

Edmond Kemokai-2
Hi MG,

Not sure of the context for the question but I am the developer of Solvent (codesolvent.com), it is a platform for doing web development via JSR-223 with Groovy being the primary language. The solvent developer environment is itself a web application (Java) with a back-end built entirely in Groovy via the JSR-223 Groovy scripting engine.

It is a commercial product, granted that part is still a work in progress.

I chose Groovy primarily because I am a Java developer so I didn't have to learn anything new, I do use the occasional Groovy language feature but otherwise have mostly stuck to Java syntax.

The product ships with the source code ready to edit, thus you can modify the IDE itself directly.  Feel free to sign-up and try it, there is free trial once you log in.

-Edmond

On Fri, Jun 26, 2020 at 7:40 PM MG <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Suderman Keith
We use Groovy for a number of our projects (https://github.com/lapps) all released under the Apache 2.0 license. I've started to lean towards Groovy for Spring Boot projects and we recently put up a question answering system (https://services.lappsgrid.org/eager/ask) with the entire backend done in Groovy. We also use Groovy as the template engine for Spring Boot in that project.

Cheers,
Keith

> On Jun 26, 2020, at 6:24 PM, MG <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> A quick survey: Who on this mailing list works on or knows of a project where Groovy is the main language of development, i.e. it is not used as "just" a script or DSL language in addition to e.g. Java ?
> If possible name the company/country/project and give some impression of the size of the project (lines of code, # of people working on it, etc), timeframe of development, and whether it is os or commercial (or both) G-)
>
> Thanks in advance,
> cheers,
> mg

Re: What projects use Groovy as its main development language ?

Hi Edmond,

thanks for that - can you give some metrics regarding the code size ?-)

@Context of question: Didn't want my initial post to be too long, just thought I'd ask people to share if they wanted to - but in a nutshell: Groovy is putting a lot of emphasis/effort on Java compatibility, up to code copy & paste compatibility. This sometimes leads to solutions which cannot be as clear/consistent/least-surprise as one would hope for*, so I was wondering how many people actually use Groovy as a Java replacement / equal partner (I assume quite a few, but in my organization we are the only team that uses Groovy that way, i.e. not as a script language only).

Cheers,
mg

*The current example on the dev mailing list is the behavior of this.x / super.x under different conditions.

On 27/06/2020 02:04, Edmond Kemokai wrote:
[...]

OCsite
Mg,

my main client here in Czech Republic allowed me to turn all our WebObjects projects from Java to Groovy years ago (and still there are non-trivial parts of the legacy codebase in the original Java :))

Those project include a couple of web applications like e.g., an auctioning system or a task-specific... let's say database, with a very rich support for table management and report generation (those are commercial and my client makes the money on them), plus some internal tools used by us only (for which I am paid as a programmer, but from my client POV they are, of course, non-commercial). The sizes of the projects vary from 10 to 50 000 Groovy source lines, not counting groovy expression embedded in the HTML templates or untouched .java files (of which there's just a couple; most original Java code is in not-yet-refactored parts of .groovy sources). I am the main programmer and maintainer of the stuff, with an occasional help of some subcontractor. Oldest of them are maintained for fifteen-odd years (which is the time I started writing WO in Java; before that it used to be the infinitely better Objective C, but alas, Apple closed that possibility :/ )

From my POV, Groovy is just great, allowing me to at least partially return to the clean and concise ObjC-like code, skipping the terrible boilerplate and problems induced by Java: originally, some of the projects exceeded 100 000 Java lines, caused by über-ugly things like

NSArray validOfferItems() { NSMutableArray ma=null; if (auction!=null) { NSArray all=auction.orderedPriceOffers(); if (all!=null) { ma=new NSMutableArray(); for (Enumeration en=all.objectEnumerator();en.hasMoreElements();) { DBPriceOffer po=(DBPriceOffer)en.nextElement(); if (po.validOffer()) ma.addObject(po); } } } return ma; }

which of course was re-written to

NSArray validOfferItems() { auction.orderedPriceOffers.findAll { it.validOffer } }

long ago (I've got a couple of my own ASTTs and extensions to get rid of NPE and the need to write those ugly ?'s to all the expressions.)

Contrariwise, I rarely use Groovy for scripting. Occasionally, yes, when the task is too complex; but for a vast majority of my scripts, zsh suffices and it's more convenient for it's portable anywhere. (Perl might be even better, but somehow I never found time to learn the thing :))

All the best,
OC

LS

Re: What projects use Groovy as its main development language ?

LS
Since 2008 I maintain Groovy CMS/CMF for my company, written from
scratch completely in groovy. Basically it is MVC over Servlet. It uses
many java components such as Hibernate as model layer (all model classes
are Groovy classes and Hibernate configuration is groovy config files,
converted runtime to properties), but whole controller layer is
statically compiled groovy code, that will be packed as *.class files
into WAR. So, all the backend code is Groovy. There is only one type of
resources in backend - XSLT files, used as view layer via Saxon. And yes
- this is java web application without Spring. Since then over 100
implementations were made - shops, sites, news resources. Groovy
performs well and easy to develop and support.

This is definitely not DSL nor scripting

This is definitely not DSL nor scripting

Re: What projects use Groovy as its main development language ?

Andrei Karneyenka
Claz.org uses groovy as main development language.
"git ls-files | grep groovy | xargs wc -l" shows about 200k SLOC in tracked groovy files (including tests) across subprojects, which should be about 90% of the codebase.
The remaining ~10%  is Java (performance-critical parts), Kotlin (Android) and ObjectiveC/Swift (iPhone)

--
Andrei Karneyenka,
+1 (609) 433-7126