JSR-06 new proposal?

Cliff-3
This sounds scary but I just looked at the Groovy roadmap, eager to find out
when the RC would be officially due and saw a change. Apparently there is a
proposal to replace the @Property notation for defining fields and attributes
which will be incorporated in a new JSR release? I thought the majority of
the syntax was finalized and that RC1 would be available somtime this month.
What's with the new proposal? Where can I find more info? I could be making a
mountain out of a mole hill but this sounds pretty major to me. Won't this
affect the thousands (millions?) of lines of groovy source already out there?
Will this affect Grails? Am I asking too many questions? Who put the "bop" in
the "bop-shoe-bop-shoe-bop"? Who put the "ram" in
the "ram-a-lam-a-ding-dong"?

Clifton C. Craig, Software Engineer
Intelligent Computer Systems -  A Division of GBG

Re: JSR-06 new proposal?

tugwilson

On 11 May 2006, at 17:07, Clifton Craig wrote:

> This sounds scary but I just looked at the Groovy roadmap, eager to
> find out
> when the RC would be officially due and saw a change. Apparently
> there is a
> proposal to replace the @Property notation for defining fields and
> attributes
> which will be incorporated in a new JSR release? I thought the
> majority of
> the syntax was finalized and that RC1 would be available somtime
> this month.
> What's with the new proposal? Where can I find more info? I could
> be making a
> mountain out of a mole hill but this sounds pretty major to me.
> Won't this
> affect the thousands (millions?) of lines of groovy source already
> out there?
> Will this affect Grails?

The change was made in response to s suggestion by Graeme:)

See the migration notes in http://docs.codehaus.org/display/GroovyJSR/
Property+proposal

John Wilson
The Wilson Partnership
web http://www.wilson.co.uk
blog http://eek.ook.org

Re: JSR-06 new proposal?

On 5/11/06, John Wilson <[hidden email]> wrote:
> [...]
> The change was made in response to s suggestion by Graeme:)
>
> See the migration notes in http://docs.codehaus.org/display/GroovyJSR/Property+proposal

Moreover, it's been discussed on all the lists some time ago.
The change is not a big change, and the migration notes are easy to follow.
That's the last change that can have an impact on the syntax.
We wanted to release RC-1 directly, but it's going to take some time
to implement the new MOP -- which is about improving the internals,
the dynamic capabilities and the overall performance of the runtime
and the language.
So, either we don't release anything till RC-1... or we create a new
JSR-06 to follow the mantra "release often" to give a new release with
a few bug fixes to suit everybody. Hence why I created "JSR-06"
milestone in the roadmap recently.

Re: JSR-06 new proposal?

Cliff-3
On Thursday 11 May 2006 1:34 pm, Guillaume Laforge wrote:

> On 5/11/06, John Wilson <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > [...]
> > The change was made in response to s suggestion by Graeme:)
> >
> > See the migration notes in
> > http://docs.codehaus.org/display/GroovyJSR/Property+proposal
>
> Moreover, it's been discussed on all the lists some time ago.
> The change is not a big change, and the migration notes are easy to follow.
> That's the last change that can have an impact on the syntax.
> We wanted to release RC-1 directly, but it's going to take some time
> to implement the new MOP -- which is about improving the internals,
> the dynamic capabilities and the overall performance of the runtime
> and the language.
> So, either we don't release anything till RC-1... or we create a new
> JSR-06 to follow the mantra "release often" to give a new release with
> a few bug fixes to suit everybody. Hence why I created "JSR-06"
> milestone in the roadmap recently.
Ok I got'cha. I missed the earlier announcement. I may not have been signed up
for the list at the time, who knows. It may not seem like a big change but
any change that affects the syntax is big. Will the sed script be made
available as a migration tool? Will there be a Windows equivalent or will
users need to install Cygwin or something? These aren't really my concerns as
I haven't used Groovy on any major projects yet. I have been planning on
using it for something big though. That's why this came as a shock to me.
Don't get me wrong, I love the language and all I just get nervous when I see
it still going under syntax chages. However, if you say this is the last
syntax alteration, I'll go with that and maybe go on to use it for "something
big" soon. Can't wait for the RC! Oh and by the way... forgive my stoopidity
but what is MOP? As I understand it's the name of one of my favorite hip-hop
groups and stands for Mash Out Posse though I believe you use it to mean
something dramatically different. ;)

On 11 May 2006, at 19:25, Clifton Craig wrote:

>  what is MOP

The Meta Object Protocol. Basically it's the set of method calls used
by the Groovy runtime to call methods, get and set properties, etc on
Objects. The ability of Groovy to intercept and or modify the effect
of these calls give groovy a lot of its power. (For example, GPath
expressions and Builders use the MOP)

John Wilson
The Wilson Partnership
web http://www.wilson.co.uk
blog http://eek.ook.org

Re: JSR-06 new proposal?

Cliff-3
On Thursday 11 May 2006 2:30 pm, John Wilson wrote:
> On 11 May 2006, at 19:25, Clifton Craig wrote:
> >  what is MOP
>
> The Meta Object Protocol. Basically it's the set of method calls used
> by the Groovy runtime to call methods, get and set properties, etc on
> Objects. The ability of Groovy to intercept and or modify the effect
> of these calls give groovy a lot of its power. (For example, GPath
> expressions and Builders use the MOP)

Thanx John. Though I still sub conciously expand the acronym to "Mash Out
Posse" whenever I see it your definition makes a hell of a lot more sense. ;)
It's funny how the mind works. Has that ever haapened to you?