New Groovy Windows installer

keeganwitt
I'm working on a new installer for Windows using WIX to create an MSI installer, which should be more robust for things like altering environment variables and make it easier to do corporate installations.

I'm a total noob when it comes to Windows Installer and WIX, so I'm sure I've done some dumb things, but I hacked together a basic working installer this weekend.  I've put the initial version of the installer here.  Your feedback is appreciated.

Some things I'm still thinking about or working on:
  • The start menu shortcuts for documentation don't go into a subfolder, I'm not sure why.
  • Heat will generate new GUIDs for the binaries and docs folders every time the project is built -- I'm not sure if that's the correct thing to do.
  • Would you ever want to set GROOVY_HOME without adding to PATH?  Or add to PATH without setting GROOVY_HOME?  Currently the installer groups these together in a single feature.
  • We should use registry entries to remember which features the user selected to install, so those are automatically selected during upgrades.
  • Desktop shortcuts.
  • Quick launch shortcuts.  I don't think people use these much anymore, but I can throw them in -- maybe disabled by default?
  • Should I create an exe version of the installer as well as the msi?
-Keegan

Re: New Groovy Windows installer

keeganwitt
Oh, one more item
  • Is 200 the installer version I should use?

-Keegan

Re: New Groovy Windows installer

keeganwitt
Oh, and one important note for those playing with the new installer:
uninstall the NSIS based Groovy first and make sure GROOVY_HOME,
%PROGRAM_FILES%\Groovy, and PATH are free from references to the old
installation before proceeding.

On Sun, Feb 10, 2019 at 9:26 PM Keegan Witt <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Oh, one more item
>
> Is 200 the installer version I should use?
>

> On Sun, Feb 10, 2019 at 9:24 PM Keegan Witt <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> I'm working on a new installer for Windows using WIX to create an MSI installer, which should be more robust for things like altering environment variables and make it easier to do corporate installations.
>>
>> I'm a total noob when it comes to Windows Installer and WIX, so I'm sure I've done some dumb things, but I hacked together a basic working installer this weekend.  I've put the initial version of the installer here.  Your feedback is appreciated.
>>
>> Some things I'm still thinking about or working on:
>>
>> The start menu shortcuts for documentation don't go into a subfolder, I'm not sure why.
>> Heat will generate new GUIDs for the binaries and docs folders every time the project is built -- I'm not sure if that's the correct thing to do.
>> Would you ever want to set GROOVY_HOME without adding to PATH?  Or add to PATH without setting GROOVY_HOME?  Currently the installer groups these together in a single feature.
>> We should use registry entries to remember which features the user selected to install, so those are automatically selected during upgrades.
>> Desktop shortcuts.
>> Quick launch shortcuts.  I don't think people use these much anymore, but I can throw them in -- maybe disabled by default?
>> Should I create an exe version of the installer as well as the msi?
>>
>> -Keegan

Re: New Groovy Windows installer

keeganwitt
Update: The documentation directory on the start menu actually does
get created -- Windows 10 just doesn't show subdirectories on start
menu folders like previous versions of Windows did.

On Sun, Feb 10, 2019 at 11:07 PM Keegan Witt <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Oh, and one important note for those playing with the new installer:
> uninstall the NSIS based Groovy first and make sure GROOVY_HOME,
> %PROGRAM_FILES%\Groovy, and PATH are free from references to the old
> installation before proceeding.
>
> On Sun, Feb 10, 2019 at 9:26 PM Keegan Witt <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> > Oh, one more item
> >
> > Is 200 the installer version I should use?
> >

> > On Sun, Feb 10, 2019 at 9:24 PM Keegan Witt <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >>
> >> I'm working on a new installer for Windows using WIX to create an MSI installer, which should be more robust for things like altering environment variables and make it easier to do corporate installations.
> >>
> >> I'm a total noob when it comes to Windows Installer and WIX, so I'm sure I've done some dumb things, but I hacked together a basic working installer this weekend.  I've put the initial version of the installer here.  Your feedback is appreciated.
> >>
> >> Some things I'm still thinking about or working on:
> >>
> >> The start menu shortcuts for documentation don't go into a subfolder, I'm not sure why.
> >> Heat will generate new GUIDs for the binaries and docs folders every time the project is built -- I'm not sure if that's the correct thing to do.
> >> Would you ever want to set GROOVY_HOME without adding to PATH?  Or add to PATH without setting GROOVY_HOME?  Currently the installer groups these together in a single feature.
> >> We should use registry entries to remember which features the user selected to install, so those are automatically selected during upgrades.
> >> Desktop shortcuts.
> >> Quick launch shortcuts.  I don't think people use these much anymore, but I can throw them in -- maybe disabled by default?
> >> Should I create an exe version of the installer as well as the msi?
> >>
> >> -Keegan

Re: New Groovy Windows installer

keeganwitt
And the Quick Launch toolbar was removed in Windows 7 (although it can
be added back manually), so I think I won't bother with those
shortcuts.  I never noticed it was removed because I never used it.