Status of GPars

Russel Winder-3
Hi,

I have come to the decision to stop working on GPars. I have done very little
over the last year anyway, there has been no interest at all from the Groovy
community, and I am not doing much with Groovy or even the JVM these days –
except perhaps some Kotlin for writing the DLanguage CLion plugin.

Clearly the GPars organisation is there on GitHub, with multiple owners, as is
the source code. So there is no threat to the code, other than it is moribund
and other solutions are overtaking it. In particular Quasar, Kotlin
Coroutines, and Project Loom, are likely the future for much of the stuff in
GPars. GPars still has features not available elsewhere on the JVM, but it has
lost all momentum as a project.

--
Russel.
Dr Russel Winder      t: +44 20 7585 2200

London SW11 1EN, UK   w: www.russel.org.uk

Re: Status of GPars

Simon Sadedin
Understandable but sorry to hear it all the same.

For the record, I make a lot of use of GPars and it is extremely reliable and solid. I've been on the verge of submitting a pull request to add back-pressure to the actor classes since that's my main pain point in using the library.

Thanks for all the work you have put into it over the years!

Simon

On Sun, Feb 3, 2019 at 5:55 AM Russel Winder <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Paolo Di Tommaso
Indeed. Gpars is an amazing and super reliable piece of software.

I would be happy to contribute to keep it building and running.

Cheers,
Paolo