New webapp development kit using Groovy

Blake McBride
Greetings,

I put together an open-source web application development system that uses Groovy.  It is a complete (front-end and back-end) solution for web-based business applications.  It includes features such as microservices, SQL support, custom HTML tags, REST services, user authentication, etc.  Take a look if it sounds interesting:  kissweb.org

Blake McBride

Re: New webapp development kit using Groovy

Edmond Kemokai-2
Hi Blake,

This is intriguing, what prompted you to create it? are you using it for any projects?

At Codesolvent (codesolvent.com), our platform which uses Groovy in a somewhat related way via JSR-228, tackles similar problems.

Is there any sort of UI IDE component to this? You mentioned " advanced development facilities ".

Re: New webapp development kit using Groovy

Blake McBride
Hi Edmond,

I have done a number of web-based business applications over the years (e.g. arahant.com, yumyum.io, booklion.com ) and through it, a system began to emerge.  Having written other development tools over the years (e.g. DynaceAPLUtils ), I decided to tease out "the system", document it, and put it out there.  I do a lot of development, and this gives me a good starting point, and a good development environment.  I thought I'd share.

I hadn't heard of your platform.  I'll definitely take a look.

There is a UI component to Kiss, but that's not its focus.  Really, it has most of what I need except a grid control, and that's easy to find.  Having 30+ years in development, I have some good background experiences.  I've looked at some of the tools out there and found them to be big on the whiz-bang but very short on the meat and potatoes.  The need to solve real problems and my inability to find a satisfactory solution led me to Kiss.

I suppose the "advanced facilities" would be the microservice architecture and the fact that you can create your own HTML tags/elements, as well as the fact that you can control the browser cache.  The microservices means that you can add, change, and delete web services without rebooting your web server.  Changes take affect immediately.  Creating your own HTML tags means that you can easily encapsulate and re-use common UI elements.  And having control over the browser cache means that you can be assured that your users are using the latest code while still taking maximal advantage of browser cache when the code hasn't changed.

Thanks!

Blake McBride

On Tue, Jul 3, 2018 at 8:57 AM Edmond Kemokai <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi Blake,

This is intriguing, what prompted you to create it? are you using it for any projects?

At Codesolvent (codesolvent.com), our platform which uses Groovy in a somewhat related way via JSR-228, tackles similar problems.

Is there any sort of UI IDE component to this? You mentioned " advanced development facilities ".

Re: New webapp development kit using Groovy

Edmond Kemokai-2
interesting, I'll dig into Kiss to see if there are any Gems I find useful...thanks for sharing.

--
“talk trash and carry a small stick.”
PAUL KRUGMAN (NYT)

"I believe god invented man, because he was disappointed in the monkey"
Mark Twain

"Beware of geeks bearing formulas"
Warren Buffett

Re: New webapp development kit using Groovy

Simon Sadedin
Congrats on the release!

Looks like a sort of full-stack version of Vert.x or similar (or micronaut for that matter). Actually would fit the bill for a lot of projects where I find grails too heavy and slow, especially for SPAs where the front end is very decoupled from the back end.

Will be giving it a try and see how it goes.

Cheers,

Simon