Friends of Groovy Open Collective

paulk_asert

Hi everyone,

As an independent initiative, we have set up an open collective for Groovy:

This initiative is designed to complement the Apache project and the many contributions we get from our great community and supporters.

Rationale: The Apache Software Foundation values community integrity and vendor independence very highly. As a general principle, it doesn't accept "cash for code" so that individual cash payments can't force contributions into a project which aren't aligned with community consensus. While we value the existing contributions to the project very highly, we wanted this complementary mechanism for any supporters out there who aren't in a position to dedicate their time to the project.

Big kudos to Daniel Sun for spearheading the latest push for this initiative.

Re: Friends of Groovy Open Collective

Daniel Sun
Hi Paul,

     I'm very glad to hear the great news!

     Up to now, Friends of Groovy Open Collective has received donations
from(order by donation time):
1) Jorge Aguilera($10, backer)
2) GR8Conf($50)
3) Masaaki Saito($50)
4) Lemi Orhan Ergin($10)
5) Adam Davis($20)
6) Paolo Di Tommaso($50)
7) David Dawson($100, sponsor)
(Note: backer donates $5+ per month, sponsor donates $100+ per month)

     Thanks a lot for your contribution. I believe Groovy will be great
again because of our endless effort :-)

Re: Friends of Groovy Open Collective

Just sponsored the project!
Looking forward to seeing many contributions coming up!

Guillaume

On Thu, Mar 7, 2019 at 1:33 PM Cédric Champeau <[hidden email]> wrote:
Cool, let's see how it goes!

Le jeu. 7 mars 2019 à 13:23, Daniel Sun <[hidden email]> a écrit :
Hi Paul,

     I'm very glad to hear the great news!

     Up to now, Friends of Groovy Open Collective has received donations
from(order by donation time):
1) Jorge Aguilera($10, backer)
2) GR8Conf($50)
3) Masaaki Saito($50)
4) Lemi Orhan Ergin($10)
5) Adam Davis($20)
6) Paolo Di Tommaso($50)
7) David Dawson($100, sponsor)
(Note: backer donates $5+ per month, sponsor donates $100+ per month)

     Thanks a lot for your contribution. I believe Groovy will be great
again because of our endless effort :-)

Apache Groovy committer

Re: Friends of Groovy Open Collective

paulk_asert
We are following the open collective policy where core committers (of the collective) are the ones who can approve expense submissions. I expect we will grow the number of core committers over time. At some point, I imagine it would be nice to describe a process for deciding fees/bounties and prioritisation of potential tasks but most collectives don't seem to do this (if you spot any good examples, let us know).

In terms of conflicts of interest between the Open Collective and Apache sides of the world, any code/doco/etc created by the collective has to be fed into the Apache Groovy project in the normal way. The normal diversity of the Apache Groovy PMC should come into play in that case. For contentious issues, it might be appropriate for a PMC member to opt out of voting on the Apache side or opt out of direct involvement on the collective side. I imagine such cases would be very rare but we need to remain aware of that possibility.

Or did you have something else in mind that you think we need to address up front?

Cheers, Paul.