Groovy Champions proposal feedback

paulk_asert

Hi everyone,

A few of us have had various discussions (in fact over many years)
about having a recognition scheme similar to Java Champions,
perhaps called "Groovy Champions" or "Apache Groovy Champions"
or something else entirely if we think of a better name.

I think the idea has always been to recognize contribution within the
whole Groovy ecosystem not just the Apache Groovy project. The many
tens of projects within the ecosystem are often where many ideas come
from for the project's future evolution and also where future contributors
may arise. And in any case, Groovy has always been about making
coding productive and fun and we should celebrate that widely!

There are various questions to ask like should such a scheme
be formally coordinated by the project/by Apache or should it be run as a
community-driven unsanctioned activity and if so what guidelines should
be in place. Also, there are many details like how will the scheme operate?
How are new members elected? Is it a lifetime recognition or is there
an "emeritus" status? And so forth. Java Champions vote themselves
on new champions and the recognition has a lifetime status for instance.
if we progress this idea, we'd need to make that all clear but that isn't
the purpose of this email - we need to first decide if we like the idea.

Even if we like the idea, there are still some hurdles to step through.
We've already sought some informal feedback from other parts of
Apache and other projects within the Groovy Ecosystem and we'll
likely need further discussions. We want something that embraces
the whole community but fits in with Apache project governance
around trademarks/branding.

So, the first question is: are we as a project in favor of such a scheme?

Re: Groovy Champions proposal feedback

ysb33r

That's a +1 from me for the concep.

--
Schalk W. Cronjé
Twitter / Ello / Toeter : @ysb33r

Re: Groovy Champions proposal feedback

sbglasius
I'm definitely +1

It is always important to recognize and encourage the ones making a difference to the community.

--
Schalk W. Cronjé
Twitter / Ello / Toeter : @ysb33r

--
Best regards / Med venlig hilsen,
Søren Berg Glasius

Hedevej 1, Gl. Rye, 8680 Ry, Denmark
Mobile: +45 40 44 91 88, Skype: sbglasius

Re: Groovy Champions proposal feedback

Paolo Di Tommaso
It sound a nice idea also to promote the visibility of the groovy community.

--
Schalk W. Cronjé
Twitter / Ello / Toeter : @ysb33r

--
Best regards / Med venlig hilsen,
Søren Berg Glasius

Hedevej 1, Gl. Rye, 8680 Ry, Denmark
Mobile: <a href="tel:+45%2040%2044%2091%2088" value="+4540449188" target="_blank">+45 40 44 91 88, Skype: sbglasius

Re: Groovy Champions proposal feedback

Dierk König
I’m all for honoring contributions to the language/ecosystem/community.
Given our logo, „Groovy Star“ comes to mind :-)

Cheers
Dierk

sent from:mobile

--
Schalk W. Cronjé
Twitter / Ello / Toeter : @ysb33r

--
Best regards / Med venlig hilsen,
Søren Berg Glasius

Hedevej 1, Gl. Rye, 8680 Ry, Denmark
Mobile: <a href="tel:+45%2040%2044%2091%2088" value="+4540449188" target="_blank">+45 40 44 91 88, Skype: sbglasius

Re: Groovy Champions proposal feedback

paulk_asert
I don't mind "Groovy Stars" as a name!

Of course it begs the question "Star trek" or "Star Wars" - the long journey
of programming language design vs the language wars! :-)

--
Schalk W. Cronjé
Twitter / Ello / Toeter : @ysb33r

--
Best regards / Med venlig hilsen,
Søren Berg Glasius

Hedevej 1, Gl. Rye, 8680 Ry, Denmark
Mobile: <a href="tel:+45%2040%2044%2091%2088" value="+4540449188" target="_blank">+45 40 44 91 88, Skype: sbglasius

Re: Groovy Champions proposal feedback

Jennifer Strater
+1 for the proposal and +1 for "Groovy Stars"

--
Schalk W. Cronjé
Twitter / Ello / Toeter : @ysb33r

--
Best regards / Med venlig hilsen,
Søren Berg Glasius

Hedevej 1, Gl. Rye, 8680 Ry, Denmark
Mobile: <a href="tel:+45%2040%2044%2091%2088" value="+4540449188" target="_blank">+45 40 44 91 88, Skype: sbglasius

Re: Groovy Champions proposal feedback

It's funny, I think we didn't think about "stars" in our previous conversations, and I must say I quite like it, and it makes sense considering our logo :-D

--
Schalk W. Cronjé
Twitter / Ello / Toeter : @ysb33r

--
Best regards / Med venlig hilsen,
Søren Berg Glasius

Hedevej 1, Gl. Rye, 8680 Ry, Denmark
Mobile: <a href="tel:+45%2040%2044%2091%2088" value="+4540449188" target="_blank">+45 40 44 91 88, Skype: sbglasius

Re: Groovy Champions proposal feedback

sbglasius
+1 on the name!

I think it's cool to differentiate the Groovy award from other awards like Java Rock-stars and Java Champions, Grails Rock-stars, and more!

--
Schalk W. Cronjé
Twitter / Ello / Toeter : @ysb33r

--
Best regards / Med venlig hilsen,
Søren Berg Glasius

Hedevej 1, Gl. Rye, 8680 Ry, Denmark
Mobile: <a href="tel:+45%2040%2044%2091%2088" value="+4540449188" target="_blank">+45 40 44 91 88, Skype: sbglasius

Best regards / Med venlig hilsen,
Søren Berg Glasius

Hedevej 1, Gl. Rye, 8680 Ry, Denmark
Mobile: +45 40 44 91 88, Skype: sbglasius

Re: Groovy Champions proposal feedback

MG
-1 on "Groovy Stars" / +1 on the overall concept.

Stars makes me think of (Super) Mario, and apart from that it is sounds so over the top. I don't think many people outside of the Groovy community know the logo so well, that they realize it has an (irregular) star in the background (I myself always perceived the "star" more like a triangle approximation of a human figure).

I would prefer a more serious name (to avoid the toy/script language association), and for a language that is so close to Java, either the initally suggested "Groovy Champion" seems a good choice, or maybe something even more low key, like "Groovy Major Contributor 2018"...

Or for something with a bit more pep "Groovy Vanguard Developer / Contributor 2018" or "Groovy Crack 2018".

Contrary to Java Champions, I would suggest tying it to a specific year: That way people who no longer are Groovy contributors do not carry the title forever (the Russian guy who is now working on Kotlin comes to mind), and on the other hand some people could get the title several years in a row, as a sign of continued gratitude.

Cheers,
mg

--
Schalk W. Cronjé
Twitter / Ello / Toeter : @ysb33r

--
Best regards / Med venlig hilsen,
Søren Berg Glasius

Hedevej 1, Gl. Rye, 8680 Ry, Denmark
Mobile: <a href="tel:+45%2040%2044%2091%2088" value="+4540449188" target="_blank" moz-do-not-send="true">+45 40 44 91 88, Skype: sbglasius