Quantcast

Debugging In Eclipse

Jeff Brown-2
I am using the Groovy Eclipse plugin v 0.9.2 in Eclipse 3.1.2 on Windows
XP.  The IDE lets me set a breakpoint in my Groovy script but the
debugger doesn't actually stop there.  If I call into Java code from my
Groovy script and set a breakpoint in the Java code, the debugger stops
as expected.

Should I be able to set breakpoints in my Groovy scripts?

Thanks.

jb

--
Jeff Brown
[hidden email]

Autism Strikes 1 in 250
Find The Cause ~ Find The Cure
http://www.jeffandbetsy.net/walkfar2005/
http://www.naar.org/

Re: Debugging In Eclipse

Scott Hickey-3
0.9.2 was build last August. There are lot changes in the head including getting debugging working. What's check into cvs should compile without modification.

It works pretty well but requires some Eclipse configuration depending on what you want to do. If you're just trying to your own Groovy scripts, you need to configure the filtering to exclude org.codehaus.* and groovy.*; otherwise you'll step into the Java source for these. Also, you have to "step into" instead of "step over" closures.

Scott

Re: Debugging In Eclipse

graemer
On 4/22/06, Scott Hickey <[hidden email]> wrote:

> 0.9.2 was build last August. There are lot changes in the head including
> getting debugging working. What's check into cvs should compile without
> modification.
>
> It works pretty well but requires some Eclipse configuration depending on
> what you want to do. If you're just trying to your own Groovy scripts, you
> need to configure the filtering to exclude org.codehaus.* and groovy.*;
> otherwise you'll step into the Java source for these. Also, you have to
> "step into" instead of "step over" closures.

Scott,

I've got eclipse with the webtools project setup to launch Grails
inside a tomcat server, do you think it would be possible to get
eclipse to step through the groovy files that make up a Grails app?

Cheers
Graeme

>  Scott

Re: Debugging In Eclipse

Jeff Brown-2
I am having trouble with the latest from CVS.  I can't run any Groovy
script.  I always get NoClassDefFound.  The Groovy Builder does show up
in the project properties.

I am not sure if this is related or not but when I right-click on a
closed project I see the "Add Groovy Nature" menu option.  That option
does not show up when I right-click on any open projects.

Any thoughts?

Thanks.

jb

--
Jeff Brown
[hidden email]
Principal Software Engineer
Object Computing Inc.
http://www.ociweb.com/

Autism Strikes 1 in 250
Find The Cause ~ Find The Cure
http://www.jeffandbetsy.net/walkfar2005/
http://www.naar.org/

Re: Debugging In Eclipse

Jeff Brown-2
Hmm...

I found that my NoClassDefFound problem goes away if I enable "Enable
Groovy Compiler Generating Class Files" in the project preferences.

jb

--
Jeff Brown
[hidden email]
Principal Software Engineer
Object Computing Inc.
http://www.ociweb.com/

Autism Strikes 1 in 250
Find The Cause ~ Find The Cure
http://www.jeffandbetsy.net/walkfar2005/
http://www.naar.org/

Re: Debugging In Eclipse

Scott Hickey-3
I'm working on documentation for debugging in Eclipse similiar to what I did for JSwat. The only way I've debugged files in Eclipse is by pointing the debugger at .class generated from the Groovy source files.

Scott

--
Jeff Brown
[hidden email]
Principal Software Engineer
Object Computing Inc.
http://www.ociweb.com/

Autism Strikes 1 in 250
Find The Cause ~ Find The Cure
http://www.jeffandbetsy.net/walkfar2005/
http://www.naar.org/

Re: Debugging In Eclipse

Scott Hickey-3
I have only worked through 0.10 Grails tutorial (once) when you first sent the email out looking for feeback ( a month ago?) . I'm sorry I haven't done more with Grails. I haven't done any real web project work for about a year so I'm not sure how that will work. When I was doing Web development, I always wrote my tests and did interactive debugging outside of the web app container. I haven't played around with the WTP at all.

Scott

On 4/22/06, Scott Hickey <[hidden email]> wrote:

> 0.9.2 was build last August. There are lot changes in the head including
> getting debugging working. What's check into cvs should compile without
> modification.
>
> It works pretty well but requires some Eclipse configuration depending on
> what you want to do. If you're just trying to your own Groovy scripts, you
> need to configure the filtering to exclude org.codehaus.* and groovy.*;
> otherwise you'll step into the Java source for these. Also, you have to
> "step into" instead of "step over" closures.

Scott,

I've got eclipse with the webtools project setup to launch Grails
inside a tomcat server, do you think it would be possible to get
eclipse to step through the groovy files that make up a Grails app?

Cheers
Graeme

>  Scott

Re: Debugging In Eclipse

Jeff Brown-2
Quoting Graeme Rocher <[hidden email]>:

> On 4/22/06, Scott Hickey <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> > 0.9.2 was build last August. There are lot changes in the head including
> > getting debugging working. What's check into cvs should compile without
> > modification.
> >
> > It works pretty well but requires some Eclipse configuration depending on
> > what you want to do. If you're just trying to your own Groovy scripts, you
> > need to configure the filtering to exclude org.codehaus.* and groovy.*;
> > otherwise you'll step into the Java source for these. Also, you have to
> > "step into" instead of "step over" closures.
>
> Scott,
>
> I've got eclipse with the webtools project setup to launch Grails
> inside a tomcat server, do you think it would be possible to get
> eclipse to step through the groovy files that make up a Grails app?
>
> Cheers
> Graeme

Can you summarize (or detail) how you organize your Eclipse project to launch a
grails app in tomcat using webtools?

Thanks in advance.

jb

--
Autism Strikes 1 in 250
Find The Cause ~ Find The Cure

Jeff Brown
[hidden email]
Principal Software Engineer
Object Computing Inc.
http://www.ociweb.com/

Re: Debugging In Eclipse

graemer
On 4/25/06, Jeff Brown <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Quoting Graeme Rocher <[hidden email]>:
>
> > On 4/22/06, Scott Hickey <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > >
> > > 0.9.2 was build last August. There are lot changes in the head including
> > > getting debugging working. What's check into cvs should compile without
> > > modification.
> > >
> > > It works pretty well but requires some Eclipse configuration depending on
> > > what you want to do. If you're just trying to your own Groovy scripts, you
> > > need to configure the filtering to exclude org.codehaus.* and groovy.*;
> > > otherwise you'll step into the Java source for these. Also, you have to
> > > "step into" instead of "step over" closures.
> >
> > Scott,
> >
> > I've got eclipse with the webtools project setup to launch Grails
> > inside a tomcat server, do you think it would be possible to get
> > eclipse to step through the groovy files that make up a Grails app?
> >
> > Cheers
> > Graeme
>
> Can you summarize (or detail) how you organize your Eclipse project to launch a
> grails app in tomcat using webtools?
>
> Thanks in advance.

At the moment i type "grails package" this creates a "tmp/war"
directory, I then modify the server.xml of my tomcat server embedded
in eclipse WTP directly adding the <Context> element to the <Host>
element like:

<Context docBase="$PATH_TO_APP/tmp/war" path="myapp/" reloadable="false" />

I then just start my application server and thats it

Graeme

> jb
>
> --
> Autism Strikes 1 in 250
> Find The Cause ~ Find The Cure
> http://www.autism-society.org/
>
> Jeff Brown
> [hidden email]
> Principal Software Engineer
> Object Computing Inc.
> http://www.ociweb.com/

Re: Debugging In Eclipse

Scott Hickey-3
FYI, I did try adding the following to my server.xml for my Tomcat 5.0 instance in eclipse
<Context docBase="e:/grails-apps/books/tmp/war" path="books/" reloadable="false" />
and got the following errors
Destroying singletons in factory {org.springframework.beans.factory.support.DefaultListableBeanFactory defining beans [grailsApplication,grailsResourceHolder,characterEncodingFilter]; root of BeanFactory hierarchy}
Context initialization failed
org.springframework.beans.factory.BeanCreationException: Error creating bean with name 'grailsApplication' defined in ServletContext resource [/WEB-INF/applicationContext.xml]: Initialization of bean failed; nested exception is org.codehaus.groovy.grails.exceptions.CompilationFailedException: Compilation error parsing file [ApplicationDataSource.groovy]: Failed to parse groovy file: ApplicationDataSource
org.codehaus.groovy.grails.exceptions.CompilationFailedException: Compilation error parsing file [ApplicationDataSource.groovy]: Failed to parse groovy file: ApplicationDataSource

I got these error after doing grails package. That's why I did grail war and imported the war into eclipse.

Scott

On 4/25/06, Jeff Brown <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Quoting Graeme Rocher <[hidden email]>:
>
> > On 4/22/06, Scott Hickey <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > >
> > > 0.9.2 was build last August. There are lot changes in the head including
> > > getting debugging working. What's check into cvs should compile without
> > > modification.
> > >
> > > It works pretty well but requires some Eclipse configuration depending on
> > > what you want to do. If you're just trying to your own Groovy scripts, you
> > > need to configure the filtering to exclude org.codehaus.* and groovy.*;
> > > otherwise you'll step into the Java source for these. Also, you have to
> > > "step into" instead of "step over" closures.
> >
> > Scott,
> >
> > I've got eclipse with the webtools project setup to launch Grails
> > inside a tomcat server, do you think it would be possible to get
> > eclipse to step through the groovy files that make up a Grails app?
> >
> > Cheers
> > Graeme
>
> Can you summarize (or detail) how you organize your Eclipse project to launch a
> grails app in tomcat using webtools?
>
> Thanks in advance.

At the moment i type "grails package" this creates a "tmp/war"
directory, I then modify the server.xml of my tomcat server embedded
in eclipse WTP directly adding the <Context> element to the <Host>
element like:

<Context docBase="$PATH_TO_APP/tmp/war" path="myapp/" reloadable="false" />

I then just start my application server and thats it

Graeme

> jb
>
> --
> Autism Strikes 1 in 250
> Find The Cause ~ Find The Cure
> http://www.autism-society.org/
>
> Jeff Brown
> [hidden email]
> Principal Software Engineer
> Object Computing Inc.
> http://www.ociweb.com/

Re: Debugging In Eclipse

David Black @ Codecurl

I'm trying to figure out why the latest (current from cvs) Groovy
Eclipse plugin does not appear to work at all with my install of 3.1.2

All I get is New Groovy class / unit test ... adding a Groovy class does
create the class and opens it in the Groovy editor, but:

1. the Groovy nature is not added
2. There is no syntax highlighting or any other editor feature
2. I don't see "Add Groovy Nature" on any menu, whether a project is
closed or open
3. I don't have any Groovy preferences in my preferences

Anyone else having/had these problems?

Any help much appreciated

David Black

Jeff Brown wrote:

> I am having trouble with the latest from CVS.  I can't run any Groovy
> script.  I always get NoClassDefFound.  The Groovy Builder does show
> up in the project properties.
>
> I am not sure if this is related or not but when I right-click on a
> closed project I see the "Add Groovy Nature" menu option.  That option
> does not show up when I right-click on any open projects.
>
> Any thoughts?
>
> Thanks.
>

> jb
>
> Scott Hickey wrote:
>
>> 0.9.2 was build last August. There are lot changes in the head
>> including getting debugging working. What's check into cvs should
>> compile without modification.
>>
>> It works pretty well but requires some Eclipse configuration
>> depending on what you want to do. If you're just trying to your own
>> Groovy scripts, you need to configure the filtering to exclude
>> org.codehaus.* and groovy.*; otherwise you'll step into the Java
>> source for these. Also, you have to "step into" instead of "step
>> over" closures.
>>
>> Scott

Re: Debugging In Eclipse

David Black @ Codecurl
forget this - I found a "bad" plugin that was blocking / killing the
Groovy plugin
thks

David Black wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I'm trying to figure out why the latest (current from cvs) Groovy
> Eclipse plugin does not appear to work at all with my install of 3.1.2
>
> All I get is New Groovy class / unit test ... adding a Groovy class
> does create the class and opens it in the Groovy editor, but:
>
> 1. the Groovy nature is not added
> 2. There is no syntax highlighting or any other editor feature
> 2. I don't see "Add Groovy Nature" on any menu, whether a project is
> closed or open
> 3. I don't have any Groovy preferences in my preferences
>
> Anyone else having/had these problems?
>
> Any help much appreciated
>
> David Black
>

> Jeff Brown wrote:
>> I am having trouble with the latest from CVS.  I can't run any Groovy
>> script.  I always get NoClassDefFound.  The Groovy Builder does show
>> up in the project properties.
>>
>> I am not sure if this is related or not but when I right-click on a
>> closed project I see the "Add Groovy Nature" menu option.  That
>> option does not show up when I right-click on any open projects.
>>
>> Any thoughts?
>>
>> Thanks.
>>

>> jb
>>
>> Scott Hickey wrote:
>>
>>> 0.9.2 was build last August. There are lot changes in the head
>>> including getting debugging working. What's check into cvs should
>>> compile without modification.
>>>
>>> It works pretty well but requires some Eclipse configuration
>>> depending on what you want to do. If you're just trying to your own
>>> Groovy scripts, you need to configure the filtering to exclude
>>> org.codehaus.* and groovy.*; otherwise you'll step into the Java
>>> source for these. Also, you have to "step into" instead of "step
>>> over" closures.
>>>
>>> Scott

groovy Eclipse: java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError: groovy/lang/GroovyClassLoader

David Black @ Codecurl
Hi,

I'm getting this problem with the latest groovy Eclipse plugin build:

java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError: groovy/lang/GroovyClassLoader
    at
org.codehaus.groovy.eclipse.model.GroovyModel.getGroovyProject(GroovyModel.java:97)
    at
org.codehaus.groovy.eclipse.model.GroovyModel.getProject(GroovyModel.java:157)
    at
org.codehaus.groovy.eclipse.actions.AddGroovyNatureAction.run(AddGroovyNatureAction.java:32)
    at
org.eclipse.ui.internal.PluginAction.runWithEvent(PluginAction.java:246)
    at
org.eclipse.jface.action.ActionContributionItem.handleWidgetSelection(ActionContributionItem.java:538)
    at
org.eclipse.jface.action.ActionContributionItem.access$2(ActionContributionItem.java:488)
    at
org.eclipse.jface.action.ActionContributionItem$5.handleEvent(ActionContributionItem.java:400)
    at org.eclipse.swt.widgets.EventTable.sendEvent(EventTable.java:66)
    at org.eclipse.swt.widgets.Widget.sendEvent(Widget.java:843)
    at org.eclipse.swt.widgets.Display.runDeferredEvents(Display.java:3125)
    at org.eclipse.swt.widgets.Display.readAndDispatch(Display.java:2758)
    at org.eclipse.ui.internal.Workbench.runEventLoop(Workbench.java:1699)
    at org.eclipse.ui.internal.Workbench.runUI(Workbench.java:1663)
    at
org.eclipse.ui.internal.Workbench.createAndRunWorkbench(Workbench.java:367)
    at org.eclipse.ui.PlatformUI.createAndRunWorkbench(PlatformUI.java:143)
    at
org.eclipse.ui.internal.ide.IDEApplication.run(IDEApplication.java:103)
    at
org.eclipse.core.internal.runtime.PlatformActivator$1.run(PlatformActivator.java:226)
    at
org.eclipse.core.runtime.adaptor.EclipseStarter.run(EclipseStarter.java:376)
    at
org.eclipse.core.runtime.adaptor.EclipseStarter.run(EclipseStarter.java:163)
    at org.eclipse.core.launcher.Main.invokeFramework(Main.java:334)
    at org.eclipse.core.launcher.Main.basicRun(Main.java:278)
    at org.eclipse.core.launcher.Main.run(Main.java:973)
    at org.eclipse.core.launcher.Main.main(Main.java:948)

any ideas?

thanks
David Black