[VOTE] Release Apache Groovy 2.6.0-alpha-1

[VOTE] Release Apache Groovy 2.6.0-alpha-1

Daniel Sun
Dear community,

I am happy to start the VOTE thread for a Groovy 2.6.0-alpha-1 release!

This release includes 32 bug fixes/improvements as outlined in the changelog:
https://issues.apache.org/jira/secure/ReleaseNote.jspa?projectId=12318123&version=12340456

Tag: https://git1-us-west.apache.org/repos/asf?p=groovy.git;a=tag;h=refs/tags/GROOVY_2_6_0_ALPHA_1
Tag commit id: b8dd41d734155495dea04975963a81bbcca99865

The artifacts to be voted on are located as follows (r21232).
Source release: https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/groovy/2.6.0-alpha-1/sources
Convenience binaries: https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/groovy/2.6.0-alpha-1/distribution

Release artifacts are signed with a key from the following file:
https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/groovy/KEYS

Please vote on releasing this package as Apache Groovy 2.6.0-alpha-1.

The vote is open for the next 72 hours and passes if a majority of at least three +1 PMC votes are cast.

[ ] +1 Release Apache Groovy 2.6.0-alpha-1
[ ]  0 I don't have a strong opinion about this, but I assume it's ok
[ ] -1 Do not release Apache Groovy 2.6.0-alpha-1 because...

Here is my vote:

+1 (binding)

Re: [VOTE] Release Apache Groovy 2.6.0-alpha-1

Daniel Sun
FYI, to enable the new parser Parrot,  -Dgroovy.antlr4=true  is required for 2.6.x releases.

Re: [VOTE] Release Apache Groovy 2.6.0-alpha-1

Graeme Rocher-2
Great!

+1

Graeme Rocher

Re: [VOTE] Release Apache Groovy 2.6.0-alpha-1

paulk_asert

I checked the signature and checksums of the source and binary artifacts.
I could build the jars, run the tests and install locally from the sources but because of Gradle's recent breaking changes you have to bootstrap getting the wrapper using Gradle 4.0+.
Also, when I try to run certain targets (e.g. dist) or particular combinations of switches (e.g. trying to skip indy) I also noticed the build would hang. It feels like a Gradle thing but I haven't had time to track it down.

In summary, +1 from me with some minor caveats we should mention in the release email/fix before the next alpha

* we should document the Gradle 4 requirement for running the wrapper task
* the license files specifically mention ASM 4 but we are now on 6 even though the license hasn't changed
* the Spock version referenced is a snapshot version - which is required for 3.0 at the moment but not needed for 2.6
* we should try to harden the build and work out why it hangs or whether particular steps/switches can be used to minimise potential problems
* we should release note some known limitations (final decision on native lambdas still pending, groovysh/groovydoc not yet working with Parrot)

Cheers, Paul.

On Tue, Aug 22, 2017 at 5:07 PM, Cédric Champeau <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

I tried the wrapper, 4.0 and 4.1, without any success. I couldn't run with `dist`, which is the main distribution task, so it seems rather unfortunate. The build is really horrible, and not getting any better. It's way slower than it should be, and hanging like this is unexpected.

[...]

Hi Paul,

     As to the native lambdas, it is always on my TODO list. I wish I had enough time to study how to generate bytecode for it...

Re: [VOTE] Release Apache Groovy 2.6.0-alpha-1

Jesper Steen Møller
It's two problems in one.

A) The code generation itself is not quite so bad as you might think, especially if we for a moment ignore serializable lambdas. For instance, here's how Eclipse's JDT does it:

It's a matter of recording a bootstrap method in the constant pool of the class, and then emitting a invokeDynamic to "hit" that bootstrap method.

B) The really tricky issue is the type analysis you need to have in place to figure out the type signature of the Lambdas type signature and implementation method. Both javac and  ECJ grew significantly in complexity in working to find this out, including backtracking. The choice of the lambda's type will in turn affect which possible overload to call.

Only the static compilation will have a chance to do this right, and getting it "perfect" (including variable and member capture) is pretty tricky.

-Jesper

On 22 Aug 2017, at 12.11, Paul King <[hidden email]> wrote:

It's on my TODO list too! But it's a long list! :-)

Paul.

On Tue, Aug 22, 2017 at 6:58 PM, Daniel Sun <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi Paul,

     As to the native lambdas, it is always on my TODO list. I wish I had
enough time to study how to generate bytecode for it...

Re: [VOTE] Release Apache Groovy 2.6.0-alpha-1

Daniel Sun
Hi Jesper,

      Thanks for your advice, which may help us save some time. Any pull requests are always welcome ;-)

      Finally thanks for your hard work to back port the Parrot to Java7.