[DRAFT] Proposed board report for August 2018

[DRAFT] Proposed board report for August 2018

paulk_asert

I haven't heard from Guillaume and our report is due today.
I don't have the latest download numbers but here is all the rest of the info.

Please let me know if you have anything to add.

Cheers, Paul.
P.S. Guillaume, please feel free to send or I while first thing my tomorrow.

============

Apache Groovy is a multi-faceted programming language for the Java platform.
Groovy is a powerful, optionally typed and dynamic language, with static-
typing and static compilation capabilities, aimed at multiplying developers’
productivity thanks to a concise, familiar and easy to learn syntax. It
integrates smoothly with any Java program, and immediately delivers to your
application powerful features, including scripting capabilities, Domain-
Specific Language authoring, first class functional programming support
and runtime and compile-time meta-programming.

## Issues:

There are no new issues requiring board attention at this time.
Outstanding issues:
 - The final steps to completing the website migration are still outstanding.

## Activity:

 - This quarter, 257 commits were contributed from 22 contributors
including 12 non-committer contributors (12 new).

## Health report:

 - Committee Health score: 10.00 (Super Healthy)
 - Our release train velocity has been maintained, and there seems to be a
   healthy level of discussion about project direction on the mailing lists.

## PMC changes:

 - Currently 11 PMC members.
 - Andres Almiray was added to the PMC on Thu May 31 2018

## Committer base changes:

 - Currently 19 committers.
 - Remko Popma was added as a committer on Sat Jul 07 2018

## Releases:

 - 2.5.0 was released on Wed May 30 2018
 - 2.5.0-rc-3 was released on Tue May 22 2018
 - 2.5.1 was released on Fri Jul 13 2018
 - 2.6.0-alpha-4 was released on Tue Jun 26 2018
 - 3.0.0-alpha-3 was released on Tue Jun 26 2018

## Mailing list activity:

 - Slight increase in subscribers over the period otherwise nothing to report

## JIRA activity:

Re: [DRAFT] Proposed board report for August 2018

Looking great to me :-)

Adding a few numbers:

Apache Groovy was downloaded 27M+ times the past three months (May / June / July),
across Maven Central and Bintray JCenter, for a total of 54M+ since the beginning of the year.
Generally, 2/3 of the downloads are from Maven Central, vs 1/3 from Bintray JCenter.
There is still a lot of users downloading the latest 2.4.x releases, almost as much as the 2.5.x ones.
But it is nice to see that about 10% of the downloads are from users trying our 3.0 alphas.

Guillaume

On Wed, Aug 8, 2018 at 12:04 PM Paul King <[hidden email]> wrote:

[...]

Russel Winder-3
I appreciate the idea of big numbers is to impress, and clearly we want to be
impressive, but do we know what is meant by download here?

As I see it, we have:

– Groovy installer downloads
– Gradle/Maven/etc. direct downloads of a groovy artefact from:
        · Maven Central
        · JCenter
– Gradle/Maven/etc. indirect (due to transitive dependency) downloads of a
groovy artefact from:
        · Maven Central
        · JCenter

This still ignores everyone using SDKMAN! to download the groovy system. Also
Arch, Fedora, and Debian (and thus Ubuntu and Mint) package Groovy, and this
defies any form of counting for impressiveness purposes. Of course there is
also MacPorts, HomeBrew, and indeed Chocolatey. These statistics also don't
recognise that there are Gradle and Maven caches that are being filled and
copied, defying all statistics.

I just get the feeling that the download statistics do not actually tell us
anything useful.

But if they keep people happy, they serve a purpose.

--
Russel.
Dr Russel Winder      t: +44 20 7585 2200

Re: [DRAFT] Proposed board report for August 2018

It's an indicator like any other.

It accounts for SDKman as well by the way since it redirects to us.
But indeed we're missing other sources like Linux distribution mechanisms.

The absolute number in itself is perhaps less interesting than the general ongoing trend of growth that that number of downloads sees.

Le mer. 8 août 2018 à 16:27, Russel Winder <[hidden email]> a écrit :
> [...]

> >  - Remko Popma was added as a committer on Sat Jul 07 2018
> >
> > ## Releases:
> >
> >  - 2.5.0 was released on Wed May 30 2018
> >  - 2.5.0-rc-3 was released on Tue May 22 2018
> >  - 2.5.1 was released on Fri Jul 13 2018
> >  - 2.6.0-alpha-4 was released on Tue Jun 26 2018
> >  - 3.0.0-alpha-3 was released on Tue Jun 26 2018
> >
> > ## Mailing list activity:
> >
> >  - Slight increase in subscribers over the period otherwise nothing to
> > report
> >
> > ## JIRA activity:
> >
> >  - 159 JIRA tickets created in the last 3 months
> >  - 133 JIRA tickets closed/resolved in the last 3 months

--
Russel.
Dr Russel Winder      t: +44 20 7585 2200
41 Buckmaster Road    m: +44 7770 465 077
London SW11 1EN, UK   w: www.russel.org.uk

Re: [DRAFT] Proposed board report for August 2018

I agree with you. The numbers aren't an accurate assessment but given it is a metric
we can measure, and one of the few, I think it provides very useful feedback.

Cheers, Paul.