GraalVM/Truffle ?

MG
Since GraalVM (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GraalVM) was mentioned here
recently: Do we have any statement on plans of Groovy with regards to
GraalVM, including Truffle ? It might be good to have an official
statement here on the main Groovy page and on Wikipedia
(https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apache_Groovy), even if it e.g., in
essence, just states "Groovy runs/will run fine on GraalVM", "The
Truffle license (GPL 2.0 w CP exception) is not compatible with Apache
Groovy" or "Truffle makes no sense for Groovy (at this point)"...

Cheers,
mg

Re: GraalVM/Truffle ?

paulk_asert
Running numerous scripts on GraalVM worked fine for me and was only slightly slower in my tests than the standard Oracle JVM. I haven't done extensive testing though.

As for actually leveraging any special GraalVM capabilities, I am not aware of any completed work/concrete plans to date.

As for licensing, it may or may not be an issue. We'll have to see how things progress before we can say.

Cheers, Paul.

On Thu, Jun 14, 2018 at 1:33 AM MG <[hidden email]> wrote:
Since GraalVM (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GraalVM) was mentioned here
recently: Do we have any statement on plans of Groovy with regards to
GraalVM, including Truffle ? It might be good to have an official
statement here on the main Groovy page and on Wikipedia
(https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apache_Groovy), even if it e.g., in
essence, just states "Groovy runs/will run fine on GraalVM", "The
Truffle license (GPL 2.0 w CP exception) is not compatible with Apache
Groovy" or "Truffle makes no sense for Groovy (at this point)"...

Cheers,
mg

RE: GraalVM/Truffle ?

Winnebeck, Jason

It’s interesting that it is slower, because I thought the point of it was to improve performance, especially regarding escape analysis and invokedynamic instruction? They’ve been publishing some very interesting benchmarks. The AOT mode is very interesting, too, especially if someone wanted to make some CLI commands in Groovy, although the resulting executables are still very large if you just wanted to make some shell “scripts” in Groovy. Though, I would suspect its AOT mode is not very compatible with Groovy due to extensive use of reflection.

Jason