Groovy 1.7.7 and 1.8-beta-4 released!

The Groovy development team is pleased to announce the joint release of Groovy 1.7.7 and Groovy 1.8-beta-4, the latest releases of the popular dynamic language for the JVM.

Groovy 1.7.7 is a maintenance release of our official stable 1.7.x branch, whereas 1.8-beta-4 is the last beta version before the release candidates of the upcoming major version of Groovy.

The key highlights of the latest beta are:

  • our oncoing performance improvement work on primitive integer calculations,
  • the bundling of GPars in the libraries of the binary distribution,
  • and built-in JSON support with a JSON slurper and a JSON parser

If you wish to learn more about the JSON support, you can have a look at the JSON Groovy Extension Proposal and the unit tests for the slurper and the builder.

Here's an example for the JSON slurper, fetching tweets from Twitter about the #groovy hashtag:

import groovy.json.*

def slurper = new JsonSlurper()
def url = "http://search.twitter.com/search.json?q=%23groovy"
def content = new URL(url).getText("UTF-8")
def root = slurper.parseText(content)
root.results.each { println it.text }

And another example showing how you can create JSON payloads with the JSON builder:

import groovy.json.*

def json = new JsonBuilder()

json.response {
    status "ok"
    userTier "free"
    total 2413
    startIndex 1
    pageSize 10
    currentPage 1
    pages 242
    orderBy "newest"
    results([
        id: "world/video/2011/jan/19/tunisia-demonstrators-democracy-video",
        sectionId: "world",
        sectionName: "World news",
        webPublicationDate: "2011-01-19T15:12:46Z",
        webTitle: "Tunisian demonstrators demand new democracy - video",
        webUrl: "http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/video/2011/jan/19/tunisia-demonstrators-democracy-video",
        apiUrl: "http://content.guardianapis.com/world/video/2011/jan/19/tunisia-demonstrators-democracy-video"
    ],
    [
        id: "world/gallery/2011/jan/19/tunisia-protests-pictures",
        sectionId: "world",
        sectionName: "World news",
        webPublicationDate: "2011-01-19T15:01:09Z",
        webTitle: "Tunisia protests continue - in pictures ",
        webUrl: "http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/gallery/2011/jan/19/tunisia-protests-pictures",
        apiUrl: "http://content.guardianapis.com/world/gallery/2011/jan/19/tunisia-protests-pictures"
    ])
}

You can download and read about the JIRA release notes here:

Groovy 1.7.7

Groovy 1.8-beta-4

You may wish to have a look at the recent features introduced in previous betas by reading the following release notes:

  • Groovy 1.7.6 and 1.8-beta-3 : new AST transformations, closure memoization and trampolining, etc.
  • Groovy 1.7.5 and 1.8-beta-2 : closure composition, new Domain-Specific Language syntax, etc.
  • Groovy 1.7.4 and 1.8-beta-1 : new AST transformations, annotation closure parameters, etc.
    We'd be glad of you could test the Groovy 1.8 beta to give us as much feedback as you can on this release, before it becomes the new official stable branch of Groovy. Thanks a lot for your help making the 1.8 release a success and for your invaluable feedback. We'd love that everybody try the latest beta in their respective applications, so we can find any regression or potential issue that may arise.

Thanks a lot to all involved in this pair of releases, and for the support of our friendly community!

Stéphane MALDINI

Re: Groovy 1.7.7 and 1.8-beta-4 released!

Alex Tkachman
Did last minute compilation performance improvements and our with
Jochen work on call site class generation came in to this release?

On Fri, Feb 4, 2011 at 6:41 PM, Guillaume Laforge <[hidden email]> wrote:

> [...]
> Language syntax, etc.
> Groovy 1.7.4 and 1.8-beta-1 : new AST transformations, annotation closure
> parameters, etc.
> We'd be glad of you could test the Groovy 1.8 beta to give us as much
> feedback as you can on this release, before it becomes the new official
> stable branch of Groovy. Thanks a lot for your help making the 1.8 release a
> success and for your invaluable feedback. We'd love that everybody try the
> latest beta in their respective applications, so we can find any regression
> or potential issue that may arise.
>
> Thanks a lot to all involved in this pair of releases, and for the support
> of our friendly community!
>
> --
> Guillaume Laforge
> Groovy Project Manager

Re: Groovy 1.7.7 and 1.8-beta-4 released!

Guillaume Laforge-4
Yes.
You certainly saw the commits on the groovy-scm list.

http://www.springsource.com/g2one

Re: Groovy 1.7.7 and 1.8-beta-4 released!

Alex Tkachman
Oh, I don't subscribed in groovy-scm :( Lazy me.

I think we can feel good then to annonce noticeable compilation
speedup in this releases.

On Fri, Feb 4, 2011 at 7:12 PM, Guillaume Laforge <[hidden email]> wrote:

> [...]
>> > feedback as you can on this release, before it becomes the new official
>> > stable branch of Groovy. Thanks a lot for your help making the 1.8
>> > release a
>> > success and for your invaluable feedback. We'd love that everybody try
>> > the
>> > latest beta in their respective applications, so we can find any
>> > regression
>> > or potential issue that may arise.
>> >
>> > Thanks a lot to all involved in this pair of releases, and for the
>> > support
>> > of our friendly community!
>> >
>> > --
>> > Guillaume Laforge
>> > Groovy Project Manager

> Guillaume Laforge
> Groovy Project Manager
> Head of Groovy Development at SpringSource
> http://www.springsource.com/g2one

Re: Groovy 1.7.7 and 1.8-beta-4 released!

Brad Whitaker
I copied the first example into groovyConsole with release 1.7.10 but I get a compilation error "unable to resolve class JsonSlurper". Is there something more that I must do to get this example to work?

Re: Groovy 1.7.7 and 1.8-beta-4 released!

Wilson MacGyver
I believe JsonSluper is a new feature for 1.8 series of groovy.

On Mon, Apr 18, 2011 at 1:15 AM, Brad Whitaker <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I copied the first example into groovyConsole with release 1.7.10 but I get a
> compilation error "unable to resolve class JsonSlurper". Is there something
> more that I must do to get this example to work?

Re: Groovy 1.7.7 and 1.8-beta-4 released!

Brad Whitaker
Oops. My mistake -- I didn't read the release note closely enough. I made the mistake of thinking that the feature was also added to 1.7.7. Thanks for the correction.