Start a forum using Discourse

Nathan Harvey
Groovy is severely lacking in a modern and accessible forum board. Switching to a superior system could help the community grow by exposing people to the discussion and development of the language. Nabble does not really meet these requirements - switching could be a big deal.

My personal suggestion is switching to Discourse. Many similar communities use Discourse: Gradle (https://discuss.gradle.org/), Kotlin (https://discuss.kotlinlang.org/), Scala (https://users.scala-lang.org/) - the list goes on. Discourse is open source and offers free hosting to open source projects (if necessary).

Re: Start a forum using Discourse

Daniel Sun
Hi  Nathan,

      I like your idea :)

Re: Start a forum using Discourse

Robert Stagner
Is this going to happen?

Or, is it up for consideration? It would be great for the Groovy community

On Sat, Aug 19, 2017 at 2:18 AM Daniel Sun <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi  Nathan,

      I like your idea :)

www.monteirosfusion.com
sent from the road

www.monteirosfusion.com
sent from the road

Re: Start a forum using Discourse

Daniel Sun
Hi Guillaume,

      Maybe we can encourage groovy developers to set up some non-official forums, which are similar to what Java does ( http://javarevisited.blogspot.jp/2015/01/top-5-java-forums-for-programmers.html ) and will warm up Groovy community further more.

Re: Start a forum using Discourse

I'm not against the idea.
Users are free to open any forum they want anyway.
It's just that it's more work for us to monitor one more place, and if that forum is not lively and well supported, people might think Groovy itself is not lively.

Le 20 août 2017 8:36 AM, "Daniel Sun" <[hidden email]> a écrit :
Hi Guillaume,

      Maybe we can encourage groovy developers to set up some non-official
forums, which are similar to what Java does (
http://javarevisited.blogspot.jp/2015/01/top-5-java-forums-for-programmers.html
) and will warm up Groovy community further more.

Re: Start a forum using Discourse

Nathan Harvey

I think a proper forum would probably make the mailing list obsolete, so it wouldn't be much more. I agree that the forum has to be well kept and active, which is why it should be officially supported.

Robert, I was told that there would have to be support from the community for it to start moving through the "proper channels" of Apache to make it happen.

On Sun, Aug 20, 2017, 7:52 PM Guillaume Laforge [via Groovy] <[hidden email]> wrote:
I'm not against the idea.
Users are free to open any forum they want anyway.
It's just that it's more work for us to monitor one more place, and if that forum is not lively and well supported, people might think Groovy itself is not lively.

Le 20 août 2017 8:36 AM, "Daniel Sun" <[hidden email]> a écrit :
Hi Guillaume,

      Maybe we can encourage groovy developers to set up some non-official
forums, which are similar to what Java does (
http://javarevisited.blogspot.jp/2015/01/top-5-java-forums-for-programmers.html
) and will warm up Groovy community further more.

To unsubscribe from Start a forum using Discourse, click here.
NAML