Groovy using Graal

since Graal is now available in JDK9 by default I was wondering if we
should go into a path for deep integration with Graal if we can take
advantage of it.

In the past I was quite partial to this because of the licensing of
Graal itself. I know from before it was GPL with or without classpath
extension. But even with classpath extension I was not feeling well
about depending on it and the trouble users would have go through to
setup an optional Graal part.

Well, now since it is part of JDK9 those troubles are of the past. Now
everyone has a ready to use Graal afaik. And we do no longer have to
distribute it. That means we can consider really depending on it, like
we depend on the Java platform itself.

How do others think?

Re: Groovy using Graal

Daniel Sun
Hi Jochen,

      Graal[1] looks amazing, +1 for leveraging its power.

[1]
http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/oracle-labs/program-languages/overview/index.html

Re: Groovy using Graal

Paolo Di Tommaso
I've seen some presentations and Graal looks impressive. It seems Oracle is investing a lot on it, already having other languages running on it.

IMO Groovy would be benefit a lot being able to run on Graal.

On Tue, Sep 5, 2017 at 2:44 AM, Paul King <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Russel Winder-3
On Tue, 2017-09-05 at 10:44 +1000, Paul King wrote:
> Sounds like it might be useful for Groovy 4+.

If the plan is for Groovy 3 to depend on JDK8 and Groovy 4 to depend on
JDK9 then yes. However is there a need to be quite so conservative?
Groovy has so often had "hacks" so a version of Groovy could make use
of more recent JDKs and yet still work on "long past end of life"
versions of JDK. In this vein Groovy 3 could have a JDK9 variant using
Graal. This option would, I feel, be a good marketing line for Groovy.
"Graal Groovy now not later."

--
Russel.

Re: Groovy using Graal

Code name: Graavy :-D

On Tue, Sep 5, 2017 at 10:46 AM, Russel Winder <[hidden email]> wrote:
On Tue, 2017-09-05 at 10:44 +1000, Paul King wrote:
> Sounds like it might be useful for Groovy 4+.

If the plan is for Groovy 3 to depend on JDK8 and Groovy 4 to depend on
JDK9 then yes. However is there a need to be quite so conservative?
Groovy has so often had "hacks" so a version of Groovy could make use
of more recent JDKs and yet still work on "long past end of life"
versions of JDK. In this vein Groovy 3 could have a JDK9 variant using
Graal. This option would, I feel, be a good marketing line for Groovy.
"Graal Groovy now not later."

--
Russel.
Dr Russel Winder      t: <a href="tel:%2B44%2020%207585%202200" value="+442075852200">+44 20 7585 2200   voip: [hidden email]
41 Buckmaster Road    m: <a href="tel:%2B44%207770%20465%20077" value="+447770465077">+44 7770 465 077   xmpp: [hidden email]
London SW11 1EN, UK   w: www.russel.org.uk  skype: russel_winder