Help with adding Groovy to Programming-Idioms

Help with adding Groovy to Programming-Idioms

Valentin Deleplace
Hello folks
I admin https://programming-idioms.org/about and I'd like to add Groovy to the list of available languages. The website is a collection of "how to do X in language Y".
My friend Guillaume Laforge advised me to ask this mailing list for help! The goal is to encourage contribution of quality contents so it can actually be helpful to a beginner or seasoned groovyist visitor.

A quality contribution is a snippet that is correct, concise, having an explanation, a link to the official docs, and ideally a link to an online demo. For example at https://programming-idioms.org/idiom/96/check-string-prefix some implementations are high-quality, but not all of them.

Writing a correct snippet takes about 3mn, while writing a high-quality contribution easily takes over 15mn.
Before I open the gates by adding Groovy in the system, I'd like to know if some of you would be willing to contribute and curate some contents?

Thank you in advance
Valentin

Valentin
Happy path engineer
Google Cloud Platform
Twitter : @val_deleplace

Re: Help with adding Groovy to Programming-Idioms

sbglasius
Hi Valentin,

I think it sounds like a great idea, and I would like to participate and contribute to small snippets. I am a seasoned Groovy developer (I think) and the co-founder* of GR8Conf, the "All Things Groovy" conference.

Let me know how to proceed.

* Other founder is in fact Guillaume Laforge :-)

Best regards / Med venlig hilsen,
Søren Berg Glasius

Hedevej 1, Gl. Rye, 8680 Ry, Denmark
Mobile: +45 40 44 91 88, Skype: sbglasius

Google Cloud Platform
Twitter : @val_deleplace

Google Cloud Platform
Twitter : @val_deleplace

Re: Help with adding Groovy to Programming-Idioms

Valentin Deleplace
Awesome, thank you Søren and Paul.
I'll provide the details after I've deployed with Groovy in the list.

Is there a preferred website where it's possible to run arbitrary Groovy code, used by the community? I'm thinking of something like the go playground. Links to such runnable demos are very valuable in Programming-Idioms.
Cheers

Valentin
Happy path engineer
Google Cloud Platform
Twitter : @val_deleplace

On Fri, 9 Oct 2020 at 13:31, Paul King <[hidden email]> wrote:
+1

On Fri, Oct 9, 2020 at 9:22 PM Søren Berg Glasius <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi Valentin,

I think it sounds like a great idea, and I would like to participate and contribute to small snippets. I am a seasoned Groovy developer (I think) and the co-founder* of GR8Conf, the "All Things Groovy" conference.

Let me know how to proceed.

* Other founder is in fact Guillaume Laforge :-)

Best regards / Med venlig hilsen,
Søren Berg Glasius

Hedevej 1, Gl. Rye, 8680 Ry, Denmark
Mobile: <a href="tel:+45%2040%2044%2091%2088" value="+4540449188" target="_blank">+45 40 44 91 88, Skype: sbglasius

[...]

Google Cloud Platform
Twitter : @val_deleplace

Re: Help with adding Groovy to Programming-Idioms

You can use the Groovy Web Console:

On Fri, Oct 9, 2020 at 2:38 PM Valentin Deleplace <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Apache Groovy committer

Re: Help with adding Groovy to Programming-Idioms

Hi Valentin,

    with Groovy maybe one should consider doing a "Groovy" and "Groovy (Static)", since not all dynamic solutions a valid for the @CompilStatic case ?

Additional points:
  1. I might contribute, as time allows.
  2. Havig said that: Just go to https://mrhaki.blogspot.com/search/label/Groovy, copy & link back to Mr. Hubert A. Klein Ikkink's site and you should be all set ;-)
  3. I had to laugh so hard when I saw the Cobol version of what is "s.startsWith(prefix)" in pretty much any other language - thank god I am young enough to have missed that :-)

Some general site feedback:

  1. I found it confusing that there can be more than one tab per language (e.g. for C++), especially if one idiom is clearly inferior to the other
  2. If multiple versions were allowed, a voting system might be the way to go - or someone curating each language...
  3. I would have expected the landing page to not only display a search box, but also an (categorized) idiom list. I know the current web design meta is "as simple/barren as humanly possible", but the small link icon at the bottom that leads to a menu, where you can then get this infromation under "All idioms" or "Language coverage"  is easy to miss.
  4. Speaking of "categorized idiom list": To be able to quickly filter after idioms relating to e.g. "threads" or "strings" would imho generally be helpful
  5. On the other hand like the cheat sheet feature (though I find the name misleading), since oftentimes being able to just search/browse in a complete result set in the browser can imho be a good way to find what you are looking for (and maybe discover something you were not looking for*) :-)
  6. Being able to have two languages displayed side by side in the "cheat sheet" view would be great for comparing languages

Cheers,
mg

*In the category of "So close, but not Groovy" I stumbled upon the fact that it seems Kotlin still does not have a list/map literal syntax: https://programming-idioms.org/idiom/8/initialize-a-new-map-associative-array **; the Java-like solution looks to be the best of the 3 solutions offered, but it comes with a "use only if performance isn't critical" caveat...
(see also https://github.com/Kotlin/KEEP/pull/112 ; https://kotlinlang.org/docs/reference/constructing-collections.html)

**Is it possible to link directly to a specific language version of an idiom ?

Twitter : @val_deleplace

Re: Help with adding Groovy to Programming-Idioms

Valentin Deleplace
Hi MG, thank you so much for this thorough feedback, this is extremely valuable.
I'll answer your suggestions, keeping in mind that I have to deal with conflicting concerns and the end result will not be perfect in every aspect:

0. "Groovy"+"Groovy (Static)": though this would be the "exact thing" to do, I hope that most of the language is the same in the two cases.  If something works only in one of the two, please mention it in the comment box on the right. Ideally, add a new separate implementation+comment box to achieve the same goal in the other case.

a1. Amazing! Looking forward to the good stuff ahead.

a2. Thanks for the link, I didn't know it yet.

b1. It is by design that several implementations for the same language are accepted, and 2 or more can be regarded as idiomatic. The quality of the contents is uneven, sometimes a contribution is clearly inferior. This is a problem that we should ideally address by curating, provided we have the proper skills, and time to invest.

b2. A voting system is implemented but disabled for now. It is at odds with the current design in which you don't need to authenticate with an account. This favors immediate frictionless contribution which is cool, but also means there is no effective way to tell apart legit votes from abusive votes. The current tradeoff is to not open the pandora box of votes, and instead let any user "flag" the content if they consider it problematic for any reason. A snippet being mediocre is a valid reason for a user to flag the snippet.

b3. Fair enough! Let's track this in issue #128

b4. There is no categorization for now. You may open an issue if you feel it's missing. The current design favors the "search by keywords" navigation, and the "related idioms" link in the right bar. Also, each idiom has a list of "keywords" that make it more surfaceable by text search. I suspect that adding tags or categories would be redundant, though I can also understand that grouping is desirable.

b6. Indeed a side-by-side cheatsheet would be cool, please add your vote to the existing issue #101

7. Yes all implementations have their own ID and a canonical URL, e.g. impl 1449. The language list in the top box of an idiom (on the right of the idiom title) contains all its specific implementation links.

Valentin
Happy path engineer
Google Cloud Platform
Twitter : @val_deleplace

Twitter : @val_deleplace

Re: Help with adding Groovy to Programming-Idioms

Valentin Deleplace
Announcement: it is now possible to write Groovy contents in Programming-Idioms :)

The editing form looks like this:
image.png
- the yellow parts are mandatory
- the green parts are what makes a great implementation, and it does take more effort to write. The demo can be e.g. a link to runnable code in the Groovy web console.
- if the code was copied from another source, please do paste the source URL in "Original attribution". The source needs to be compatible with CC-BY-SA.
- the Imports box is needed for any import that is not implicit. Write the full lines, not just the package names. If there are several ways to import, then choose the one you feel more idiomatic.
- if you wrote the contribution yourself, then it becomes CC-BY-SA and other folks on the internet can reuse your contribution for their own projects.

Thanks again for this warm welcome in the Groovy community :)

Valentin
Twitter : @val_deleplace

Twitter : @val_deleplace

Re: Help with adding Groovy to Programming-Idioms

Hi Valentin,

glad to give some feedback, especially if it is so well received - evidently you have already put a lot of thought into this and your decisions are conscious ones, which is refreshing, especially when it comes to web & usability design :-)
I see your points, especially on the voting system, and have added my vote for side-by-side cheatsheet support.

Cheers,
mg