What is the status of Gpars?

David M. Karr
I was reading REGINA, and got to the GPars chapter.  What is the status of GPars?  The web site is sort of in "lights-out" mode.  Is it even relevant now that we have Java8?

Re: What is the status of GPars?

Russel Winder-3
Guillaume pointed out your email to the list about GPars which I seem
to have missed and therefore failed to reply to. Sorry about that. I
reply now though, better late than never :-)

GPars is alive but due to lack of resources is not as kicking as it
should be. The GPars 1.x series is focused on Groovy and JDK7 but runs
on JDK8 as it should. JDK8 and the Streams does make some of GPars a
little redundant, however GPars provides far more than Steams offers:
actors, dataflow, communicating sequential processes, etc. This is
significantly more that both Streams and Akka provide, so GPars gives
Groovy, Java and Scala programmers more than they can get elsewhere.

I had started an effort to create GPars 2.x being a JDK8+ specific
version of GPars using all the Streams rather than the
jsr166e/extra166e stuff that is used for GPars 1.x. A number of people
volunteered their services to help with the work but no pull requests
have ensued. I have had to focus most of my efforts in non-Groovy
directions since there appears to be no Groovy consultancy and training
activity, it is all Python, Go, Rust, D, C++. Thus I have had no time
for GPars 2.x myself of late. Hopefully this will change in the near
future.

As for the Web site, I did a hack Jekyll job to get the material to
gpars.github.io from gpars.codehaus.org but all my calls for people to
help with design and CSS, whilst resulting in a few offers of help have
not resulted in anyone actually doing anything. Václav has hesitated
changing the DNS entries for gpars.org until things have settled.

In summary, your GPars needs you. (To mis-quote a 1914 poster.)

--
Russel.

Re: What is the status of GPars?

jn0rthr
Hi Russell -
just a question on this: you say the current gpars website is on
gpars.github.io ? Some of those github links point back to gpars.org
like  http://gpars.org/1.2.1/guide/guide/single.html.

Is it possible to host your website on gpars.org or is that for
something else ? Do you have a preference as to where it is hosted ?

thx

On Tue, 2015-09-01 at 22:25 +0200, James Northrop wrote:
> Hi Russell -
> just a question on this: you say the current gpars website is on
> gpars.github.io ? Some of those github links point back to gpars.org
>
> like  http://gpars.org/1.2.1/guide/guide/single.html.
>
> Is it possible to host your website on gpars.org or is that for
> something else ? Do you have a preference as to where it is hosted ?

Until everything is settled down, www.gpars.org is a separate site but
redirects to gpars.github.io. Clearly there are some links that have
not been taken into account. Maybe we should just do the DNS update
and appropriate aliasing at github.io.

--
Russel.

Re: What is the status of GPars?

jn0rthr
Russel:
Thank you for that news. I am not qualified to do DNS stuff. I was
only wondering if you have some plan to bring all the GPars family
under a single umbrella website ?

Have also done a pull request to bump GPars to use gradle 2.6 with
more than 1140+ tests - they all worked as expected. Have also (on my
local system) bumped GPars to gradle 2.7-rc-1 and again it all runs as
i would expect. So once gradle 2.7 is official, i can pump that up as
well.

Have a GR8 weekend
k/r
jim

On Sat, 2015-09-05 at 12:22 +0200, James Northrop wrote:
> Russel:
> Thank you for that news. I am not qualified to do DNS stuff. I was
> only wondering if you have some plan to bring all the GPars family
> under a single umbrella website ?

Václav owns the gpars.org domain and is in charge of the DNS zone
records. Currently he has it pointing to his own server which has the
most recent 1.2.1 documentation, which didn't used to be on the
Codehaus site. With everything now on gpars.github.io, we could now set
up the site to be www.gpars.org in it's entirety and then Václav could
alter the DNS record. I think we have to fiddle witht he
gpars.github.io metadata a bit first though.

> Have also done a pull request to bump GPars to use gradle 2.6 with

> more than 1140+ tests - they all worked as expected. Have also (on my
> local system) bumped GPars to gradle 2.7-rc-1 and again it all runs
> as
> i would expect. So once gradle 2.7 is official, i can pump that up as
>
> well.

I merged the pull request. I usually do the Gradle upgrade fairly
quickly after release, but you beat me to it – which is great :-)

Good news regarding Gradle 2.7.

Now I have to find time to restart GPars 2.0 development…

--
Russel.

What is the status of GPars? Gradle-2.7-rc-2

jn0rthr
Ok Russell, you can ignore this pull if u want to as i was just
getting hang of it, but GPars ran 1140+ tests without a problem on rc-2.
so rebuilt wrapper and build.gradle now = 2.7-rc-2 on my fork;
fingers-crossed ;-}
thanx
jim

On 8 Sep 2015, at 08:55, Russel Winder wrote:

> On Sat, 2015-09-05 at 12:22 +0200, James Northrop wrote:
>> Russel:
>> Thank you for that news. I am not qualified to do DNS stuff. I was
>> only wondering if you have some plan to bring all the GPars family
>> under a single umbrella website ?
>
> Václav owns the gpars.org domain and is in charge of the DNS zone
> records. Currently he has it pointing to his own server which has the
> most recent 1.2.1 documentation, which didn't used to be on the
> Codehaus site. With everything now on gpars.github.io, we could now
> set
> up the site to be www.gpars.org in it's entirety and then Václav could
> alter the DNS record. I think we have to fiddle witht he
> gpars.github.io metadata a bit first though.
>
>> Have also done a pull request to bump GPars to use gradle 2.6 with
>
>> more than 1140+ tests - they all worked as expected. Have also (on my
>> local system) bumped GPars to gradle 2.7-rc-1 and again it all runs
>> as
>> i would expect. So once gradle 2.7 is official, i can pump that up as
>>
>> well.
>
> I merged the pull request. I usually do the Gradle upgrade fairly
> quickly after release, but you beat me to it – which is great :-)
>
> Good news regarding Gradle 2.7.
>
> Now I have to find time to restart GPars 2.0 development…
>
> --
> Russel.
> =
> =
> =
> =
> =
> =
> =
> Dr Russel Winder      t: +44 20 7585 2200   voip: sip:[hidden email]
> 41 Buckmaster Road    m: +44 7770 465 077   xmpp: [hidden email]
> London SW11 1EN, UK   w: www.russel.org.uk  skype: russel_winder

Re: What is the status of GPars?

jn0rthr
hi russell -
noticed that gradle 2.7 final has been released so i have updated my
local gpars build.gradle to 2.7 and re gened the wrapper. Then ran
full test suite again. All looks ok to me - as  much as i can
understand.

now before i put this final fix back into my gpars fork, do i need to
merge any new changes of yours into my fork and if so how pls as i
dunno that part yet.

Once my git gpars matched yours then i'll push 2.7 to my for and do a
pull request to make it happen. Well that's the plan at least ;-}

thanx gain
jim
On 8 Sep 2015, at 08:55, Russel Winder wrote:

> On Sat, 2015-09-05 at 12:22 +0200, James Northrop wrote:
>> Russel:
>> Thank you for that news. I am not qualified to do DNS stuff. I was
>> only wondering if you have some plan to bring all the GPars family
>> under a single umbrella website ?
>
> Václav owns the gpars.org domain and is in charge of the DNS zone
> records. Currently he has it pointing to his own server which has the
> most recent 1.2.1 documentation, which didn't used to be on the
> Codehaus site. With everything now on gpars.github.io, we could now
> set
> up the site to be www.gpars.org in it's entirety and then Václav could
> alter the DNS record. I think we have to fiddle witht he
> gpars.github.io metadata a bit first though.
>
>> Have also done a pull request to bump GPars to use gradle 2.6 with
>
>> more than 1140+ tests - they all worked as expected. Have also (on my
>> local system) bumped GPars to gradle 2.7-rc-1 and again it all runs
>> as
>> i would expect. So once gradle 2.7 is official, i can pump that up as
>>
>> well.
>
> I merged the pull request. I usually do the Gradle upgrade fairly
> quickly after release, but you beat me to it – which is great :-)
>
> Good news regarding Gradle 2.7.
>
> Now I have to find time to restart GPars 2.0 development…
>
> --
> Russel.
> =
> =
> =
> =
> =
> =
> =
> Dr Russel Winder      t: +44 20 7585 2200   voip: sip:[hidden email]
> 41 Buckmaster Road    m: +44 7770 465 077   xmpp: [hidden email]
> London SW11 1EN, UK   w: www.russel.org.uk  skype: russel_winder

Re: What is the status of GPars?

Russel Winder-3
Jim,

You beat me to it again :-)

On Mon, 2015-09-14 at 23:12 +0200, James Northrop wrote:
> hi russell -
> noticed that gradle 2.7 final has been released so i have updated my
> local gpars build.gradle to 2.7 and re gened the wrapper. Then ran
> full test suite again. All looks ok to me - as  much as i can
> understand.

Updating the Gradle version number in build.gradle, running the wrapper
task, running all the tests for a green, and if green committing, and
then creating a pull request is the exact process.

> now before i put this final fix back into my gpars fork, do i need to
>
> merge any new changes of yours into my fork and if so how pls as i
> dunno that part yet.
>
> Once my git gpars matched yours then i'll push 2.7 to my for and do a
>
> pull request to make it happen. Well that's the plan at least ;-}
[…]

As far as I am aware there are no missing changes. My personal fork on
GitHub should be the same as the GPars mainline repository. Last change
I see was 2015-09-07T23:32:36+01:00.

--
Russel.

Re: What is the status of GPars?

jn0rthr
not quite done yet Russel as i have not merged any new GPars work of
yours  since my work of a few weeks ago and i do NOT know how to
update my github fork to do that. So once i can see how to update my
GPars fork to the 'master' view of your GPars repo, then i shall be
more than pleased to do the honors.

After that i have a bit of time to trial groovy.2.4.5 out last nite -
just for grins :-}

more news soon
thx
jim
On 16 Sep 2015, at 12:40, Russel Winder wrote:

> Jim,
>
> You beat me to it again :-)
>
> On Mon, 2015-09-14 at 23:12 +0200, James Northrop wrote:
>> hi russell -
>> noticed that gradle 2.7 final has been released so i have updated my
>> local gpars build.gradle to 2.7 and re gened the wrapper. Then ran
>> full test suite again. All looks ok to me - as  much as i can
>> understand.
>
> Updating the Gradle version number in build.gradle, running the
> wrapper
> task, running all the tests for a green, and if green committing, and
> then creating a pull request is the exact process.
>
>> now before i put this final fix back into my gpars fork, do i need to
>>
>> merge any new changes of yours into my fork and if so how pls as i
>> dunno that part yet.
>>
>> Once my git gpars matched yours then i'll push 2.7 to my for and do a
>>
>> pull request to make it happen. Well that's the plan at least ;-}
> […]
>
> As far as I am aware there are no missing changes. My personal fork on
> GitHub should be the same as the GPars mainline repository. Last
> change
> I see was 2015-09-07T23:32:36+01:00.
>
> --
> Russel.
> =
> =
> =
> =
> =
> =
> =
> Dr Russel Winder      t: +44 20 7585 2200   voip: sip:[hidden email]
> 41 Buckmaster Road    m: +44 7770 465 077   xmpp: [hidden email]
> London SW11 1EN, UK   w: www.russel.org.uk  skype: russel_winder

12