[PROGRESS REPORT 20161004]groovy-parser

Daniel Sun
Hi List,

      Currently the new parser can parse almost all groovy source codes(including the scripts embedded) of groovy project(2.5.0 master branch, 4621 IN TOTAL, 4619 PASSES, 2 FAILED). In other words, the AST generated by the new and old parsers are almost same(except corrected location information of nodes). You can find more details in the groovy-parser repository(https://github.com/danielsun1106/groovy-parser).

     The 2 FAILED test cases is:
1) src/test/groovy/EscapedUnicodeTest.groovy(TODO find a better way to translate code written in unicode escapes);
2) subprojects/groovy-groovysh/src/main/groovy/org/codehaus/groovy/tools/shell/commands/DocCommand.groovy(TODO confirm: https://github.com/danielsun1106/groovy-parser/issues/5);

      The following work will be done in the near future:
1) set the new parser as the default parser to build groovy itself and run all test cases;
2) provide friendly error message;
3) add more features to make Groovy more compatible with Java, e.g. do-while, lambda expression, etc.

     At last, I want to thank Jochen Theodorou and Paul King, who provide me many suggestion and help while developping the new parser.

RE: [PROGRESS REPORT 20161004]groovy-parser

Chris Miles-4
Excellent, well done!

This message is intended solely for the use of the individual or organisation to whom it is addressed. It may contain privileged or confidential information. If you have received this message in error, please notify the originator immediately. If you are not the intended recipient, you should not use, copy, alter, or disclose the contents of this message. All information or opinions expressed in this message and/or any attachments are those of the author and are not necessarily those of the originating organisation or its affiliates. This message has been swept for viruses and malicious software on leaving our Email system. Sitemaker Software Ltd. Registered 03871424

RE: [PROGRESS REPORT 20161004]groovy-parser

atuzov

+1

Excellent, well done!

This message is intended solely for the use of the individual or organisation to whom it is addressed. It may contain privileged or confidential information. If you have received this message in error, please notify the originator immediately. If you are not the intended recipient, you should not use, copy, alter, or disclose the contents of this message. All information or opinions expressed in this message and/or any attachments are those of the author and are not necessarily those of the originating organisation or its affiliates. This message has been swept for viruses and malicious software on leaving our Email system. Sitemaker Software Ltd. Registered 03871424

Re: [PROGRESS REPORT 20161004]groovy-parser

I'm trying to set the new parser as the default to build and test, 13396 tests completed, 6 failed, 9 skipped

https://travis-ci.org/danielsun1106/groovy

RE: [PROGRESS REPORT 20161004]groovy-parser

Thanks :)

Re: [PROGRESS REPORT 20161004]groovy-parser

Graeme Rocher-2
That is awesome, keep up the good work.

Cheers

On Wed, Oct 5, 2016 at 5:57 AM, daniel_sun <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Thanks :)

Graeme Rocher

答复: [PROGRESS REPORT 20161004]groovy-parser

Daniel Sun

Hi Graeme,

      The last test result is shown as following:

https://travis-ci.org/danielsun1106/groovy/builds/165263810

13395 tests completed, 3 failed, 9 skipped

       Currently I'm trying to solve the following issue, which blocks me to verify issues. It's pity that I'm not very familiar with gradle and travis CI, so I've asked Cédric and Paul for help. BTW, I  can run test cases without any problem on my local machine.

[org.gradle.api.tasks.TaskExecutionException: Execution failed for task ':groovy-ant:compileTestGroovy']
org.gradle.process.internal.worker.WorkerProcessException: Failed to run Gradle Compiler Daemon

       Graeme, did you encounter some similiar problem like the above ever?

On Wed, Oct 5, 2016 at 5:57 AM, daniel_sun <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Thanks :)

Graeme Rocher

http://groovy.329449.n5.nabble.com/PROGRESS-REPORT-20161004-groovy-parser-tp5735725p5735829.html
NAML

Re: 答复: [PROGRESS REPORT 20161004]groovy-parser

Graeme Rocher-2
Hi Daniel,

Yes I have seen that before, it happens when Travis runs out of memory
since each Travis build is limited by memory. Try split up the steps
that compile the code with the steps that run the tests and also avoid
using the Gradle daemon:

./gradlew compileGroovy --no-daemon
./gradlew compileTestGroovy --no-daemon
./gradlew test --no-daemon

Also in my experience Java 8 is more memory intensive than Java 7, so
if you can use Java 7 to build that often helps.

Cheers

On Thu, Oct 6, 2016 at 12:16 PM, daniel_sun <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi Graeme,
>

>       The last test result is shown as following:
>
> https://travis-ci.org/danielsun1106/groovy/builds/165263810
>
> 13395 tests completed, 3 failed, 9 skipped
>
>        Currently I'm trying to solve the following issue, which blocks me to
> verify issues. It's pity that I'm not very familiar with gradle and travis
> CI, so I've asked Cédric and Paul for help. BTW, I  can run test cases
> without any problem on my local machine.
>
> [org.gradle.api.tasks.TaskExecutionException: Execution failed for task
> ':groovy-ant:compileTestGroovy']
> org.gradle.process.internal.worker.WorkerProcessException: Failed to run
> Gradle Compiler Daemon
> https://github.com/danielsun1106/groovy/issues/4
>

>        Graeme, did you encounter some similiar problem like the above ever?
>
> Thanks,
> Daniel.Sun
> ________________________________

Graeme Rocher

答复: 答复: [PROGRESS REPORT 20161004]groovy-parser

Daniel Sun

Hi Graeme,

       Thanks for your help! I'll give it a try :)

PS: The new parser requires Java8 because streams and lambda expression are used.

Yes I have seen that before, it happens when Travis runs out of memory
since each Travis build is limited by memory. Try split up the steps
that compile the code with the steps that run the tests and also avoid
using the Gradle daemon:

./gradlew compileGroovy --no-daemon
./gradlew compileTestGroovy --no-daemon
./gradlew test --no-daemon

Also in my experience Java 8 is more memory intensive than Java 7, so
if you can use Java 7 to build that often helps.

Cheers

On Thu, Oct 6, 2016 at 12:16 PM, daniel_sun <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi Graeme,
>

>       The last test result is shown as following:
>
> https://travis-ci.org/danielsun1106/groovy/builds/165263810
>
> 13395 tests completed, 3 failed, 9 skipped
>
>        Currently I'm trying to solve the following issue, which blocks me to
> verify issues. It's pity that I'm not very familiar with gradle and travis
> CI, so I've asked Cédric and Paul for help. BTW, I  can run test cases
> without any problem on my local machine.
>
> [org.gradle.api.tasks.TaskExecutionException: Execution failed for task
> ':groovy-ant:compileTestGroovy']
> org.gradle.process.internal.worker.WorkerProcessException: Failed to run
> Gradle Compiler Daemon
> https://github.com/danielsun1106/groovy/issues/4
>

>        Graeme, did you encounter some similiar problem like the above ever?
>
> Thanks,
> Daniel.Sun
> ________________________________

Graeme Rocher

http://groovy.329449.n5.nabble.com/PROGRESS-REPORT-20161004-groovy-parser-tp5735725p5735833.html
NAML

Re: 答复: 答复: [PROGRESS REPORT 20161004]groovy-parser

Graeme Rocher-2
Oh, it could be a problem dropping Java 7 support if this were ever
contributed to Groovy core

Cheers

Graeme Rocher
123