Quantcast

[VOTE] Release Apache Groovy 2.5.0-alpha-1 (take 2)

[VOTE] Release Apache Groovy 2.5.0-alpha-1 (take 2)

paulk
Dear community,

I am happy to start the VOTE thread for a Groovy 2.5.0-alpha-1 release!

This release includes 165 bug fixes/improvements as outlined in the changelog:
https://issues.apache.org/jira/secure/ReleaseNote.jspa?projectId=12318123&version=12338913

Tag: https://git1-us-west.apache.org/repos/asf?p=groovy.git;a=tag;h=refs/tags/GROOVY_2_5_0_ALPHA_1
Tag commit id: 1f2069149a6eae4b5ba60f1b4aef5dab479cd272

The artifacts to be voted on are located as follows (r18957).
Source release:
https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/groovy/2.5.0-alpha-1/sources
Convenience binaries:
https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/groovy/2.5.0-alpha-1/distribution

Release artifacts are signed with a key from the following file:
https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/groovy/KEYS

Please vote on releasing this package as Apache Groovy 2.5.0-alpha-1.

The vote is open for the next 72 hours and passes if a majority of at
least three +1 PMC votes are cast.

[ ] +1 Release Apache Groovy 2.5.0-alpha-1
[ ]  0 I don't have a strong opinion about this, but I assume it's ok
[ ] -1 Do not release Apache Groovy 2.5.0-alpha-1 because...

Here is my vote:

+1 (binding)

Re: [VOTE] Release Apache Groovy 2.5.0-alpha-1 (take 2)

Sergei Egorov
-1
We have 1 failing test ( "MacroTest > testNotAMacroCall" )

Was caused by my recent change when I renamed extension module, sorry.

I pushed a test fix. Assumption was incorrect, see the commit for an explanation.

On Wed, Mar 29, 2017 at 4:18 PM Paul King <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

+1 (binding)

Re: [VOTE] Release Apache Groovy 2.5.0-alpha-1 (take 2)

Jochen Theodorou

On 29.03.2017 17:06, Sergei Egorov wrote:
> -1
> We have 1 failing test ( "MacroTest > testNotAMacroCall" )
>
> Was caused by my recent change when I renamed extension module, sorry.
>
> I pushed a test fix. Assumption was incorrect, see the commit for an
> explanation.

on a side note... where can I find the current up-to-date documentation
for macros... I mean if there is one ;)

Re: [VOTE] Release Apache Groovy 2.5.0-alpha-1 (take 2)

Indeed we need documentation.
There's some, but that's not covering the current refactored version.
Sergei, will you update it?

On Wed, Mar 29, 2017 at 5:16 PM, Jochen Theodorou <[hidden email]> wrote:

On 29.03.2017 17:06, Sergei Egorov wrote:
-1
We have 1 failing test ( "MacroTest > testNotAMacroCall" )

Was caused by my recent change when I renamed extension module, sorry.

I pushed a test fix. Assumption was incorrect, see the commit for an
explanation.

on a side note... where can I find the current up-to-date documentation for macros... I mean if there is one ;)

Re: [VOTE] Release Apache Groovy 2.5.0-alpha-1 (take 2)

I thought I had run the tests, but I had actually run installGroovy the second time instead of running the tests too.
I also get the failing test:

:groovy-macro:test

org.codehaus.groovy.macro.MacroTest > testNotAMacroCall FAILED

    java.lang.AssertionError: Closure org.codehaus.groovy.macro.MacroTest$_testNotAMacroCall_closure1@2a20258f should have failed with an exception of type groovy.lang.MissingMethodException, instead got Exception org.codehaus.groovy.runtime.metaclass.MethodSelectionException: Could not find which method macro() to invoke from this list:

      public java.lang.Object java.lang.Object#macro(groovy.lang.Closure)

      public java.lang.Object java.lang.Object#macro(boolean, groovy.lang.Closure)

      public java.lang.Object java.lang.Object#macro(org.codehaus.groovy.control.CompilePhase, groovy.lang.Closure)

      public java.lang.Object java.lang.Object#macro(org.codehaus.groovy.control.CompilePhase, boolean, groovy.lang.Closure)

        at org.junit.Assert.fail(Assert.java:88)

        at groovy.test.GroovyAssert.shouldFail(GroovyAssert.java:129)

        at groovy.util.GroovyTestCase.shouldFail(GroovyTestCase.java:222)

        at org.codehaus.groovy.macro.MacroTest.testNotAMacroCall(MacroTest.groovy:229)

On Wed, Mar 29, 2017 at 5:06 PM, Sergei Egorov <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Jochen,

This is a good question :)

I'm going to present them tomorrow on my workshop at Greach, will collect some feedback and then will start writing the docs.

The only explanation you can find now is here https://github.com/bsideup/groovy-macro-methods-proposal

There are open questions tho. Would be really nice if at least some of you will provide your opinions on them :)

FYI the refactorings didn't affect an API. Everything statement from "groovy-macro-methods-proposal" should be up to date, at least as far as I remember, so it's definitely a good start to learn about them.

On Wed, Mar 29, 2017 at 5:16 PM Jochen Theodorou <[hidden email]> wrote:

On 29.03.2017 17:06, Sergei Egorov wrote:
> -1
> We have 1 failing test ( "MacroTest > testNotAMacroCall" )
>
> Was caused by my recent change when I renamed extension module, sorry.
>
> I pushed a test fix. Assumption was incorrect, see the commit for an
> explanation.

on a side note... where can I find the current up-to-date documentation
for macros... I mean if there is one ;)

Re: [VOTE] Release Apache Groovy 2.5.0-alpha-1 (take 2)

Sergei Egorov
Guillaume,

Yes, I fixed this test already, builds are running, locally is green as well.

I had two long flights from 6am, please excuse me for today :)

On Wed, Mar 29, 2017 at 5:22 PM Sergei Egorov <[hidden email]> wrote:
Jochen,

This is a good question :)

I'm going to present them tomorrow on my workshop at Greach, will collect some feedback and then will start writing the docs.

The only explanation you can find now is here https://github.com/bsideup/groovy-macro-methods-proposal

There are open questions tho. Would be really nice if at least some of you will provide your opinions on them :)

FYI the refactorings didn't affect an API. Everything statement from "groovy-macro-methods-proposal" should be up to date, at least as far as I remember, so it's definitely a good start to learn about them.

On Wed, Mar 29, 2017 at 5:16 PM Jochen Theodorou <[hidden email]> wrote:

On 29.03.2017 17:06, Sergei Egorov wrote:
> -1
> We have 1 failing test ( "MacroTest > testNotAMacroCall" )
>
> Was caused by my recent change when I renamed extension module, sorry.
>
> I pushed a test fix. Assumption was incorrect, see the commit for an
> explanation.

on a side note... where can I find the current up-to-date documentation
for macros... I mean if there is one ;)

Re: [VOTE] Release Apache Groovy 2.5.0-alpha-1 (take 2)

On Wed, Mar 29, 2017 at 5:22 PM, Sergei Egorov <[hidden email]> wrote:
Jochen,

This is a good question :)

I'm going to present them tomorrow on my workshop at Greach, will collect some feedback and then will start writing the docs.

The only explanation you can find now is here https://github.com/bsideup/groovy-macro-methods-proposal

There are open questions tho. Would be really nice if at least some of you will provide your opinions on them :)

FYI the refactorings didn't affect an API. Everything statement from "groovy-macro-methods-proposal" should be up to date, at least as far as I remember, so it's definitely a good start to learn about them.

On Wed, Mar 29, 2017 at 5:16 PM Jochen Theodorou <[hidden email]> wrote:

On 29.03.2017 17:06, Sergei Egorov wrote:
> -1
> We have 1 failing test ( "MacroTest > testNotAMacroCall" )
>
> Was caused by my recent change when I renamed extension module, sorry.
>
> I pushed a test fix. Assumption was incorrect, see the commit for an
> explanation.

on a side note... where can I find the current up-to-date documentation
for macros... I mean if there is one ;)

Re: [VOTE] Release Apache Groovy 2.5.0-alpha-1 (take 2)

Sergei Egorov
True. But it's about "macro" method, aka "MacroGroovy". Its API also wasn't affected, basically, I just reimplemented it as a macro method :)

FYI build is green now: