Geb/Spock - functional web testing.

ld@ldaley.com
Hi all,

I have started a new project that combines the following libraries/frameworks to facilitate very Groovy functional web testing.…

* HtmlUnit - http://htmlunit.sourceforge.net/
* Hue/Doj - http://code.google.com/p/hue/wiki/Doj
* Spock - http://spockframework.org/

You can see an example that works today at:

http://github.com/alkemist/geb-spock

If you would like to help on the project, please go ahead and fork it on GitHub or get in touch. The codebase is almost ready for an initial release, but documentation and good examples are needed.

Cheers,

LD.

Re: Geb/Spock - functional web testing.

Ian Homer
Hi Luke,

Thanks for the heads up, looks interesting and will definitely keep an eye on it.  How do you think this compares with Canoo webtest (http://webtest.canoo.com/webtest/manual/WebTestHome.html) - does it go beyond the Canoo framework or do things in a different way?

Ian

On 13 Jul 2010, at 13:52, Luke Daley wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I have started a new project that combines the following libraries/frameworks to facilitate very Groovy functional web testing.…
>
> * HtmlUnit - http://htmlunit.sourceforge.net/
> * Hue/Doj - http://code.google.com/p/hue/wiki/Doj
> * Spock - http://spockframework.org/
>
> You can see an example that works today at:
>
> http://github.com/alkemist/geb-spock
>

> If you would like to help on the project, please go ahead and fork it on GitHub or get in touch. The codebase is almost ready for an initial release, but documentation and good examples are needed.
>
> Cheers,
>
> LD.

Re: Geb/Spock - functional web testing.

ld@ldaley.com
Hi Ian,

The same browser technology is used underneath in HtmlUnit, however the API and approaches are very different.

WebTest has an XML heritage so doesn't quite take advantage of Groovy language features. It also doesn't offer any support for the PageObject pattern.

Another key difference is that mixing actual code in with your testing code is far from easy with WebTest due to it's model of not executing the test until the whole test is defined.

In short, geb-spock is lighter weight and hopefully offers a more convenient API while WebTest offers much more detailed reporting.

On 14/07/2010, at 5:56 AM, Ian Homer wrote:

> Hi Luke,
>
> Thanks for the heads up, looks interesting and will definitely keep an eye on it.  How do you think this compares with Canoo webtest (http://webtest.canoo.com/webtest/manual/WebTestHome.html) - does it go beyond the Canoo framework or do things in a different way?
>
> Ian
>
> On 13 Jul 2010, at 13:52, Luke Daley wrote:
>
>> Hi all,
>>
>> I have started a new project that combines the following libraries/frameworks to facilitate very Groovy functional web testing.…
>>
>> * HtmlUnit - http://htmlunit.sourceforge.net/
>> * Hue/Doj - http://code.google.com/p/hue/wiki/Doj
>> * Spock - http://spockframework.org/
>>
>> You can see an example that works today at:
>>
>> http://github.com/alkemist/geb-spock
>>

>> If you would like to help on the project, please go ahead and fork it on GitHub or get in touch. The codebase is almost ready for an initial release, but documentation and good examples are needed.
>>
>> Cheers,
>>
>> LD.

Re: Geb/Spock - functional web testing.

charlie-87
Awesome work on this btw.

Trying to convince our team to use this for the epubs we build for sony and apple, the end files are XHTML.  Will make testing much easier on us.

Thanks again,
Chalrie

<charlie/>

On 15/07/2010, at 3:18 AM, charlie wrote:

> Awesome work on this btw.

Cheers :)

> Trying to convince our team to use this for the epubs we build for sony and apple, the end files are XHTML.  Will make testing much easier on us.

There is an example Grails app with this stuff installed available if you want to do some hands-on playing:

http://github.com/downloads/alkemist/grails-geb-spock/person-scaffold-example.zip

Re: Geb/Spock - functional web testing.

jnorthr
CONTENTS DELETED