Gant is to be deleted, or will someone preserve it?

Gant is to be deleted, or will someone preserve it?

Russel Winder-3
Hi,

Way back in 2006, Gant was an experiment in scheduling Ant tasks and attempted
to be a build system. Hans Dockter experiment a lot with it, but in the end
Gant was not the way forward and we got Gradle. Excellently done Hans (and
Adam).

Gant was still used by GINT for a while so was maintained a bit. However Gint3
will now use Gradle.

Thus does Gant come to its end of existence.

It is my intention to delete *everything* unless someone wants to take control
of the Gant group on GitHub to preserve the code for posterity.

--
Russel.
Dr Russel Winder      t: +44 20 7585 2200

Re: Gant is to be deleted, or will someone preserve it?

Why deleting it?
Keep it for posterity! :-)

On Sat, Feb 2, 2019 at 8:29 AM Russel Winder <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi,

Way back in 2006, Gant was an experiment in scheduling Ant tasks and attempted
to be a build system. Hans Dockter experiment a lot with it, but in the end
Gant was not the way forward and we got Gradle. Excellently done Hans (and
Adam).

Gant was still used by GINT for a while so was maintained a bit. However Gint3
will now use Gradle.

Thus does Gant come to its end of existence.

It is my intention to delete *everything* unless someone wants to take control
of the Gant group on GitHub to preserve the code for posterity.

--
Russel.
Dr Russel Winder      t: +44 20 7585 2200
41 Buckmaster Road    m: +44 7770 465 077
London SW11 1EN, UK   w: www.russel.org.uk

Apache Groovy committer

On Sat, 2019-02-02 at 09:18 +0100, Guillaume Laforge wrote:
> Why deleting it?
> Keep it for posterity! :-)

Someone, or some people, then needs to step up and volunteer to be an owner of
the Gant organisation on GitHub.

--
Russel.
Dr Russel Winder      t: +44 20 7585 2200
41 Buckmaster Road    m: +44 7770 465 077
London SW11 1EN, UK   w: www.russel.org.uk

Re: Gant is to be deleted, or will someone preserve it?

Cédric Champeau
An alternative is to "archive" the project in GitHub. It's going to be read-only (see the "settings" tab).

On Sat, 2019-02-02 at 09:50 +0100, Cédric Champeau wrote:
> An alternative is to "archive" the project in GitHub. It's going to be
> read-only (see the "settings" tab).

Gant organisation now with two owners not one, and the two repositories
archived as proposed.