Groovy repo, Gradle, Eclipse, IntelliJ IDEA

Groovy repo, Gradle, Eclipse, IntelliJ IDEA

Russel Winder-3
I just noticed that in updating dependencies, .classpath has to be
updfated manually. Given Groovy is now a Gradle build I would have
thought all the IDE specific files could be removed from the repository
and people generate their own using Gradle — assuming we add the eclipse
and idea plugins.
--
Russel.

Re: Groovy repo, Gradle, Eclipse, IntelliJ IDEA

aalmiray
+1 I'm up for removing all IDE specific files from SCM

Re: Groovy repo, Gradle, Eclipse, IntelliJ IDEA

André Steingreß
+1 me too, especially if they aren't kept up-to-date.

Cheers, André

On Mon, May 27, 2013 at 2:27 PM, aalmiray <[hidden email]> wrote:
+1 I'm up for removing all IDE specific files from SCM

==============================

Re: Groovy repo, Gradle, Eclipse, IntelliJ IDEA

The "idea" build should work properly, however no one took the time to
have a proper Eclipse build...

Le 27/05/2013 11:13, Russel Winder a écrit :
> I just noticed that in updating dependencies, .classpath has to be
> updfated manually. Given Groovy is now a Gradle build I would have
> thought all the IDE specific files could be removed from the repository
> and people generate their own using Gradle — assuming we add the eclipse
> and idea plugins.

SpringSource - Pivotal
http://www.springsource.org/
http://www.gopivotal.com/
http://twitter.com/CedricChampeau

On Mon, 2013-05-27 at 14:31 +0200, Cédric Champeau wrote:
> The "idea" build should work properly, however no one took the time to
> have a proper Eclipse build...

What goes wrong with it if generated from the Gradle build
specification?

--
Russel.

Re: Groovy repo, Gradle, Eclipse, IntelliJ IDEA

pschumacher
Am 27.05.2013 18:09, schrieb Russel Winder:
> On Mon, 2013-05-27 at 14:31 +0200, Cédric Champeau wrote:
>> The "idea" build should work properly, however no one took the time to
>> have a proper Eclipse build...
> What goes wrong with it if generated from the Gradle build
> specification?

"A cycle was detected in the build path of project 'groovy'. The cycle
consists of projects {groovy, groovy-ant, groovy-groovydoc,
groovy-templates, groovy-test, groovy-all-tests, groovy-bsf,
groovy-console, groovy-swing, groovy-docgenerator, groovy-groovysh,
groovy-jmx, groovy-json, groovy-jsr223, groovy-servlet, groovy-sql,
groovy-testng}

A cycle was detected in the build path of project 'groovy-all-tests'.
The cycle consists of projects {groovy, groovy-ant, groovy-groovydoc,
groovy-templates, groovy-test, groovy-all-tests, groovy-bsf,
groovy-console, groovy-swing, groovy-docgenerator, groovy-groovysh,
groovy-jmx, groovy-json, groovy-jsr223, groovy-servlet, groovy-sql,
groovy-testng} "

and many more errors

But with the checked in files it also does not work, so we might as well
delete them.

-Pascal

On Mon, 2013-05-27 at 19:36 +0200, Pascal Schumacher wrote:

> Am 27.05.2013 18:09, schrieb Russel Winder:
> > On Mon, 2013-05-27 at 14:31 +0200, Cédric Champeau wrote:
> >> The "idea" build should work properly, however no one took the time to
> >> have a proper Eclipse build...
> > What goes wrong with it if generated from the Gradle build
> > specification?
>
> "A cycle was detected in the build path of project 'groovy'. The cycle
> consists of projects {groovy, groovy-ant, groovy-groovydoc,
> groovy-templates, groovy-test, groovy-all-tests, groovy-bsf,
> groovy-console, groovy-swing, groovy-docgenerator, groovy-groovysh,
> groovy-jmx, groovy-json, groovy-jsr223, groovy-servlet, groovy-sql,
> groovy-testng}
>
> A cycle was detected in the build path of project 'groovy-all-tests'.
> The cycle consists of projects {groovy, groovy-ant, groovy-groovydoc,
> groovy-templates, groovy-test, groovy-all-tests, groovy-bsf,
> groovy-console, groovy-swing, groovy-docgenerator, groovy-groovysh,
> groovy-jmx, groovy-json, groovy-jsr223, groovy-servlet, groovy-sql,
> groovy-testng} "
>
> and many more errors
Hummm… If the Gradle build itself works and doesn't have cycles, and the
IntelliJ IDEA generated project works and doesn't have cycles, then it
would appear the problem is in the Gradle Eclipse plugin and not the
Groovy build. Or perhaps I am missing something?

> But with the checked in files it also does not work, so we might as well
> delete them.

Works for me, forces Eclipse users to get things fixed :-)

Am 27.05.2013 19:58, schrieb Russel Winder:
> Hummm… If the Gradle build itself works and doesn't have cycles, and the
> IntelliJ IDEA generated project works and doesn't have cycles, then it
> would appear the problem is in the Gradle Eclipse plugin and not the
> Groovy build. Or perhaps I am missing something?
Well there is a 200 line gradle skript expecially for idea:
https://github.com/groovy/groovy-core/blob/master/gradle/idea.gradle

This seems to suggest that Groovys use of Gradle is the root of the
problem not the Gradle Eclipse plugin.

Re: Groovy repo, Gradle, Eclipse, IntelliJ IDEA

Yes, it's not a problem with the Gradle Eclipse (or Idea) build, but
rather a problem on how Groovy is built. As you know, some Groovy code
is written itself in Groovy, so you have to build a bootstrap compiler
first, then use it to compile Groovy files which will allow a complete
compiler build. Then add the fact that most of the unit tests are
written in Groovy and depend on GroovyTestCase, which in turn has some
dependencies on groovy-test, for example, and you might have an idea why
Eclipse finds cyclic dependencies (there are cyclic dependencies, but on
on the same scope (compile/test)).

So, yes, the Eclipse build will need the same kind of "hacks" than the
idea build.