Capturing GEPs better

paulk_asert
One of the things which I don't believe we ever brought across from the codehaus move was the GEP part of the codehaus wiki:

https://web.archive.org/web/20150504145954/http://docs.codehaus.org/display/GroovyJSR/Groovy+Enhancement+Proposal

We certainly have merged the outcomes from the GEPs into the language as needed and parts of the doco and some tests capture bits of the GEP design and outcomes as does some of the issues in Jira but not the original GEPs.

I was going to try to bring those across and convert to asciidoc on the way - for historical purposes but also to be in a better position to cater for new ones. We have made do with using Jira but I'm not sure that is the best way to capture this kind of information.

I was thinking under groovy-website rather than the core repo. Thoughts?

Re: Capturing GEPs better

paulk_asert
This is an example of what I had in mind:
http://groovy-lang.org/wiki/GEP-1.html

On Thu, Oct 11, 2018 at 6:21 PM Paul King <[hidden email]> wrote:
One of the things which I don't believe we ever brought across from the codehaus move was the GEP part of the codehaus wiki:

https://web.archive.org/web/20150504145954/http://docs.codehaus.org/display/GroovyJSR/Groovy+Enhancement+Proposal

We certainly have merged the outcomes from the GEPs into the language as needed and parts of the doco and some tests capture bits of the GEP design and outcomes as does some of the issues in Jira but not the original GEPs.

I was going to try to bring those across and convert to asciidoc on the way - for historical purposes but also to be in a better position to cater for new ones. We have made do with using Jira but I'm not sure that is the best way to capture this kind of information.

I was thinking under groovy-website rather than the core repo. Thoughts?

Re: Capturing GEPs better

+1 or the idea and +1 for groovy.apache.org

On 11.10.2018 16:56, Cédric Champeau wrote:

> This is typically what should live at groovy.apache.org
> <http://groovy.apache.org> :)
>
> Le jeu. 11 oct. 2018 à 16:54, Guillaume Laforge <[hidden email]
> <mailto:[hidden email]>> a écrit :
>
>     +1
>     I like the idea of having GEPs on the wiki side of the site.
>
>     Le jeu. 11 oct. 2018 à 15:35, Paul King <[hidden email]
>     <mailto:[hidden email]>> a écrit :
>
>         This is an example of what I had in mind:
>         http://groovy-lang.org/wiki/GEP-1.html
>
>         On Thu, Oct 11, 2018 at 6:21 PM Paul King <[hidden email]
>         <mailto:[hidden email]>> wrote:
>
>             One of the things which I don't believe we ever brought
>             across from the codehaus move was the GEP part of the
>             codehaus wiki:
>
>             https://web.archive.org/web/20150504145954/http://docs.codehaus.org/display/GroovyJSR/Groovy+Enhancement+Proposal
>
>             We certainly have merged the outcomes from the GEPs into the
>             language as needed and parts of the doco and some tests
>             capture bits of the GEP design and outcomes as does some of
>             the issues in Jira but not the original GEPs.
>
>             I was going to try to bring those across and convert to
>             asciidoc on the way - for historical purposes but also to be
>             in a better position to cater for new ones. We have made do
>             with using Jira but I'm not sure that is the best way to
>             capture this kind of information.
>
>             I was thinking under groovy-website rather than the core
>             repo. Thoughts?
>
>             Cheers, Paul.

Re: Capturing GEPs better

On 11.10.2018 16:59, Guillaume Laforge wrote:
> Or perhaps only the work in progress GEPs vs the final ones?

if we can without too much effort I would bring over all of them, so
people can have more examples.. and sometimes they are interesting for
historic reasons

Re: Capturing GEPs better

+1 on this, definitely a good idea, will greatly help with the same
topic being be raised and discussed on the ML, Stackoverflow, in blogs,
etc time and time again, with most of the discussion (and hopefully at
least some conclusion) being lost in time in the end.
Just must make an effort that newcomers to Groovy are aware that this
exists...

On 11.10.2018 10:21, Paul King wrote:

> One of the things which I don't believe we ever brought across from
> the codehaus move was the GEP part of the codehaus wiki:
>
> https://web.archive.org/web/20150504145954/http://docs.codehaus.org/display/GroovyJSR/Groovy+Enhancement+Proposal
>
> We certainly have merged the outcomes from the GEPs into the language
> as needed and parts of the doco and some tests capture bits of the GEP
> design and outcomes as does some of the issues in Jira but not the
> original GEPs.
>
> I was going to try to bring those across and convert to asciidoc on
> the way - for historical purposes but also to be in a better position
> to cater for new ones. We have made do with using Jira but I'm not
> sure that is the best way to capture this kind of information.
>
> I was thinking under groovy-website rather than the core repo. Thoughts?
>
> Cheers, Paul.

Re: Capturing GEPs better

Being on groovy.apache.org is the plan. Just haven't completed the work to make that site automatically be produced as of yet.