Official Docker Groovy images

keeganwitt
Official Docker images of Groovy are now available: https://hub.docker.com/_/groovy/.  Enjoy!  And let me know any issues you encounter (either reach out directly or report an issue on GitHub).

-Keegan

Re: Official Docker Groovy images

Daniel Sun
Nice!

Re: Official Docker Groovy images

Well done, Keegan!

On Wed, Mar 1, 2017 at 8:12 AM, Daniel Sun <[hidden email]> wrote:
Nice!

Re: Official Docker Groovy images

Cédric Champeau
Good job Keegan!

Just nitpicking, but what does make those images official? Are they endorsed by the ASF?

I'm preparing to update for 2.4.9 and am considering two significant changes to the initial image.  First, to create a volume to prevent Grape caches from being put into downstream images (PR #6), and using a user other than root for the container (PR #7).  I'm pretty sure I'm going to do #6, should be pretty safe.  But I'm still weighing #7.  I wanna get that decided this week so that we pick something and stick with it, to avoid breaking anything later.  Please weigh in if you have any opinion.

-Keegan

On Wed, Mar 1, 2017 at 3:20 AM, Guillaume Laforge <[hidden email]> wrote:
Well done, Keegan!

On Wed, Mar 1, 2017 at 8:12 AM, Daniel Sun <[hidden email]> wrote:
Nice!

Re: Official Docker Groovy images

keeganwitt
Sorry, I should have clarified the term.  By "official", I mean the way Docker team uses the term (which you can read more about here).  Short version is that the upstream project is OK with them being in Docker Hub, they've been reviewed by Docker team for best practices, Docker team does security checks on the images, and helps make sure security patches get applied quickly, and are generally a good choice for those looking for an image with the software they're after.

It doesn't mean they're endorsed by ASF, and not even that they're necessarily strongly affiliated with the upstream project.  In my mind, they sit in the same place as the Windows installer; kinda official since it's maintained by someone on the Groovy team, but also kinda unofficial since it's a convenience binary not strictly following ASF standards.

Make sense?

-Keegan