Eclipse Plugin again

Alex Shneyderman
Is there a reason why groovy executable is a library inside the
plugin? Would not it be better to provide a preferrence page kind of
setup, where user can plugin different versions of groovy jars? If not
then at least move the jar out in its own plugin and version plugin
according to the groovy jar it wraps? I am just curious as to why it
is this way?

Thanks,
Alex.

Re: Eclipse Plugin again

Scott Hickey-3
I'm not sure why it's that way. Obviously, the plugin won't work at all without the groovy jar. The jar is referenced in the plugin.xml so I'm not sure what implications that has for being able to set it with a plugin preferences option. I think you're suggestion of wrapping the groovy jar in its own plugin is probably a good one. It seems like that was the suggested pattern to follow in one of the books I was reading. It's something I planned to look at but it hasn't created any problems for me so  I haven't devoted much thought to it.  Is this causing you some problems?

Scott

Thanks,
Alex.

Re: Eclipse Plugin again

Alex Shneyderman
No problems but it just seems odd.

My guess the thing to do here would be the same as JDT does. Where JRE
instance is sitting somewhere on the system and by the virtue of your
decalring java nature of the project JRE libs are add to your
classpath.

The only reason I am guessing it is done this way is feature
instability of Groovy itself, but I am not sure of how much that is
valid anymore.

I do have problems of mixing Groovy and Java though; and I posted on
this list but it does not seem to be related to this topic.

Alex.

Alex.

Re: Eclipse Plugin again

Alex Shneyderman
oops ...

> The only reason I am guessing it is done this way is feature
^^^^^^^^^
                        correction: it is NOT done

> instability of Groovy itself, but I am not sure of how much that is

Re: Eclipse Plugin again

James Ervin-2
Quoting Alex Shneyderman <[hidden email]>:

> Is there a reason why groovy executable is a library inside the
> plugin? Would not it be better to provide a preferrence page kind of
> setup, where user can plugin different versions of groovy jars? If not
> then at least move the jar out in its own plugin and version plugin
> according to the groovy jar it wraps? I am just curious as to why it
> is this way?
>
> Thanks,
> Alex.

I would like to second that motion, if you will.  Here are some choices
that I think would be useful. Perhaps a dialog to ask the user if they
would like to link back to the existing groovy jars, maybe via a
variable so that hardcoded paths do not get stuck into the .classpath
file.  Another one could be to copy the jars directly into the project,
this is not as onerous as it seems especially if you can add the last
option.  Finally allow the plugin to scan the workspace, to see if a
groovy plugin has been added or the jars are in another project and
give the user the option to make his project dependent on that project
containing groovy.  Make the last option sensitive to the PDE Project
Nature and update the dependent plugins list if necessary.

Just my .02USD,
James E. Ervin

accounts, build a  wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders,
give orders, cooperate, act  alone, solve equations, analyze a new
problem, pitch manure, program a  computer, cook a tasty meal, fight
efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects."
-- Robert Heinlein