Quantcast

Static mode

Alex Tkachman

I was so happy to learn about static mode for groovy from blog post of Hamlet and not from discussion in this list. After several years convincing the world that it is great idea and having zero help from groovy core team. Thank you very much guys. For friendship and willingness of collaborate.

Best regards
Alex

Re: Static mode

Jochen Theodorou
Am 02.08.2011 09:53, schrieb Alex Tkachman:
> I was so happy to learn about static mode for groovy from blog post of
> Hamlet and not from discussion in this list. After several years
> convincing the world that it is great idea and having zero help from
> groovy core team. Thank you very much guys. For friendship and
> willingness of collaborate.

We wanted to go official after Guillaume's holiday by starting the
discussions here then. And after having a more clear picture of what
exactly we want to do.

Jochen "blackdrag" Theodorou
The Groovy Project Tech Lead
http://blackdragsview.blogspot.com/
For Groovy programming sources visit http://groovy.codehaus.org

Re: Static mode

HamletDRC2
I had forgotten Guillaume's request to stay quiet until after the holidays. I'm sorry I released this information too soon.

> Am 02.08.2011 09:53, schrieb Alex Tkachman:
> > I was so happy to learn about static mode for groovy from blog post
> > of
> > Hamlet and not from discussion in this list. After several years
> > convincing the world that it is great idea and having zero help
> > from
> > groovy core team. Thank you very much guys. For friendship and
> > willingness of collaborate.
>
> We wanted to go official after Guillaume's holiday by starting the
> discussions here then. And after having a more clear picture of what
> exactly we want to do.
>
> bye blackdrag
>
> --
> Jochen "blackdrag" Theodorou
> The Groovy Project Tech Lead
> http://blackdragsview.blogspot.com/
> For Groovy programming sources visit http://groovy.codehaus.org

Re: Static mode

Graeme Rocher-4
Yeah I gotta say it was really unwise to post that without a formal
discussion on the mailing list or anything and with Guillaume being on
holiday.

We are still some ways to having a clear picture of what to do.

Cheers

On Tue, Aug 2, 2011 at 12:09 PM, Hamlet DArcy <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I had forgotten Guillaume's request to stay quiet until after the holidays. I'm sorry I released this information too soon.

Graeme Rocher
Grails Project Lead
SpringSource - A Division of VMware
http://www.springsource.com

Re: Static mode

Am 02.08.2011 12:09, schrieb Hamlet DArcy:
> I had forgotten Guillaume's request to stay quiet until after the
> holidays. I'm sorry I released this information too soon.

I guess there's no use crying over spilt milk. Instead I want to use the
opportunity then to start the discussion. Any thoughts?

Am 02.08.2011 13:12, schrieb Jochen Theodorou:
> Am 02.08.2011 12:09, schrieb Hamlet DArcy:
>> I had forgotten Guillaume's request to stay quiet until after the
>> holidays. I'm sorry I released this information too soon.
>
> I guess there's no use crying over spilt milk. Instead I want to use the
> opportunity then to start the discussion. Any thoughts?

maybe I start...

Grumpy (project name, not actual name) will type check a Groovy program.
Not all Groovy programs will pass this, so Grumpy will make a real
subset of Groovy. Some things will most probably never compile. Part of
this is the spread operator. Another example would be the regexp
matching, were a Closure can have the number of matching groups as
parameters. I am intending to make an annotation used by Grumpy that can
express types more freely as strings.. for exmaple:

@StaticTyped("TT1(Ljava/lang/Object;Z)","TT1(Ljava/lang/Object)")
Object call(Object... args){...}

showing that even though the Java signature is to take any amount of
parameters and return something of type Object, that we instead define
this method to take an Object as first argument, a boolean as second
optional argument and return the generic type T1. This type information
would overwrite whatever is defined in the real signature... it simply
has to be compatible in the Groovy sense. This way Map#each can be
expressed. This is just a first step for our GDK, not really for all day
use and probably later replaced by something better. Besides this
variation system of signatures, I intend to be as close as possible to Java.

Jochen "blackdrag" Theodorou
The Groovy Project Tech Lead
http://blackdragsview.blogspot.com/
For Groovy programming sources visit http://groovy.codehaus.org

Re: Static mode

Graeme Rocher-4
Yes may I suggest "Grumpy" remain a codename and any actual code not
refer to it. It may be good as a humorous code but has no place in
Groovy itself.

I suggest the annotation be called @TypeSafe

On Tue, Aug 2, 2011 at 1:51 PM, Jochen Theodorou <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Am 02.08.2011 13:12, schrieb Jochen Theodorou:
>>
>> Am 02.08.2011 12:09, schrieb Hamlet DArcy:
>>>
>>> I had forgotten Guillaume's request to stay quiet until after the
>>> holidays. I'm sorry I released this information too soon.
>>
>> I guess there's no use crying over spilt milk. Instead I want to use the
>> opportunity then to start the discussion. Any thoughts?
>
> maybe I start...
>
> Grumpy (project name, not actual name) will type check a Groovy program. Not
> all Groovy programs will pass this, so Grumpy will make a real subset of
> Groovy. Some things will most probably never compile. Part of this is the
> spread operator. Another example would be the regexp matching, were a
> Closure can have the number of matching groups as parameters. I am intending
> to make an annotation used by Grumpy that can express types more freely as
> strings.. for exmaple:
>
> @StaticTyped("TT1(Ljava/lang/Object;Z)","TT1(Ljava/lang/Object)")
> Object call(Object... args){...}
>
> showing that even though the Java signature is to take any amount of
> parameters and return something of type Object, that we instead define this
> method to take an Object as first argument, a boolean as second optional
> argument and return the generic type T1. This type information would
> overwrite whatever is defined in the real signature... it simply has to be
> compatible in the Groovy sense. This way Map#each can be expressed. This is
> just a first step for our GDK, not really for all day use and probably later
> replaced by something better. Besides this variation system of signatures, I
> intend to be as close as possible to Java.
>
> bye blackdrag
>
> --
> Jochen "blackdrag" Theodorou
> The Groovy Project Tech Lead
> http://blackdragsview.blogspot.com/
> For Groovy programming sources visit http://groovy.codehaus.org

Graeme Rocher
Grails Project Lead
SpringSource - A Division of VMware
http://www.springsource.com

Re: Static mode

Daniel Henrique Alves Lima
        Hi.

        Sorry for bothering you all. I am not a Groovy developer. I'm
just curious about how Groovy static will look like. Is it Groovy++--?
        Sometimes I just miss a @JavaNative or @Java annotation, but I
think this can't be done. Something like:

/* MyClass.groovy */

def x = 12
def y = {a ->
   println a
}

def method() {
   y('test')
}

@Java
public int doStuff(int a, int b) {
   /* No need of being Groovy here. I am a "pure" Java method. I will
use Java syntax and I will be statically compiled. */
   /* For performance purpose only. The idea of Groovy + @Java methods
is similar to Java + JNI 'native' methods, but without an external
method definition. */

   return a + b;
}

Am 02.08.2011 14:04, schrieb Daniel Henrique Alves Lima:
>          Hi.
>
>          Sorry for bothering you all. I am not a Groovy developer. I'm
> just curious about how Groovy static will look like. Is it Groovy++--?
>          Sometimes I just miss a @JavaNative or @Java annotation, but I
> think this can't be done. Something like:

A first step is to do the type checker grumpy. And that is all Grumpy
will do for now. We may extend it to write out more native code later,
but for now we want to concentrate on that part.

Jochen "blackdrag" Theodorou
The Groovy Project Tech Lead
http://blackdragsview.blogspot.com/
For Groovy programming sources visit http://groovy.codehaus.org

Re: Static mode

Alex Tkachman

As i said I really appreciate being left out of the loop after all my contributions to groovy core and to vision of static compilation.

Best regards
Alex