Creating plugins as jars for Eclipse plugin

Creating plugins as jars for Eclipse plugin

adrians
Could the build of the Eclipse plugin be changed to create jars instead of directories (well, there is one jar being created currently for the eclipsebrowsing plugin)? This seems to be the recommended format according to the Eclipse project, which has been transitioning most of their plugins to the archive format. Is there a reason why these need to remain in expanded form?

Adrian

Re: Creating plugins as jars for Eclipse plugin

Edward Povazan
We want to do this too. The entire plugin needs to be upgraded to 3.2
(I think it is 3.0 at the moment), but it isn't as trivial as I had
hoped - there were problems with the other plugin dependents and I
have not yet had time to investigate.
-Ed

On 17-Jan-07, at 8:51 AM, adrians wrote:

> Could the build of the Eclipse plugin be changed to create jars
> instead of
> directories (well, there is one jar being created currently for the
> eclipsebrowsing plugin)? This seems to be the recommended format
> according
> to the Eclipse project, which has been transitioning most of their
> plugins
> to the archive format. Is there a reason why these need to remain in
> expanded form?
>
> Adrian

Re: Creating plugins as jars for Eclipse plugin

Alex Shneyderman
> to the archive format. Is there a reason why these need to remain in
> expanded form?

Should that matter?
I wonder what the differences are? and why jarring plugins is recomended?

Re: Creating plugins as jars for Eclipse plugin

System Architect
According to Eclipse folks - jarred plugins load faster, but but have
problems re-exposing their internal jars. For example - I was writing a
Groovy Monkey DOM and needed a groovy monkey jar which was jarred inside
that plugin. Only after I expanded that plugin - I could see the classes
from that jar (via bundle dependency mechanism, of cause)

Thanks,
Oleg

Alex Shneyderman wrote:

>> to the archive format. Is there a reason why these need to remain in
>> expanded form?
>
> Should that matter?
> I wonder what the differences are? and why jarring plugins is recomended?

Re: Creating plugins as jars for Eclipse plugin

adrians
Hmm, I find it hard to believe that this would be recommended if there really were such problem. Could it be that the issue you had was due to different platform versions (i.e. 3.0, 3.1, 3.2, 3.3) for the various bundles involved and consequently different visibility rules being used? I believe that support for archived bundles came in only with Eclipse 3.2. Guess I'll have to read up on this...

System Architect wrote