[DRAFT] Proposed board report for Apache Groovy for May 2018

[DRAFT] Proposed board report for Apache Groovy for May 2018

paulk_asert

In case Guillaume delegates the board report to me, I thought I would get in
early and produce a draft in case anyone else has anything to add. It is due
in a few days time.

Guillaume, feel free to send as is or add in more info if you want or receive
further feedback. It DOESN'T have download numbers in as yet. I jump on a
plane tonight but I can progress further if need be in a couple of days time.

Cheers, Paul.

//////////////

Apache Groovy is a multi-faceted programming language for the Java platform.
Groovy is a powerful, optionally typed and dynamic language, with static-
typing and static compilation capabilities, aimed at multiplying developers’
productivity thanks to a concise, familiar and easy to learn syntax. It
integrates smoothly with any Java program, and immediately delivers to your
application powerful features, including scripting capabilities, Domain-
Specific Language authoring, first class functional programming support
and runtime and compile-time meta-programming.

## Issues:

There are no new issues requiring board attention at this time.
Outstanding issues:
 - The final steps to completing the website migration are still outstanding.
   A new issue has been raised wrt bad formatting on the https version of the
   site due to the current status, so there will be increased pressure on us to
   complete this task.
 - The community is still keen on some kind of Groovy Champions scheme.
   We have passed on the information around Apache requirements for such
   a scheme was it to move forward. No further discussions have taken place.

## Activity:

 - This quarter, 349 commits were contributed from 18 contributors
   including 11 non-committer contributors (10 new).

## Health report:

 - Our release train velocity has been maintained, and there seems to be a
   healthy level of discussion about project direction on the mailing lists.

## PMC changes:

 - Currently 10 PMC members.
 - Last PMC addition was John Wagenleitner on Sun Apr 02 2017

## Committer base changes:

 - Currently 18 committers.
 - Last committer addition was Sergei Egorov at Thu Dec 08 2016

## Releases:

 - 2.4.14 was released on Fri Mar 02 2018
 - 2.4.15 was released on Tue Mar 27 2018
 - 2.5.0-beta-3 was released on Fri Feb 23 2018
 - 2.5.0-rc-1 was released on Mon Apr 09 2018
 - 2.6.0-alpha-3 was released on Tue Mar 06 2018
 - 3.0.0-alpha-2 was released on Tue Apr 17 2018

## Mailing list activity:

 - Slight increase in subscribers over the period otherwise nothing to report

## JIRA activity:

Re: [DRAFT] Proposed board report for Apache Groovy for May 2018

Hi Paul,

I've submitted the report with the addition of the download numbers.

 - Over the previous quarter, Apache Groovy has been downloaded 19 million
   times. Twice as much in Q1'18 as the same period the previous year.

Download figures keep growing :-)

Guillaume

On Sun, May 6, 2018 at 5:05 AM, Paul King <[hidden email]> wrote:

[...]

Jochen Theodorou
thanks you two for always taking care of these things

@Groovy downloads x2: Great news! :-)

Re: [DRAFT] Proposed board report for Apache Groovy for May 2018

Daniel.Sun
Yep. It is a great news.
As you all know, Groovy is lack of marketing, so I wonder why Groovy
adoption grows so much.

Apache Groovy committer

Blog: http://blog.sunlan.me
Twitter: @daniel_sun

Re: [DRAFT] Proposed board report for Apache Groovy for May 2018

MG
If I would venture a guess, and gauging from articles in magazines, I
would say the upcoming Groovy 3.0 major release creates quite some buzz...
Cheers,
mg