[DISCUSS] Groovy 2.6 potential retirement to focus on Groovy 3.0

[DISCUSS] Groovy 2.6 potential retirement to focus on Groovy 3.0

paulk_asert

Hi everyone,

There was some discussion at gr8conf about how to speed up delivery of Groovy 3.0. Some of that discussion was around the scope of what we want to include and have yet to complete in 3.0 but I won't discuss that right now.

One of the other discussion points was Groovy around 2.6. As many of you know, we have released alpha versions of Groovy 2.6. That version is a backport of most but not all of Groovy 3.0 to JDK7 including the Parrot parser (though it isn't enabled by default). The purpose of this version has always been to assist people/projects wanting to use the Parrot parser but who might be stuck on JDK7. So in some sense it is an intermediate version to assist with porting towards Groovy 3.0. While that is still a noble goal in theory, in practice, many of our users are already on JDK8 and we have limited resources to work on many potential areas.

With that in mind, we'd like to understand the preferences in our user base for the following two options:

Option 1: please continue releasing the best possible 2.6 even if that slows down the final release of Groovy 3.0 and delays further work on better support for JDK9+.

Option 2: please release one more alpha of 2.6 over the next month or so which will become the best version to use to assist porting for users stuck on JDK7 and then focus on 3.0. The 2.6 branch will essentially be retired though we will consider PRs from the community for critical fixes.

Feedback welcome.

Re: [DISCUSS] Groovy 2.6 potential retirement to focus on Groovy 3.0

David Dawson
I would vote 2.

Actually, i would vote 3) abandon 2.6 immediately.

No projects I have any knowledge of still use jdk 7.

Re: [DISCUSS] Groovy 2.6 potential retirement to focus on Groovy 3.0

Paolo Di Tommaso
I agree on option 3 (abandon 2.6 immediately).

Full support for JKD9+ is becoming a pressing issue. Users are concerned about the ability of Groovy to run on future JDK releases (including GraalVM), more than legacy support.

On Wed, Jun 13, 2018 at 9:11 AM, David Dawson <[hidden email]> wrote:
I would vote 2.

Actually, i would vote 3) abandon 2.6 immediately.

No projects I have any knowledge of still use jdk 7.

RE: [DISCUSS] Groovy 2.6 potential retirement to focus on Groovy 3.0

William.W.Mangum

I agree on option 3 (abandon 2.6 immediately).

JDK 6 or 7 is not in use anywhere that I have project visibility.

Full support for JKD9+ is becoming a pressing issue. Users are concerned about the ability of Groovy to run on future JDK releases (including GraalVM), more than legacy support.

Best Regards

Sent: 13 June 2018 08:06

Reply to: [hidden email]

[...]

Best regards / Med venlig hilsen,

Søren Berg Glasius

Hedevej 1, Gl. Rye, 8680 Ry, Denmark
Mobile: +45 40 44 91 88, Skype: sbglasius

Re: [DISCUSS] Groovy 2.6 potential retirement to focus on Groovy 3.0

h2gr
I say 3.

(I may be alone on this one, but I'd even suggest to consider some of
the Java syntax compatibility, if this helps speed up Groovy 3. If I
need to write Java code, I can always put it in .java files.)

Haakon Hansen