JetGroovy Missing Many Operations

Randall R Schulz
Hi,

I saw in this thread
(<http://www.intellij.net/forums/thread.jspa?threadID=269121&tstart=25>)
in the IDEA EAP forum that the JetGroovy plug-in adds these items to
the Groovy sub-menu of the New context menu in the project tree:

New - Groovy:
- Groovy Class
- Groovy Script
- Grails Application
- Grails Domain Class
- Grails Controller
- Grails Service
- Grails Job
- Grails Script
- Grails TagLib

When I activate at the Groovy sub-menu, I see only these:

- Groovy Class
- Groovy Script
- Grails Application

Am I doing something wrong or is there a problem somewhere in my IDEA or
JetGroovy? I'm using IDEA v7 M2 (#7126) on Linux with Java 1.5 (I'd use
1.6, but I'm one of the people who experience very slow scrolling in
that case). I just updated / reinstalled my JetGroovy plug-in, but
nothing changed.

I asked this question on that thread, but got no replies.

Randall Schulz

Re: JetGroovy Missing Many Operations

Stand Trooper
In my experience, in order to create the domain class, controller, service, job, script and taglib you must have a grails application created.

Once the Grails app is created you'll see the missing items in the context menu.

--
Don't forget to "Give it up for a Trooper",

timo
StandTrooper

On Friday 17 August 2007 11:21, Stand Trooper wrote:
> In my experience, in order to create the domain class, controller,
> service, job, script and taglib you must have a grails application
> created.
>
> Once the Grails app is created you'll see the missing items in the
> context menu.

But I do have one. That's were I tried.

RRS

Re: JetGroovy Missing Many Operations

Stand Trooper
Ok, wierd.  Your project is loaded into intellij, obviously... does it have the green groovy circle icon for the grails app?

On Friday 17 August 2007 11:40, Stand Trooper wrote:
> Ok, wierd.  Your project is loaded into intellij, obviously... does
> it have the green groovy circle icon for the grails app?

The Grails app itself? No. it just shows a generic folder icon (with the
tiny blue dot). I created the Grails app via the command line before I
upgraded to the IDEA v7 EAP (first #7104 and now #7126).

How do I get IDEA / JetGroovy to know that this is a Grails application?

Randall Schulz

Re: JetGroovy Missing Many Operations

Don't forget that if you find bugs, you should file them in JetBrains
issue tracker so as to be sure they don't let bugs slip through:

http://www.jetbrains.net/jira/browse/GRVY

On Friday 17 August 2007 11:56, Guillaume Laforge wrote:
> Don't forget that if you find bugs, you should file them in JetBrains
> issue tracker so as to be sure they don't let bugs slip through:
>
> http://www.jetbrains.net/jira/browse/GRVY

Oh, yeah. I live to file bug reports...

RRS

Re: JetGroovy Missing Many Operations

Stand Trooper
Guillaume I totally agree (I've submitted more than one:))

Randall,
     This is a complicated issue that IntelliJ doesn't handle exactly each time.  As well there is an incorporated bug that will need to be submitted.
     The easiest way to get IntelliJ to recognize that it's a Grails application is to R click on your project folder (in intellIJ) and select new->Grails application  select the directory your Grails app is in and it will do the rest.  I have converted several projects this way.  Once the it says it's done you should be able to R click on the project Icon (which should now be a Green circle with a G in the middle) and add new domain classes, etc.

    There is are two small bugs related to a grails app:
    1) just adding the Grails facet to your project does not enable these additional views (nor does it convert your project to a Grails application, but that could be considered not a bug)
    2) creating a grails application where one does not yet exist (R clicking via the projects display -> new -> Grails App), does fail with a horrific death.

        creating a grails app via the settings context popup does not bomb out, however, it does only create a src directory.  I would think that creating a Grails App in this manner or even bug #2 would generate the folders as expected with a command line creation.

Let me know if that works for you Randall.  I'll get started (looking up and then entering these bugs)

--

On 8/17/07, Guillaume Laforge <[hidden email]> wrote:
Don't forget that if you find bugs, you should file them in JetBrains
issue tracker so as to be sure they don't let bugs slip through:

http://www.jetbrains.net/jira/browse/GRVY

On 8/17/07, Randall R Schulz <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Friday 17 August 2007 11:21, Stand Trooper wrote:
> > In my experience, in order to create the domain class, controller,
> > service, job, script and taglib you must have a grails application
> > created.
> >
> > Once the Grails app is created you'll see the missing items in the
> > context menu.
>
> But I do have one. That's were I tried.
>
> RRS

>     http://xircles.codehaus.org/manage_email

Re: JetGroovy Missing Many Operations

Chris Chen

I just went through the process to fix this problem.  I am using
IntelliJ IDA 7.0M2.

To turn your current module into a Grails Application, you can either:

1) Do a New -> Groovy -> Grails Application.  In this case, it
creates a new module that is recognized as a grails application and
you will have to migrate data over.

OR the easier way:

2) Close your project.  Open and edit your main module file (module
files have the extension .iml).  In the first root element, it might
say something like this:

<module relativePaths="true" type="JAVA_MODULE" version="4">

Change the type to

<module relativePaths="true" type="GRAILS_MODULE" version="4">

Save the IML file.  Then open your project again and it should be
recognized as a Grails module with all the amenities that come with
it. :)

-Chris

On Friday 17 August 2007 12:09, Stand Trooper wrote:

> Guillaume I totally agree (I've submitted more than one:))
>
> Randall,
>
>     There is are two small bugs related to a grails app:
>     1) just adding the Grails facet to your project does not enable
> these additional views (nor does it convert your project to a Grails
> application, but that could be considered not a bug)
>     2) creating a grails application where one does not yet exist (R
> clicking via the projects display -> new -> Grails App), does fail
> with a horrific death.
>
>         creating a grails app via the settings context popup does not
> bomb out, however, it does only create a src directory.  I would
> think that creating a Grails App in this manner or even bug #2 would
> generate the folders as expected with a command line creation.
>
> Let me know if that works for you Randall.  I'll get started (looking
> up and then entering these bugs)

It did something, but not what I expected or wanted. I tried to point it
to my existing Grails app as you suggested but it just created a new
Grails app (though it showed an alert that said it failed) and somehow
has irrevocably blinded IDEA to the old one. The old files are still
there, but they don't show up in the project tree, not even after
re-synchronizing and restarting IDEA.

Now I have a bit of a mess on my hands and I'm going to have to figure
out how to put it right. No doubt I'm going to have to edit IDEA
project description files, as Chris Chen mentions.

Randall Schulz