GMaven Rewrite

keegan
Hello,
Sorry if this is the wrong list (it didn't look like [hidden email] was really used).  I've been working on a rewrite of GMaven (http://github.com/keeganwitt/GMavenPlus).  Some of the main goals of this project are:
  * Simplify the project for ease of future maintenance
  * Don't depend on any particular version of Groovy (so it can be as flexible as groovyc and also less needed maintenance)
  * Allow access to GroovyDoc tool through the plugin
  * Support for Groovy 1.8
  * Breathe new life into an abandoned project that I feel is still very important

It's not ready to release just yet (I welcome any feedback you might have), but it's far enough along now that I'd like to make you aware of it.  If Jason Dillon isn't going to work on this anymore, would you be opposed to letting me pick up the GMaven project and release this as GMaven 2.0 when it's ready?

-Keegan

Re: GMaven Rewrite

Guillaume Laforge-4
Hi Keegan,

Great to know someone's picking up the flag!
I think Jason's not working anymore on the project, so if a new maintainer is in sight, there's no reason why we wouldn't let him pick up the project and take care of it!

Looking forward to it!

Guillaume

On Fri, Sep 9, 2011 at 07:28, Keegan Witt <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

http://www.springsource.com/g2one

Re: GMaven Rewrite

Russel Winder
On Fri, 2011-09-09 at 08:45 +0200, Guillaume Laforge wrote:

> Hi Keegan,
>

> Great to know someone's picking up the flag!
> I think Jason's not working anymore on the project, so if a new
> maintainer is in sight, there's no reason why we wouldn't let him pick
> up the project and take care of it!
>

> Looking forward to it!
>

> Guillaume

Is this a project, like the Groovy native launcher whose mainline Git
repository should be held on Codehaus under the Groovy banner?  With
development happening via GitHub.  And any last vestiges in the
Subversion repository deleted so as to avoid confusion.  (It remain in
Subversion of course, just not visible in HEAD.

--
Russel.

Re: GMaven Rewrite

Guillaume Laforge-4
It can be there, it can be elsewhere, I don't mind too much.
The key thing is that I'd like the maintainer to feel at ease, otherwise, the maintainer might stop if he things a particular requirement that we'd impose would be preventing them from contributing actively.

On Fri, Sep 9, 2011 at 09:49, Russel Winder <[hidden email]> wrote:
On Fri, 2011-09-09 at 08:45 +0200, Guillaume Laforge wrote:
> Hi Keegan,
>

> Great to know someone's picking up the flag!
> I think Jason's not working anymore on the project, so if a new
> maintainer is in sight, there's no reason why we wouldn't let him pick
> up the project and take care of it!
>

> Looking forward to it!
>

> Guillaume

Is this a project, like the Groovy native launcher whose mainline Git
repository should be held on Codehaus under the Groovy banner?  With
development happening via GitHub.  And any last vestiges in the
Subversion repository deleted so as to avoid confusion.  (It remain in
Subversion of course, just not visible in HEAD.

--
Russel.
Dr Russel Winder      t: <a href="tel:%2B44%2020%207585%202200" value="+442075852200">+44 20 7585 2200   voip: [hidden email]
41 Buckmaster Road    m: <a href="tel:%2B44%207770%20465%20077" value="+447770465077">+44 7770 465 077   xmpp: [hidden email]

On Fri, 2011-09-09 at 09:53 +0200, Guillaume Laforge wrote:
> It can be there, it can be elsewhere, I don't mind too much.
> The key thing is that I'd like the maintainer to feel at ease,
> otherwise, the maintainer might stop if he things a particular
> requirement that we'd impose would be preventing them from
> contributing actively.

There are a number of issues here, somewhat inter-related.

If all the Groovy infrastructure is dispersed willy-nilly, then there is
no focus of Groovy activity, and hence less community.  Also it means
there is no one place that people can go to for resources.  Findability
of things is crucial here to create a snowball of activity.  There being
a default expectation of core Groovy infrastructure being based in the
core Groovy development sphere contributes to the community.  Nothing
wrong with there being activity outside this, but there needs to be a
clean and simple way of registering that activity in the core sphere so
that it is easily findable.  The Go language team have this well in hand
evolving their use of a wiki into explicit use of goinstall and a
registry.  SCons is trying to dead down this route for tools based on
Mercurial/BitBucket.

As you say, it has to be about support for activity, but this and
community building by support at the centre (albeit with a few
constraints) are not in conflict.

--
Russel.

Re: GMaven Rewrite

Guillaume Laforge-4
Here, we were speaking of where the source code is situated.
It's just a matter to link to that particular place.
But the GMaven doco, support, etc, can stay on Groovy's wiki, on Groovy's mailing-list, etc, so as to keep the community and interest in the usual place.

On Fri, Sep 9, 2011 at 10:15, Russel Winder <[hidden email]> wrote:
On Fri, 2011-09-09 at 09:53 +0200, Guillaume Laforge wrote:
> It can be there, it can be elsewhere, I don't mind too much.
> The key thing is that I'd like the maintainer to feel at ease,
> otherwise, the maintainer might stop if he things a particular
> requirement that we'd impose would be preventing them from
> contributing actively.

There are a number of issues here, somewhat inter-related.

If all the Groovy infrastructure is dispersed willy-nilly, then there is
no focus of Groovy activity, and hence less community.  Also it means
there is no one place that people can go to for resources.  Findability
of things is crucial here to create a snowball of activity.  There being
a default expectation of core Groovy infrastructure being based in the
core Groovy development sphere contributes to the community.  Nothing
wrong with there being activity outside this, but there needs to be a
clean and simple way of registering that activity in the core sphere so
that it is easily findable.  The Go language team have this well in hand
evolving their use of a wiki into explicit use of goinstall and a
registry.  SCons is trying to dead down this route for tools based on
Mercurial/BitBucket.

As you say, it has to be about support for activity, but this and
community building by support at the centre (albeit with a few
constraints) are not in conflict.

--
Russel.
Dr Russel Winder      t: <a href="tel:%2B44%2020%207585%202200" value="+442075852200">+44 20 7585 2200   voip: [hidden email]
41 Buckmaster Road    m: <a href="tel:%2B44%207770%20465%20077" value="+447770465077">+44 7770 465 077   xmpp: [hidden email]

http://www.springsource.com/g2one

Re: GMaven Rewrite

keegan
Thanks for your thoughtfulness Guillaume, but I think it makes sense to put under the Codehaus banner.  This way it's easy to find, and under the control of the organization rather than an individual.  I only put it on GitHub because it was an expedient way to get started.  I like Russel's idea of deleting the old stuff but not deleting the repo so everything is still accessible for posterity's sake.

Obviously I'd also like to update the wiki, and Jira needs triaging pretty badly.  Do I need to contact Jason for access?  I couldn't find any documentation on the procedure for requesting developer access to a project.

Re: GMaven Rewrite

Guillaume Laforge-4
Hi,

On Fri, Sep 9, 2011 at 16:34, keeganwitt <[hidden email]> wrote:
Thanks for your thoughtfulness Guillaume, but I think it makes sense to put
under the Codehaus banner.  This way it's easy to find, and under the
control of the organization rather than an individual.  I only put it on
GitHub because it was an expedient way to get started.  I like Russel's idea
of deleting the old stuff but not deleting the repo so everything is still
accessible for posterity's sake.

Cool :-)
Closer to home is better, but I didn't want to impose that on you.

Obviously I'd also like to update the wiki, and Jira needs triaging pretty
badly.  Do I need to contact Jason for access?

You can always contact him to see what he thinks of all this, or if he still wants to contribute, etc.
It's more polite to ask :-)

I couldn't find any
documentation on the procedure for requesting developer access to a project.

The sources are there:
Which means this is part of the GMaven top-level project.
You'll have to signup on the Xircles admin interface: http://xircles.codehaus.org/signup
And request membership here: http://xircles.codehaus.org/projects/gmaven
That said, as I'm not a "despot", I can't moderate applications, so only Jason Dillon can do that.
But if he doesn't, we can make that happen with Codehaus' admins' help.

http://www.springsource.com/g2one

Re: GMaven Rewrite

Dierk König
I just wanted to add that I recently get more and more requests
for an up-to-date version of GMaven, sometimes even considered
a must-have feature for adopting Groovy in the enterprise.

So, I'm very glad to see progress on this front. Go for it!

cheers
Dierk

Re: GMaven Rewrite

Guillaume Laforge-4
Keegan, perhaps you could add a few words on the GMaven pages to tell that there's new work done in this area?
And point at your current fork? (till the day you take over the GMaven Codehaus project and put your changes there).

Guillaume

On Fri, Sep 9, 2011 at 17:18, Guillaume Laforge <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

123