Groovy needs better Maven support

Peter Niederwieser
Over the past year, we have had numerous issues with GMaven in our project. So far, we always found some workaround (often in the code). We have filed several issues but are still waiting for a new GMaven release.

Today I tried to update our project from Groovy 1.7.2 to 1.7.3. As a result, GMaven's joint compilation broke down completely. This means we are stuck with 1.7.2. It's likely that we won't be able to upgrade to 1.7.4 either.

Groovy needs reliable Maven support, but GMaven clearly fails to provide it. How can we solve this dilemma?

Cheers,
Peter

Re: Groovy needs better Maven support

Jochen Theodorou
Peter Niederwieser schrieb:
> Over the past year, we have had numerous issues with GMaven in our project.
> So far, we always found some workaround (often in the code). We have filed
> several issues but are still waiting for a new GMaven release.
>
> Today I tried to update our project from Groovy 1.7.2 to 1.7.3. As a result,
> GMaven's joint compilation broke down completely. This means we are stuck
> with 1.7.2. It's likely that we won't be able to upgrade to 1.7.4 either.

what blocks you from using 1.7.4?

> Groovy needs reliable Maven support, but GMaven clearly fails to provide it.
> How can we solve this dilemma?

by contributing to GMaven of course. And by making the needed changes to
Groovy, in the best case by providing patches through the same person.

Jochen "blackdrag" Theodorou
The Groovy Project Tech Lead (http://groovy.codehaus.org)
http://blackdragsview.blogspot.com/

Re: Groovy needs better Maven support

Peter Niederwieser
> what blocks you from using 1.7.4?
GMaven joint compilation breaks horribly when upgrading from Groovy 1.7.2 to 1.7.3. How do you estimate the chances that it will work with 1.7.4 then?

> by contributing to GMaven of course.
I have contributed to GMaven, and I'm active in answering GMaven-related questions on the Groovy list. But without an active project owner/team, and without more frequent releases, this won't help. Basically it's always the same: a new Groovy version is released, and it doesn't work with GMaven. Fail.

Cheers,
Peter

Re: Groovy needs better Maven support

Guillaume Laforge-4
On Thu, Jul 22, 2010 at 16:31, Peter Niederwieser <[hidden email]> wrote:

>> what blocks you from using 1.7.4?
> GMaven joint compilation breaks horribly when upgrading from Groovy 1.7.2 to
> 1.7.3. How do you estimate the chances that it will work with 1.7.4 then?

Perhaps the GMaven project should have a kind of joint build like
Grails has, which builds against Groovy on a regular basis.
But even then, GMaven could build, but fail to build your project :-(

>> by contributing to GMaven of course.
> I have contributed to GMaven, and I'm active in answering GMaven-related
> questions on the Groovy list. But without an active project owner/team, and
> without more frequent releases, this won't help. Basically it's always the
> same: a new Groovy version is released, and it doesn't work with GMaven.
> Fail.

We indeed need someone with a genuine interest, and extensive
knowledge of Maven and GMaven, to take the lead on the project.
But it's just saying the obvious.

(btw it's more a topic for the dev list)

http://www.springsource.com/g2one

Re: Groovy needs better Maven support

Peter Niederwieser schrieb:
>> what blocks you from using 1.7.4?
> GMaven joint compilation breaks horribly when upgrading from Groovy 1.7.2 to
> 1.7.3. How do you estimate the chances that it will work with 1.7.4 then?

that was because we removed the star imports, or not? If yes, then it
would be super from you to test the upcoming 1.7.4, because that should
have been fixed again

>> by contributing to GMaven of course.
> I have contributed to GMaven, and I'm active in answering GMaven-related
> questions on the Groovy list. But without an active project owner/team, and
> without more frequent releases, this won't help. Basically it's always the
> same: a new Groovy version is released, and it doesn't work with GMaven.
> Fail.

more active on the GMaven you mean I guess. I am pretty sure the GMaven
owner spends as much time as he can for this project. I can only
encourage you to take the GMaven project over, or to become there
someone able to make releases. I am also not opposed to move GMaven to
Groovy, but that does not change the fact that someone has to look after it.

Jochen "blackdrag" Theodorou
The Groovy Project Tech Lead (http://groovy.codehaus.org)
http://blackdragsview.blogspot.com/

Re: Groovy needs better Maven support

Peter Niederwieser
Jochen Theodorou wrote
that was because we removed the star imports, or not? If yes, then it
would be super from you to test the upcoming 1.7.4, because that should
have been fixed again
This gives me some hope. I'll try and let you know.

Cheers,
Peter

Re: Groovy needs better Maven support

Jochen Theodorou
Peter Niederwieser schrieb:

> Jochen Theodorou wrote:
>> that was because we removed the star imports, or not? If yes, then it
>> would be super from you to test the upcoming 1.7.4, because that should
>> have been fixed again
>
> This gives me some hope. I'll try and let you know.

the issue occurred because gmaven uses the Groovy stub generator, so
this was a general joint compilation issue. Should this not be fixed
yet, then please make a bug report to us and we try to fix it asap...
well will have to wait for 1.7.5 then

Jochen "blackdrag" Theodorou
The Groovy Project Tech Lead (http://groovy.codehaus.org)
http://blackdragsview.blogspot.com/

Re: Groovy needs better Maven support

Peter Niederwieser
Jochen Theodorou wrote
the issue occurred because gmaven uses the Groovy stub generator, so
this was a general joint compilation issue.
I'm aware that GMaven uses Groovy's stub generator, but nevertheless there are several joint compilation issues that are GMaven-only. Maybe this time it's different.

Cheers,
Peter

Re: Groovy needs better Maven support

Jon Brisbin-3
On Jul 22, 2010, at 8:49 AM, Peter Niederwieser wrote:

> Groovy needs reliable Maven support, but GMaven clearly fails to provide it.

I agree 100%! I'm glad to know I'm not alone

> How can we solve this dilemma?

The stock response is always going to be something like: "find what you want to fix, fix it, then send us a patch." Most of the time I want to say: "If I knew how to fix it, I would have done it already." Or: "I don't get paid to patch build tools, I get paid to write applications for end users." It's a side-effect of OpenSource being supported on a volunteer basis. It can be quite frustrating. :/

I'm really surprised there isn't more focus on Maven and Groovy. We use both (but not Grails for reasons I've already blogged about) and I've had to fall back to using an Ant task and the Groovyc compiler. Uggh. It's not very configurable, either. I had to contribute a patch just to configure the file extension of groovy scripts in your project (we don't use Groovy as "code" so much as we use it as configuration and as an extension mechanism). Our projects have a 50/50 mix of Java and Groovy.

If SpringSource had someone devote their time to making Groovy more Maven-friendly, the community would appreciate it. Barring that, someone with free time and knowledge of Maven integration will have to step up and take ownership of the project. I don't qualify on either point, so I can't volunteer, unfortunately.

Jon Brisbin
Portal Webmaster
NPC International, Inc.

> Cheers,
> Peter

Re: Groovy needs better Maven support

John Hartnup

On 22 July 2010 16:21, Jon Brisbin <[hidden email]> wrote:

The stock response is always going to be something like: "find what you want to fix, fix it, then send us a patch." Most of the time I want to say: "If I knew how to fix it, I would have done it already." Or: "I don't get paid to patch build tools, I get paid to write applications for end users." It's a side-effect of OpenSource being supported on a volunteer basis. It can be quite frustrating. :/

You could always pay for something commercial that's better -- that's if you can find such a thing.

The fact is that nobody gets paid to patch this particular build tool, and you get it for free. The choices are:
 - Fix it yourself
 - Pay someone to fix it
 - Wait for someone else to fix it (and be grateful)
 - Use something else

There might be someone packaging and supporting commercial GMaven/Groovy solutions, in which case you could demand fixes from them.

I don't mean to be rude, and Peter and you are both right to report both the specific issue, and the fact that there seems to be a systematic fault in the way GMaven and Groovy releases are coordinated. Or possibly a false expectation that should be addressed, that GMaven be expected to continue working with the very latest Groovy release every time. One solution might be a clear statement from GMaven of which versions of Groovy are supported by a specific GMaven release: don't upgrade Groovy until you've upgraded GMaven; if the latest GMaven doesn't support the latest Groovy, wait.

--
"There is no way to peace; peace is the way"
1234