Quantcast

Incremental compilation - compiler version

Incremental compilation - compiler version

Bartosz
I'd like to know from which Groovy compiler version the incremental
compilation feature is provided?
Does Groovy 1.7.0 support this feature?

Regards,
Bartek

Re: Incremental compilation - compiler version

Jochen Theodorou
Am 24.02.2012 13:03, schrieb Bartosz:
> I'd like to know from which Groovy compiler version the incremental
> compilation feature is provided?
> Does Groovy 1.7.0 support this feature?

incremental compilation feature? What exactly do you mean?

Jochen "blackdrag" Theodorou - Groovy Project Tech Lead
german groovy discussion newsgroup: de.comp.lang.misc
For Groovy programming sources visit http://groovy-lang.org

Re: Incremental compilation - compiler version

Bartosz
Suppose you have Groovy Project in Groovy-Eclipse plugin.
As incremental compiling I mean that if you make a small change in a
file, then only this file will be compiled, but not all project.
This feature probably depends on both Groovy compiler and
Groovy-Eclipse plugin version.

Regards,
Bartek

W dniu 24 lutego 2012 14:16 użytkownik Jochen Theodorou
<[hidden email]> napisał:

> Am 24.02.2012 13:03, schrieb Bartosz:
>
>> I'd like to know from which Groovy compiler version the incremental
>> compilation feature is provided?
>> Does Groovy 1.7.0 support this feature?
>

> incremental compilation feature? What exactly do you mean?
>
> bye blackdrag
>
> --
> Jochen "blackdrag" Theodorou - Groovy Project Tech Lead
> blog: http://blackdragsview.blogspot.com/
> german groovy discussion newsgroup: de.comp.lang.misc
> For Groovy programming sources visit http://groovy-lang.org

Re: Incremental compilation - compiler version

Andrew Eisenberg
Incremental compilation is only available inside of Eclipse using
Groovy-Eclipse.  And it is available for 1.7.10 as well as 1.8.6.

2012/2/24 Bartosz <[hidden email]>:

> Suppose you have Groovy Project in Groovy-Eclipse plugin.
> As incremental compiling I mean that if you make a small change in a
> file, then only this file will be compiled, but not all project.
> This feature probably depends on both Groovy compiler and
> Groovy-Eclipse plugin version.
>
> Regards,
> Bartek
>
> W dniu 24 lutego 2012 14:16 użytkownik Jochen Theodorou
> <[hidden email]> napisał:
>> Am 24.02.2012 13:03, schrieb Bartosz:
>>
>>> I'd like to know from which Groovy compiler version the incremental
>>> compilation feature is provided?
>>> Does Groovy 1.7.0 support this feature?
>>

>> incremental compilation feature? What exactly do you mean?
>>
>> bye blackdrag
>>
>> --
>> Jochen "blackdrag" Theodorou - Groovy Project Tech Lead
>> blog: http://blackdragsview.blogspot.com/
>> german groovy discussion newsgroup: de.comp.lang.misc
>> For Groovy programming sources visit http://groovy-lang.org

Re: Incremental compilation - compiler version

Bartosz
Thank you for your reply.
1. To be sure, don't earlier than 1.7.10 or 1.8.6 Groovy releases
provide this feature?
2. Is Eclipse-Groovy plug-in version also important? If yes, since
which release does it support incremental compiling?

Regards,
Bartek

W dniu 24 lutego 2012 17:07 użytkownik Andrew Eisenberg
<[hidden email]> napisał:

> Incremental compilation is only available inside of Eclipse using
> Groovy-Eclipse.  And it is available for 1.7.10 as well as 1.8.6.
>
> 2012/2/24 Bartosz <[hidden email]>:
>> Suppose you have Groovy Project in Groovy-Eclipse plugin.
>> As incremental compiling I mean that if you make a small change in a
>> file, then only this file will be compiled, but not all project.
>> This feature probably depends on both Groovy compiler and
>> Groovy-Eclipse plugin version.
>>
>> Regards,
>> Bartek
>>
>> W dniu 24 lutego 2012 14:16 użytkownik Jochen Theodorou
>> <[hidden email]> napisał:

>>> incremental compilation feature? What exactly do you mean?
>>>
>>> bye blackdrag
>>>
>>> --
>>> Jochen "blackdrag" Theodorou - Groovy Project Tech Lead
>>> blog: http://blackdragsview.blogspot.com/
>>> german groovy discussion newsgroup: de.comp.lang.misc
>>> For Groovy programming sources visit http://groovy-lang.org

Re: Incremental compilation - compiler version

Andrew Eisenberg
All versions of Groovy-Eclipse since 2.0 support incremental
compilation of Groovy (but only when compiling inside of Eclipse).
So, yes, earlier versions of Groovy are supported in earlier versions
of Groovy-Eclipse. However, we only include the latest point releases
of the 1.7 and 1.8 streams.  Very early on, we also shipped a 1.6
version of Groovy, but we dropped support for that.

I would recommend using the most recent version of Groovy-Eclipse even
though all prior versions support incremental compilation.

2012/2/25 Bartosz <[hidden email]>:

> Thank you for your reply.
> 1. To be sure, don't earlier than 1.7.10 or 1.8.6 Groovy releases
> provide this feature?
> 2. Is Eclipse-Groovy plug-in version also important? If yes, since
> which release does it support incremental compiling?
>
> Regards,
> Bartek
>
> W dniu 24 lutego 2012 17:07 użytkownik Andrew Eisenberg
> <[hidden email]> napisał:
>> Incremental compilation is only available inside of Eclipse using
>> Groovy-Eclipse.  And it is available for 1.7.10 as well as 1.8.6.
>>
>> 2012/2/24 Bartosz <[hidden email]>:
>>> Suppose you have Groovy Project in Groovy-Eclipse plugin.
>>> As incremental compiling I mean that if you make a small change in a
>>> file, then only this file will be compiled, but not all project.
>>> This feature probably depends on both Groovy compiler and
>>> Groovy-Eclipse plugin version.
>>>
>>> Regards,
>>> Bartek

Re: Incremental compilation - compiler version

Edward Sumerfield

We run a service with no app container. Is there a way to make it recomplile itself dynamically. Presumably there is some special classloader  that monitors for source changes? Can you point me to some code that does this?

On Feb 25, 2012 3:57 PM, "Andrew Eisenberg" <[hidden email]> wrote:
All versions of Groovy-Eclipse since 2.0 support incremental
compilation of Groovy (but only when compiling inside of Eclipse).
So, yes, earlier versions of Groovy are supported in earlier versions
of Groovy-Eclipse. However, we only include the latest point releases
of the 1.7 and 1.8 streams.  Very early on, we also shipped a 1.6
version of Groovy, but we dropped support for that.

I would recommend using the most recent version of Groovy-Eclipse even
though all prior versions support incremental compilation.

2012/2/25 Bartosz <[hidden email]>:
> Thank you for your reply.
> 1. To be sure, don't earlier than 1.7.10 or 1.8.6 Groovy releases
> provide this feature?
> 2. Is Eclipse-Groovy plug-in version also important? If yes, since
> which release does it support incremental compiling?
>
> Regards,
> Bartek
>
> W dniu 24 lutego 2012 17:07 użytkownik Andrew Eisenberg
> <[hidden email]> napisał:
>> Incremental compilation is only available inside of Eclipse using
>> Groovy-Eclipse.  And it is available for 1.7.10 as well as 1.8.6.
>>
>> 2012/2/24 Bartosz <[hidden email]>:
>>> Suppose you have Groovy Project in Groovy-Eclipse plugin.
>>> As incremental compiling I mean that if you make a small change in a
>>> file, then only this file will be compiled, but not all project.
>>> This feature probably depends on both Groovy compiler and
>>> Groovy-Eclipse plugin version.
>>>
>>> Regards,
>>> Bartek

Re: Incremental compilation - compiler version

Andrew Eisenberg
I think you are misunderstanding what incremental compilation is.
This is a compile time thing.  You are looking for some kind of
dynamic reloading of class files.  tcServer ships with agent-based
reloading, but this only works within the server.  I know that there
is some effort to make agent based reloading available outside of
tcServer, but I don't know what stage it is at.

Ask this question on the STS forum and you should get an answer.
http://forum.springsource.org/forumdisplay.php?32-SpringSource-Tool-Suite