Groovy ant task - too chatty?

Jon Skeet
I've been using the Groovy Ant task quite extensively recently - it
really helps for those times when Ant just doesn't *quite* give you
everything you want - but my log files are full of

[groovy] statements executed successfully

Is there any existing way of suppressing this, preferably without
suppressing the rest of the output of the script?
If not, does anyone object to me adding it and submitting a patch? :)

Jon

Clearswift monitors, controls and protects all its messaging traffic in compliance with its corporate email policy using Clearswift products.
Find out more about Clearswift, its solutions and services at http://www.clearswift.com

This communication is confidential and may contain privileged information intended solely for the named addressee(s). It may not be used or disclosed except for the purpose for which it has been sent. If you are not the intended recipient, you must not copy, distribute or take any action in reliance on it. Unless expressly stated, opinions in this message are those of the individual sender and not of Clearswift. If you have received this communication in error, please notify Clearswift by emailing [hidden email] quoting the sender and delete the message and any attached documents. Clearswift accepts no liability or responsibility for any onward transmission or use of emails and attachments having left the Clearswift domain.

This footnote confirms that this email message has been swept by MIMEsweeper for Content Security threats, including computer viruses.

RE: Groovy ant task - too chatty?

Dierk König
yes, please open an issue an attach your patch to it.

That message should not be written via println but
through the Ant logger with info level.

cheers
Mittie

Righto. The actual patching shouldn't take long - but I'll have to get a
working dev environment first, which could take longer.

Oh, and then find the Groovy task - I've just been browsing in CVS and
haven't found it. I'm sure it'll be easier when it's all checked out
locally though...

> That message should not be written via println but through
> the Ant logger with info level.

Yup.

[...]

Jeremy Rayner
It's at the end of Groovy.execute()
http://cvs.codehaus.org/viewrep/groovy/groovy/groovy-core/src/main/org/codehaus/groovy/ant/Groovy.java?r=1.9#l301

It is using Task.log() at moment...

jez

Groovy JSR Co-Spec Lead
http://javanicus.com/blog2

RE: Groovy ant task - too chatty?

Dierk König
should prolly log like the the method start:
log("...", Project.MSG_VERBOSE);

That would certainly fix it in the easiest possible way from my point of
view. Would other users dislike it suddenly going silent though?

[...]

I'd say that's ok.

You can run with ant -verbose to still see the message if you want.

If no objections comes from the list or as issue comments over the next
days,
then we'll put it in.

Mittie

Goodo. Some projects are a bit extreme about backward compatibility. I
guess this is the advantage of not having released a "final" version yet
:)

> If no objections comes from the list or as issue comments
> over the next days, then we'll put it in.

Right. DO you still want me to open an issue and submit a patch?

[...]

Yes, please open the issue. The patch is not needed, really ;-)

Thanks for posting.

Mittie