Quantcast

Build futures

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
16 messages Options
12
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Build futures

Russel Winder-3
When (not if I hope) Groovy gets a Gradle build as it's primary build,
will the plan be to integrate the native launcher and build it using the
C/C++ build tool for Gradle?
--
Russel.
=============================================================================
Dr Russel Winder      t: +44 20 7585 2200   voip: sip:[hidden email]
41 Buckmaster Road    m: +44 7770 465 077   xmpp: [hidden email]
London SW11 1EN, UK   w: www.russel.org.uk  skype: russel_winder


signature.asc (205 bytes) Download Attachment
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: Build futures

Guillaume Laforge-4
It's not been planed to build the native launcher, but that might be possible.
Currently, we're stuck with Ant, as there's a bug in Gradle that hangs the build when executing the tests.

On Thu, May 3, 2012 at 9:38 PM, Russel Winder <[hidden email]> wrote:
When (not if I hope) Groovy gets a Gradle build as it's primary build,
will the plan be to integrate the native launcher and build it using the
C/C++ build tool for Gradle?
--
Russel.
=============================================================================
Dr Russel Winder      t: <a href="tel:%2B44%2020%207585%202200" value="+442075852200">+44 20 7585 2200   voip: [hidden email]
41 Buckmaster Road    m: <a href="tel:%2B44%207770%20465%20077" value="+447770465077">+44 7770 465 077   xmpp: [hidden email]
London SW11 1EN, UK   w: www.russel.org.uk  skype: russel_winder




--
Guillaume Laforge
Groovy Project Manager
Head of Groovy Development at SpringSource
http://www.springsource.com/g2one
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: Build futures

Russel Winder-3
On Thu, 2012-05-03 at 21:55 +0200, Guillaume Laforge wrote:
> It's not been planed to build the native launcher, but that might be
> possible.
> Currently, we're stuck with Ant, as there's a bug in Gradle that hangs the
> build when executing the tests.

I would have thought that Gradle could not have got to 1.0-RC-3 with a
known bug in a so closely connected project?  It cannot be that Gralde
release 1.0 and Groovy cannot be built with it.

--
Russel.
=============================================================================
Dr Russel Winder      t: +44 20 7585 2200   voip: sip:[hidden email]
41 Buckmaster Road    m: +44 7770 465 077   xmpp: [hidden email]
London SW11 1EN, UK   w: www.russel.org.uk  skype: russel_winder

signature.asc (205 bytes) Download Attachment
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: Build futures

Guillaume Laforge
Administrator
Well, unfortunately... This is the case.

Guillaume

Le 4 mai 2012 à 09:17, Russel Winder <[hidden email]> a écrit :

> On Thu, 2012-05-03 at 21:55 +0200, Guillaume Laforge wrote:
>> It's not been planed to build the native launcher, but that might be
>> possible.
>> Currently, we're stuck with Ant, as there's a bug in Gradle that hangs the
>> build when executing the tests.
>
> I would have thought that Gradle could not have got to 1.0-RC-3 with a
> known bug in a so closely connected project?  It cannot be that Gralde
> release 1.0 and Groovy cannot be built with it.
>
> --
> Russel.
> =============================================================================
> Dr Russel Winder      t: +44 20 7585 2200   voip: sip:[hidden email]
> 41 Buckmaster Road    m: +44 7770 465 077   xmpp: [hidden email]
> London SW11 1EN, UK   w: www.russel.org.uk  skype: russel_winder

---------------------------------------------------------------------
To unsubscribe from this list, please visit:

    http://xircles.codehaus.org/manage_email


Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: Build futures

Russel Winder-3
On Fri, 2012-05-04 at 09:23 +0200, Guillaume Laforge wrote:
> Well, unfortunately... This is the case.

Marketing nightmare for Gradle then.

"Here is the shiny new Gradle 1.0, Oh by the way it is impossible to
build Groovy, the language of Gradle, using Gradle."

Reddit, etc. will make hay with this.

--
Russel.
=============================================================================
Dr Russel Winder      t: +44 20 7585 2200   voip: sip:[hidden email]
41 Buckmaster Road    m: +44 7770 465 077   xmpp: [hidden email]
London SW11 1EN, UK   w: www.russel.org.uk  skype: russel_winder

signature.asc (205 bytes) Download Attachment
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: Build futures

Guillaume Laforge-4
Perhaps you can influence our Gradle friends and encourage to have a closer look at that issue before their final release?

Guillaume

On Fri, May 4, 2012 at 10:09 AM, Russel Winder <[hidden email]> wrote:
On Fri, 2012-05-04 at 09:23 +0200, Guillaume Laforge wrote:
> Well, unfortunately... This is the case.

Marketing nightmare for Gradle then.

"Here is the shiny new Gradle 1.0, Oh by the way it is impossible to
build Groovy, the language of Gradle, using Gradle."

Reddit, etc. will make hay with this.

--
Russel.
=============================================================================
Dr Russel Winder      t: <a href="tel:%2B44%2020%207585%202200" value="+442075852200">+44 20 7585 2200   voip: [hidden email]
41 Buckmaster Road    m: <a href="tel:%2B44%207770%20465%20077" value="+447770465077">+44 7770 465 077   xmpp: [hidden email]
London SW11 1EN, UK   w: www.russel.org.uk  skype: russel_winder



--
Guillaume Laforge
Groovy Project Manager
Head of Groovy Development at SpringSource
http://www.springsource.com/g2one
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: Build futures

ld@ldaley.com
As I've said multiple times now, it's a bug that Gradle hangs in this case but fixing that won't make the tests run.

The security policy that the tests use has to be wrong, because it's restricting Gradle in a way that it could never work.

On 04/05/2012, at 1:16 AM, Guillaume Laforge <[hidden email]> wrote:

Perhaps you can influence our Gradle friends and encourage to have a closer look at that issue before their final release?

Guillaume

On Fri, May 4, 2012 at 10:09 AM, Russel Winder <[hidden email]> wrote:
On Fri, 2012-05-04 at 09:23 +0200, Guillaume Laforge wrote:
> Well, unfortunately... This is the case.

Marketing nightmare for Gradle then.

"Here is the shiny new Gradle 1.0, Oh by the way it is impossible to
build Groovy, the language of Gradle, using Gradle."

Reddit, etc. will make hay with this.

--
Russel.
=============================================================================
Dr Russel Winder      t: <a href="tel:%2B44%2020%207585%202200" value="+442075852200">+44 20 7585 2200   voip: [hidden email]
41 Buckmaster Road    m: <a href="tel:%2B44%207770%20465%20077" value="+447770465077">+44 7770 465 077   xmpp: [hidden email]
London SW11 1EN, UK   w: www.russel.org.uk  skype: russel_winder



--
Guillaume Laforge
Groovy Project Manager
Head of Groovy Development at SpringSource
http://www.springsource.com/g2one
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: Build futures

Jochen Theodorou
Am 04.05.2012 15:41, schrieb Luke Daley:
> As I've said multiple times now, it's a bug that Gradle hangs in this
> case but fixing that won't make the tests run.
>
> The security policy that the tests use has to be wrong, because it's
> restricting Gradle in a way that it could never work.

First it has to be said to Russel... it is possible to compile Groovy
using gradle, but the SecurityTestSuit will hang because if some strange
conflict.

and then in general... isn't it possible to run the security test in a
forked JVM without too much influence from gradle? Wouldn't the test
then work? forkEvery=1 would do that, or not?

but actually we use that already... maybe wrong?

bye blackdrag

--
Jochen "blackdrag" Theodorou - Groovy Project Tech Lead
blog: http://blackdragsview.blogspot.com/
german groovy discussion newsgroup: de.comp.lang.misc
For Groovy programming sources visit http://groovy-lang.org


---------------------------------------------------------------------
To unsubscribe from this list, please visit:

    http://xircles.codehaus.org/manage_email


Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: Build futures

Cédric Champeau
To be honest, the problem is more that the build hangs more than the
test failing (the test currently often fails on Bamboo with the ant
build). And it hangs because Gradle fails to release a countdown latch.
Even if the groovy build uses a custom security configuration (I noticed
that it already has some gradle specific hacks, but I'm really no
expert), there's a problem with Gradle not releasing that latch.

Le 04/05/2012 16:18, Jochen Theodorou a écrit :

> Am 04.05.2012 15:41, schrieb Luke Daley:
>> As I've said multiple times now, it's a bug that Gradle hangs in this
>> case but fixing that won't make the tests run.
>>
>> The security policy that the tests use has to be wrong, because it's
>> restricting Gradle in a way that it could never work.
>
> First it has to be said to Russel... it is possible to compile Groovy
> using gradle, but the SecurityTestSuit will hang because if some
> strange conflict.
>
> and then in general... isn't it possible to run the security test in a
> forked JVM without too much influence from gradle? Wouldn't the test
> then work? forkEvery=1 would do that, or not?
>
> but actually we use that already... maybe wrong?
>
> bye blackdrag
>


--
Cédric Champeau
SpringSource - A Division Of VMware
http://www.springsource.com/
http://twitter.com/CedricChampeau


---------------------------------------------------------------------
To unsubscribe from this list, please visit:

    http://xircles.codehaus.org/manage_email


Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: Build futures

Jochen Theodorou
Am 04.05.2012 16:24, schrieb Cédric Champeau:
> To be honest, the problem is more that the build hangs more than the
> test failing (the test currently often fails on Bamboo with the ant
> build). And it hangs because Gradle fails to release a countdown latch.
> Even if the groovy build uses a custom security configuration (I noticed
> that it already has some gradle specific hacks, but I'm really no
> expert), there's a problem with Gradle not releasing that latch.

but if the test is executed in a forked JVM gradle should not have an
influence on that, should it?

bye blackdrag


--
Jochen "blackdrag" Theodorou - Groovy Project Tech Lead
blog: http://blackdragsview.blogspot.com/
german groovy discussion newsgroup: de.comp.lang.misc
For Groovy programming sources visit http://groovy-lang.org


---------------------------------------------------------------------
To unsubscribe from this list, please visit:

    http://xircles.codehaus.org/manage_email


12
Loading...