[DRAFT] Apache Board Report November 2020 (reporting on Aug/Sep/Oct)

[DRAFT] Apache Board Report November 2020 (reporting on Aug/Sep/Oct)

Hi Folks,

Any other updates/comments before I submit our latest board report? (Due tomorrow)

Thanks, Paul.

===============>8==============

Apache Groovy is responsible for the evolution and maintenance of the Groovy
programming language

## Issues:
No issues requiring board attention at this time.

## Membership Data:
Apache Groovy was founded 2015-11-18 (5 years ago)
There are currently 20 committers and 10 PMC members in this project.
The Committer-to-PMC ratio is 2:1.

Community changes, past quarter:
- No new PMC members. Last addition was Daniel Sun on 2019-05-06.
- No new committers. Last addition was Mikko Värri on 2020-06-03.

## Project Activity:
We continue to work on bug fixes for 2.5 and 3 and continue to assist
other non-Apache projects within the Groovy ecosystem move to 3.0.

We are also working on our roadmap for Groovy 4 and recently released
our first alpha version. Groovy 4 GA is expected next year.
Some interesting aspects (some have incubating status) of the release
include a contributed design-by-contract module, a language
integrated query module, move to org.apache.groovy maven coordinates
from legacy org.codehaus.groovy, additional built-in type checkers,
additional built-in macro methods, record-like classes and numerous
legacy consolidation activities.

Recent releases:
3.0.6 was released on 2020-09-29.
4.0.0-alpha-1 was released on 2020-09-29.
2.4.20 was released on 2020-07-22.

Downloads (Maven central/bintray only):
- For Aug/Sep/Oct quarter: approx 93 million
- last 12 months: ~310M
- since 2012 (when we started keeping stats from above repos):  ~670M

## Community Health:
The overall community status remains healthy. The community tries very
hard to be welcoming and interesting discussions continue to take place
at appropriate times. Large endeavours currently take a while to progress
due to the part-time nature of most contributors.

One key community building aspect for the project was our participation
in ApacheCon@Home. The project had a dedicated track and received interest
from numerous speakers. There were two days of talks, a workshop and
a hackerthon.

This quarter, 318 (575) commits were contributed from 12 (16) contributors
including 7 non-committer contributors (5 new) to the main
branch (all branches/repos).

Re: [DRAFT] Apache Board Report November 2020 (reporting on Aug/Sep/Oct)

Jochen Theodorou
+1

On 10.11.20 13:43, Paul King wrote:

> I'll also mention the latest TIOBE index briefly.

> On Tue, Nov 10, 2020 at 4:55 PM Paul King <[hidden email]
> <mailto:[hidden email]>> wrote:
>

>     Hi Folks,
>
>     Any other updates/comments before I submit our latest board report?
>     (Due tomorrow)
>
>     Thanks, Paul.
>
>     ===============>8==============

>     Apache Groovy is responsible for the evolution and maintenance of
>     the Groovy
>     programming language
>
>     ## Issues:
>     No issues requiring board attention at this time.
>
>     ## Membership Data:
>     Apache Groovy was founded 2015-11-18 (5 years ago)
>     There are currently 20 committers and 10 PMC members in this project.
>     The Committer-to-PMC ratio is 2:1.
>
>     Community changes, past quarter:
>     - No new PMC members. Last addition was Daniel Sun on 2019-05-06.
>     - No new committers. Last addition was Mikko Värri on 2020-06-03.
>
>     ## Project Activity:
>     We continue to work on bug fixes for 2.5 and 3 and continue to assist
>     other non-Apache projects within the Groovy ecosystem move to 3.0.
>
>     We are also working on our roadmap for Groovy 4 and recently released
>     our first alpha version. Groovy 4 GA is expected next year.
>     Some interesting aspects (some have incubating status) of the release
>     include a contributed design-by-contract module, a language
>     integrated query module, move to org.apache.groovy maven coordinates
>     from legacy org.codehaus.groovy, additional built-in type checkers,
>     additional built-in macro methods, record-like classes and numerous
>     legacy consolidation activities.
>
>     Recent releases:
>     3.0.6 was released on 2020-09-29.
>     4.0.0-alpha-1 was released on 2020-09-29.
>     2.4.20 was released on 2020-07-22.
>
>     Downloads (Maven central/bintray only):
>     - For Aug/Sep/Oct quarter: approx 93 million
>     - last 12 months: ~310M
>     - since 2012 (when we started keeping stats from above repos):  ~670M
>
>     ## Community Health:
>     The overall community status remains healthy. The community tries very
>     hard to be welcoming and interesting discussions continue to take place
>     at appropriate times. Large endeavours currently take a while to
>     progress
>     due to the part-time nature of most contributors.
>
>     One key community building aspect for the project was our participation
>     in ApacheCon@Home. The project had a dedicated track and received
>     interest
>     from numerous speakers. There were two days of talks, a workshop and
>     a hackerthon.
>
>     This quarter, 318 (575) commits were contributed from 12 (16)
>     contributors
>     including 7 non-committer contributors (5 new) to the main
>     branch (all branches/repos).

>     <#m_4392882591858557772_DAB4FAD8-2DD7-40BB-A1B8-4E2AA1F9FDF2>

Re: [DRAFT] Apache Board Report November 2020 (reporting on Aug/Sep/Oct)

Lgtm

Le mer. 11 nov. 2020 à 08:58, Jochen Theodorou <[hidden email]> a écrit :
> [...]

>     hard to be welcoming and interesting discussions continue to take place
>     at appropriate times. Large endeavours currently take a while to
>     progress
>     due to the part-time nature of most contributors.
>
>     One key community building aspect for the project was our participation
>     in ApacheCon@Home. The project had a dedicated track and received
>     interest
>     from numerous speakers. There were two days of talks, a workshop and
>     a hackerthon.
>
>     This quarter, 318 (575) commits were contributed from 12 (16)
>     contributors
>     including 7 non-committer contributors (5 new) to the main
>     branch (all branches/repos).

>     <#m_4392882591858557772_DAB4FAD8-2DD7-40BB-A1B8-4E2AA1F9FDF2>

Re: [DRAFT] Apache Board Report November 2020 (reporting on Aug/Sep/Oct)

Remko Popma
+1

On Wed, Nov 11, 2020 at 5:32 PM Guillaume Laforge <[hidden email]> wrote:
> [...]

>     hard to be welcoming and interesting discussions continue to take place
>     at appropriate times. Large endeavours currently take a while to
>     progress
>     due to the part-time nature of most contributors.
>
>     One key community building aspect for the project was our participation
>     in ApacheCon@Home. The project had a dedicated track and received
>     interest
>     from numerous speakers. There were two days of talks, a workshop and
>     a hackerthon.
>
>     This quarter, 318 (575) commits were contributed from 12 (16)
>     contributors
>     including 7 non-committer contributors (5 new) to the main
>     branch (all branches/repos).

>     <#m_4392882591858557772_DAB4FAD8-2DD7-40BB-A1B8-4E2AA1F9FDF2>

Re: [DRAFT] Apache Board Report November 2020 (reporting on Aug/Sep/Oct)

Even if the metrics of all programming language rankings can be questioned, TIOBE is probably one of the, if not the, best know ones, so it is great to see Groovy at 11th place (https://www.tiobe.com/tiobe-index/).

11th place might not sound that great at first look, but:
  1. Groovy moved up from 14 last year to 11 this year.
  2. The 10 languages before Groovy are the real heavyweights that everybody knows (C, Python, Java, C++, C#, VB, JS, PHP, R, SQL) - and would intuitively put in the top ten of any list (with the possible exception of R).
  3. Groovy is the clear #2 JVM language, with a rating of 1.51%, with Scala being a distant 3rd with 0.53% (pos 29), followed by Kotlin with 0.38% (pos 36).

G-)
mg

PS: "SQL" is evidently on its way out, it continuously fell from nearly 4% around 2004 to 1.54% in 2020, barely keeping its place in front of Groovy this year - Top 10, here we come... ;-)